Null



ellitor

2018 4* DB Quindarious "Smoke" Monday (AU 7/11/17)

Recommended Posts

ClaytonAU    825
27 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

You have Bird.  You were the first person I thought of when I heard the news Tuesday.

Don't you mean when you heard the news... Monday? B)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Beaker    377

Maybe this is in bad taste and if it is, tell me and I will delete this or E can.

 

I recently went back and looked Kolbi Fuqua's vid just looking at his play as a Safety.  Man, the kid brings the wood and has a unique ability to snag picks.  His play is more impressive that QM (to me).  Is QM rated higher based on his height and potential or camp workouts maybe?  Fuqua is listed at 6'1".   I love how both play, but Fuqua just makes all kind of plays as a S.  Maybe more impact plays. Maybe it is a competition thing - maybe Fuqua plays against smaller kids?  Teach me something.

Edited by Beaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ellitor    4,707
2 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Just thought I would share a little info on Monday I was told today.  Kid is very underrated and has unlimited potential.  He is an absolute stud I was told.  He was the top safety on our board.  I was already very excited but the praises I have heard from him since he committed make me think we have an absolute STUD in QM.

FWIW the legendary CB below agrees. He campaigned hard for the Under Armour game invite Smoke just got.

giphy.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ellitor    4,707
2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Been saying it for a while. :laugh:

Yeah but your a big, yellow thing with feathers. People don't listen to you because they then have to question their sanity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ellitor    4,707
1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Maybe this is in bad taste and if it is, tell me and I will delete this or E can.

 

I recently went back and looked Kolbi Fuqua's vid just looking at his play as a Safety.  Man, the kid brings the wood and has a unique ability to snag picks.  His play is more impressive that QM (to me).  Is QM rated higher based on his height and potential or camp workouts maybe?  Fuqua is listed at 6'1".   I love how both play, but Fuqua just makes all kind of plays as a S.  Maybe more impact plays. Maybe it is a competition thing - maybe Fuqua plays against smaller kids?  Teach me something.

Not in poor taste at all. You are entitled to your opinion. We have at least 4 coaches who are members of the site so I'll tag them to see if they would like to share their experienced opinion: @bigbird, @corchjay, @JMR, & @Hunter48.  I'll also see if I can find something free from an analyst saying why they like Smoke so much. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ellitor    4,707

For @Beaker from Scout.com

 

Quote

 

Evaluation

Quindarious Monday is a balanced safety prospect who can impact many elements of a football game. On the hoof he is a long and lean prospect who flashes as both a pass defender and near the line of scrimmage in run support. He is a competitor who shines brightest at the point of contact, whether it is the football in the air or one-on-one in space. Monday has great feel for the position while in coverage, too, despite a lack of top-end speed. With his frame, long stride and physical play, Monday is a top-tier safety prospect who can be used in multiple roles at the next level. -- John Garcia, Jr.

Strengths

  • Anticipation
  • Coverage Awareness
  • Frame
  • Instincts
  • Tackling Ability

Areas to Improve

  • Backpedal Quickness
  • Change of Direction

 

From 247

Quote

 

The Tigers were the long-time leader for the 6-foot-3, 180-pound Monday, but had to hold off a late charge by “dream school” Clemson to secure the Peach State product’s verbal.

A four-star recruit, Monday is a long, athletic ball hawk, a banger upon impact and a prospect with improving cover skills. He sees the field well defensively and puts himself in position to break on the football, whether that’s downfield, in the red zone or the screen game.

Monday has the traits to develop into one of the better strong safeties in the SEC.

“He’s a dog, I’ll tell you that,” Derrick Tatum from Elite Talent Football Academy where Monday trains said. “He’s still raw because he’s still learning the position. They’re getting a guy that’s not maxed out. He still has room to grow.”

Tatum added that Monday has a 6-foot-8 wingspan.

“He has really good instincts for the ball and most importantly he’s a guy I know will have success because he wants to get better.”

 

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    WFE12    730
    58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

    FWIW the legendary CB below agrees. He campaigned hard for the Under Armour game invite Smoke just got.

    giphy.gif

    Man...To have anybody endorse you...I'd be ecstatic that it was him. GOAT CB, but better person too.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    WFE12    730
    49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

    6'3 with a 6'8 wingspan is very impressive. I find it funny that they say he "lacks top end speed" but his nickname is Smoke for that very reason, his speed.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    bigbird    5,952
    8 hours ago, Beaker said:

    Maybe this is in bad taste and if it is, tell me and I will delete this or E can.

     

    I recently went back and looked Kolbi Fuqua's vid just looking at his play as a Safety.  Man, the kid brings the wood and has a unique ability to snag picks.  His play is more impressive that QM (to me).  Is QM rated higher based on his height and potential or camp workouts maybe?  Fuqua is listed at 6'1".   I love how both play, but Fuqua just makes all kind of plays as a S.  Maybe more impact plays. Maybe it is a competition thing - maybe Fuqua plays against smaller kids?  Teach me something.

    Can you link the video? The only highlights I see are of him at WR.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    ellitor    4,707
    1 hour ago, bigbird said:

    Can you link the video? The only highlights I see are of him at WR.

    Yeah. I can't find safety clips of Fuqua either.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Beaker    377

    http://247sports.com/Video/Sophmore-highlights-4401550?View=Full.   

    5 hours ago, bigbird said:

    Can you link the video? The only highlights I see are of him at WR.

     

    3 hours ago, ellitor said:

    Yeah. I can't find safety clips of Fuqua either.

    Link should work.   First few plays are wideout, but 60%-80% (the midpart has the best parts) through you get the idea how he plays as a safety.  And this is all as sophomore.  Or so it is listed as a soph.   I see a lot of raw talent, but a lot of ability with some quality coaching.

    Edited by Beaker

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Maverick.AU    673
    20 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

    You have Bird.  You were the first person I thought of when I heard the news Tuesday.

    Same lol, Bird was the first person I thought of when I saw the news as well.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    austudnt23    1,210

    I am trying to think of a comparison for Monday. He has so much untapped potential, but I think he reminds me of Ronnie Harrison kind of atm. QM is faster than Harrison though and should be about the same weight by the time his first game at Auburn. Harrison is the current starting safety at Alabama for those that don't know.

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Tigerfinz    90
    11 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

    I am trying to think of a comparison for Monday. He has so much untapped potential, but I think he reminds me of Ronnie Harrison kind of atm. QM is faster than Harrison though and should be about the same weight by the time his first game at Auburn. Harrison is the current starting safety at Alabama for those that don't know.

    I'll take it

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    bigbird    5,952
    13 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

    I am trying to think of a comparison for Monday. He has so much untapped potential, but I think he reminds me of Ronnie Harrison kind of atm. QM is faster than Harrison though and should be about the same weight by the time his first game at Auburn. Harrison is the current starting safety at Alabama for those that don't know.

    Alec Ogletree(in HS) and Ha-ha Clinton Dixx are two that remind me a little of Monday

     

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    austudnt23    1,210
    1 hour ago, bigbird said:

    Alec Ogletree(in HS) and Ha-ha Clinton Dixx are two that remind me a little of Monday

     

    Those are very good didn't think of them. 

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    fredst    592
    2 hours ago, bigbird said:

    Alec Ogletree(in HS) and Ha-ha Clinton Dixx are two that remind me a little of Monday

     

    That's pretty good company...

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    ValleyTiger    551

    Heard that Greg Brown was comparing Smoke to HaHa Clinton-Dix who Brown coached at Bama.

    • Like 3

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    AuburnNTexas    820

    I was on vacation for a week on a church mission trip. This is great news to come back to. War Eagle and welcome to the Auburn family.

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    JMR    548
    On 7/14/2017 at 2:08 AM, ellitor said:

    Not in poor taste at all. You are entitled to your opinion. We have at least 4 coaches who are members of the site so I'll tag them to see if they would like to share their experienced opinion: @bigbird, @corchjay, @JMR, & @Hunter48.  I'll also see if I can find something free from an analyst saying why they like Smoke so much. 

    I'm no secondary guy, but I think most of what people are impressed with in Monday is exceptional length. Advertised as 6-3, he does look to be over 6 feet, and that's as a junior in high school. He's also pretty physical, though not quite the "brutal hitter" he describes himself as. Coverage-wise, he is really raw, but has the tools there to be refined. Excellent instincts vs the run, and a better tackler than most. Fuqua has been more of a wide receiver than a DB, but he's a little quicker than Monday, smaller, and not as physical. He's got good wheels, so he can probably play wherever he's needed, but he appears to consider himself more of an offensive guy. Saw very few plays of him on defense, and he was adequate but not special there. Just opinions based on ten minutes of tape, so take it for what it's worth. 

    • Like 5

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Beaker    377
    On 7/14/2017 at 1:08 AM, ellitor said:

    Not in poor taste at all. You are entitled to your opinion. We have at least 4 coaches who are members of the site so I'll tag them to see if they would like to share their experienced opinion: @bigbird, @corchjay, @JMR, & @Hunter48.  I'll also see if I can find something free from an analyst saying why they like Smoke so much. 

     

    2 hours ago, JMR said:

    I'm no secondary guy, but I think most of what people are impressed with in Monday is exceptional length. Advertised as 6-3, he does look to be over 6 feet, and that's as a junior in high school. He's also pretty physical, though not quite the "brutal hitter" he describes himself as. Coverage-wise, he is really raw, but has the tools there to be refined. Excellent instincts vs the run, and a better tackler than most. Fuqua has been more of a wide receiver than a DB, but he's a little quicker than Monday, smaller, and not as physical. He's got good wheels, so he can probably play wherever he's needed, but he appears to consider himself more of an offensive guy. Saw very few plays of him on defense, and he was adequate but not special there. Just opinions based on ten minutes of tape, so take it for what it's worth. 

    Awesome page.  Thanks to all for sharing the comparisons and scouting input.   Sure helps me see these players differently and with an eye to the future.  

    Cool thing is both seem to be have the ability to be highly successful at Auburn and one may become very special if he develops.  And both can catch....

    thanks - 

    Edited by Beaker

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    WFE12    730

    Quindarious Monday eager to add big names to Auburn’s 2018 class

     

    6_5314581.JPG
    (Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

     

    AUBURN, Ala. — Quindarious Monday is setting his sights on helping his future team add more high profile names to its class of 2018. 

    Monday, who was on campus Saturday for Auburn’s recruiting cookout, verbally committed on July 11 over Clemson. Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele played a key role in helping the Tigers land the 4-star safety out of Carver High School in Atlanta (Ga.), who views himself as a top level talent. 

    “There’s no DB in the country that going to do what I do,” Monday said. “I’m 6-3, I can run and I can hit. I can basically do everything that most DB's can’t.”

     

    Monday’s focus after verbally committing immediately shifted towards bringing some of his friends along with him to the Plains. 

    “I got to,” Monday said Saturday afternoon. “Got to get my boys out, it’s family now. Just have to protect the family. I’m working on Justin (Fields), working on Kearis (Jackson), working on Quez (Marquez Ezzard), but he went on to chose Florida State.”

    He spent Saturday working on defensive end Caleb Tannor and linebacker Michael Harris. Monday has a history with Harris going back to their days of playing rec football against each other.  Tannor was the more urgent concern as he’s set to commit on Monday (the day of the week). 

    “He (Tannor) can play football, he’d be a great addition to the Auburn Tigers,” Monday said.

    Monday feels about confident about Tannor’s upcoming announcement. 

    "I think they have a chance on Caleb,” Monday said. “I think they have a real good chance on him. I think they showed him what he needed to see today. I feel great on him."

    The 6-foot-3, 175-pounder also talked about Jamien Sherwood, a fellow safety target planning on making a decision "soon.”

    “We fit right,” Monday said. “He’s got size. It (Auburn’s secondary) look good between both of us.”

    Auburn is trying to reload at a safety position that’s one of the thinnest (talent-wise) on the roster. The Tigers unexpectedly lost Marlon Character in May and will graduate three players (Tray Matthews, Stephen Roberts and Nick Ruffin). One of the reasons driving Monday’s decision to commit to Auburn was the opportunity to play early. 

    “That was big because my dream was always to play as a freshman,” Monday said. “That should be everyone’s dream to play football.”

    Edited by WFE12
    • Like 2

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    fredst    592

    He seems.....confident 😬

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    WFE12    730
    11 hours ago, fredst said:

    He seems.....confident 😬

    Where there's Smoke there's fire...😉

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    WFE12    730
    2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

    Where there's Smoke there's fire...😉

    😎

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now