2018 4* S Smoke Monday (AU 7/11/17)

ellitor

26 minutes ago, fredst said:

Goober factor working against us, lol. GWill should stop by here for a comment soon....

In all seriousness people REALLY got all up in arms when greg brown got hired and I just merely pointed out something I am sure most people noticed and thought to themselves but did not say out loud in that I do not think he will be able to connect with these kids on the recruiting trail. He has never been known as a recruiter. at any of his stops  I just threw the goober line out there to be funny and really go over the top to sell my point and PEOPLE LOST THEIR MINDS! lol. I like Greg Brown seen some interviews about with him since he has been hired and you can instantly tell he is a DB guru and will be a great teacher and on the field coach. However it is also painfully obvious he is just not going to be able to connect with the recruits and get the top flight guys. We REALLY need to nail our evals on the guys we do take in the secondary. We have never got elite talent in the secondary so it is not like this is anything new honestly. Ever since we started recruiting at another level secondary has still been our biggest weakness if you are a star gazer like me! haha.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

In all seriousness people REALLY got all up in arms when greg brown got hired and I just merely pointed out something I am sure most people noticed and thought to themselves but did not say out loud in that I do not think he will be able to connect with these kids on the recruiting trail. He has never been known as a recruiter. at any of his stops  I just threw the goober line out there to be funny and really go over the top to sell my point and PEOPLE LOST THEIR MINDS! lol. I like Greg Brown seen some interviews about with him since he has been hired and you can instantly tell he is a DB guru and will be a great teacher and on the field coach. However it is also painfully obvious he is just not going to be able to connect with the recruits and get the top flight guys. We REALLY need to nail our evals on the guys we do take in the secondary. We have never got elite talent in the secondary so it is not like this is anything new honestly. Ever since we started recruiting at another level secondary has still been our biggest weakness if you are a star gazer like me! haha.

I hear you, Travis, lol. The interviews/film clips I've seen the dude looks and sounds like a great coach. I'm hoping he can turn that into solid recruiting BUT....Would love to see a T-Will equivalent coaching the secondary. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

I hear you, Travis, lol. The interviews/film clips I've seen the dude looks and sounds like a great coach. I'm hoping he can turn that into solid recruiting BUT....Would love to see a T-Will equivalent coaching the secondary. 

when you take big time risks hiring guys with little to none sec experience well we got THE BEST CASE when you hit the lottery in T-Will who is the very rare complete package in coach AND recruiter and then you got Kodi Burns who we rolled a snake eyes on to this point. Though I hope he shuts me up and pulls Matthew Hill this month.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

when you take big time risks hiring guys with little to none sec experience well we got THE BEST CASE when you hit the lottery in T-Will who is the very rare complete package in coach AND recruiter and then you got Kodi Burns who we rolled a snake eyes on to this point. Though I hope he shuts me up and pulls Matthew Hill this month.

I keep wondering why we don't hear more about Steele and Porter from the recruits. It seems like when they were at UAT and LSU you couldn't read a recruiting article without reading how much recruits loved those guys. I felt the same way with Lance Thompson last year. And yes, I realize it takes time to build relationships but I expected for them to be mentioned more prominently for this cycle. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I keep wondering why we don't hear more about Steele and Porter from the recruits. It seems like when were at UAT and LSU you couldn't read a recruiting article without reading how much they loved those guys. I felt the same way with Lance Thompson last year. And yes, I realize it takes time to build relationships

I've already outlined the answer on Porter. He's doing well in Georgia. Richt has his area in South Florida on lock down. His area in Alabama is new to him. He has to build up relationships there. Lastly on Porter we don't focus much on the areas he knows in Louisiana & Texas.

Steele has been mentioned quite a bit on defensive targets but T-Will is our superstar recruiter on D so he gets mentioned more and the staff has put him out more as the primary recruiter than Steele.on D targets.

11 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

but I expected for them to be mentioned more prominently for this cycle. 

This was ill advised thinking on Porter. He only had 2 main areas he recruited that are hold overs from his previous job that AU uses as already stated above.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Lastly on Porter we don't focus much on the areas he knows in Louisiana & Texas.

I'm sure that's an accurate assessment, but maybe with one of the nations best recruiters we should start focusing more on Louisiana and Texas. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm sure that's an accurate assessment, but maybe with one of the nations best recruiters we should start focusing more on Louisiana and Texas. 

Getting Gus to do something outside of his comfort level or thinking can be a very difficult task.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I don't think there's much talent in those places anyway ?....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I keep wondering why we don't hear more about Steele and Porter from the recruits. It seems like when they were at UAT and LSU you couldn't read a recruiting article without reading how much recruits loved those guys. I felt the same way with Lance Thompson last year. And yes, I realize it takes time to build relationships but I expected for them to be mentioned more prominently for this cycle. 

Steele has been very active on the recruiting trail. And I also agree we should be hearing more on Porter. Think its just a "new" thing with Porter. 

Sure hope he is impressed tomorrow at the visit. We should pull all the stops to snatch him from the Clemson tiger's mouth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUMASTERS said:

Tomorrow is setting up to be Big Cat part 2.

Not really. Smoke is the only one in tomorrow. The rest are in on a combination of Thurs-Saturday.

So no one has heard anything from today's visit. We just have to wait until he says something in an interview?

8 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

So no one has heard anything from today's visit. We just have to wait until he says something in an interview?

Usually is the case. Especially when there are no Auburn reporters there right now to cover it.

9 minutes ago, amsterjam said:

Well I noticed a Clemson reporter gave AU a CB so that seems to be a good sign.

Noticed that as well.  I also two saw interesting posts (for VIP members) on 247.  Not sure if I'm more curious on the one titled "Silent commit?" or "Big news coming".  I guess they might even be related, only time will tell.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, amsterjam said:

Well I noticed a Clemson reporter gave AU a CB so that seems to be a good sign.

Looks like a second Clemson reporter did as well. So confused right now.

in addition, looks like Clemson site has some nuggets

imagepng

Edited by brad5628AU

AUBURN, Ala. — Quindarious Monday had a feeling he’d be a Tiger. He just wasn’t sure which one.

Auburn had always been one of Monday’s top schools, but a recent offer from his childhood favorite Clemson made it a tough race. He set up a list of visits he planned to take, starting with Auburn then Georgia then Clemson on July 21. He even thought that July 21 visit could result in a commitment.

So Monday even surprised himself a little when he decided to commit to Auburn during his visit on Tuesday.

“I’m an Auburn Tiger,” Monday said, beaming as he left his visit. “When you know, you know. I knew. It feels like home every time I get down here. It’s just another home away from home. I’ve a part of the family now. I’m 100 percent Auburn. When I come down here, I feel totally different. It’s a real home.”

How much is 100 percent? Monday doesn’t expect to take those visits to Georgia and Clemson now.

That’s a big change of heart from earlier in the month when he had earlier in the month when he planned on committing to the other Tigers. But his visit to Auburn on Tuesday solidified everything.

“I was going to commit to Clemson on the 21st, but I saw what coach (Kevin) Steele had to say. They really brought it out of me,” Monday said. “Most coaches are not going to keep it real with you like that. They told me the real life of recruiting. Coach Steele is the only one that did that. It really touched me.”

Auburn recruiting-Quindarious Monday
Auburn safety target Quindarious Monday (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

On top of his personal conversations with Steele, Monday spent most of his day with Gus Malzahn. Monday wasn’t used to that kind of head coach involvement on a recruiting visit. Even Kristi Malzahn joined in on the day, which was another indication to Monday and his family that Auburn was the place to be.

The day ended with Malzahn eating dinner in his office with Monday and his parents. Malzahn asked Monday’s parents their favorite part of the visit. They said how comfortable they felt leaving their son for this coaching staff.

Then Malzahn asked Monday the same question. He gave Malzahn the best answer he could imagine.

“I said, ‘Me committing.’ He said, ‘Are you for real?’ He was so excited. He went and told the coaches in the meeting room. They came in piped up. Offensive coaches came in. Kevin Steele was just really happy. My mom cried. Mrs. Kristi, I think she really do love me. That’ll be my mother when I down there,” Monday said. “I’ve been with coach Gus the whole day. They don’t just do that. This place is special.”

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound safety becomes Auburn’s eighth commitment in the 2018 recruiting class and fills a major need for the Tigers at safety. With the 4-star’s commitment, Auburn moves to No. 43 in the team rankings.

It’s worth noting that Monday plays for the same Cam Newton 7v7 team as Justin Fields and Kearis Jackson who will visit Auburn on Wednesday.

Edited by aufan57
  • Like 6

Pretty good timing based on who is on campus this week. And love the shout out to Kristi Malzahn in his commitment tweet!?

Edited by au_bsci_04
  • Like 5

Wow. Can't wait to hear what happened here he seemed to be all Clemson. Great pickup for AU.

• Like 1

Boom!! Big pick up for he secondary can't wait to see him suit up on the orange and blue! Thought he was gonna be a Clemson signee thankful he's not though.