2018 4* S Smoke Monday (AU 7/11/17)

ellitor

Smoke was on an OV with AU this weekend. Keith just posted this...

Going back to ATL -- then heading back to AU tonight.

Hopes to practice with the Tigers tomorrow.

For some reason, he plans to sign Thursday -- NOT Wedesday. I'm not sure why.

But again he will be at Auburn tonight, so no worries.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Not gonna lie, I was a little nervous when I saw this thread on top of the page.

Fret not my friend...He will be ours in due time.

IMG_0945.GIF

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Smoke was on an OV with AU this weekend. Keith just posted this...

This is great...He can practice and Tray can be in his ear teaching him the ropes...Got a feeling Smoke doesn't need too much teaching though.

47 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I’ve been waiting for @bigbird to start a thread titled “Smoke is Gone!” With a pic of someone putting out a cigarette or something for a good while now....

Well not anymore...:banghead:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Like alot of people on this board I am certainly glad he is one of the ones enrolling early.

I'd say Monday is the most important recruit in this class. Huge getting him in early. He is going to need to play a lot next year. 

Edit: Didn't realize that Sherwood was a EE also. Huge. Getting these two end early is :cheers: .

Edited by WarDamnEagleWDE
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'd say Monday is the most important recruit in this class. Huge getting him in early. He is going to need to play a lot next year. 

I agree, have said the same since he committed.  Biggest position of need...by far. I'm thrilled he is here for bowl practice. He needs to become Trey's shadow for the next few weeks

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree, have said the same since he committed.  Biggest position of need...by far. I'm thrilled he is here for bowl practice. He needs to become Trey's shadow for the next few weeks

@bigbird MEH! Safety signees are a waste of a perfectly good scholarship that could have been given to a linebacker. Linebacker culls can go play safety.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

@bigbird MEH! Safety signees are a waste of a perfectly good scholarship that could have been given to a linebacker. Linebacker culls can go play safety.

I know your post was mostly tongue & cheek but were you happy with the way the back side played when Tray was injured & not able to keep the DBs straight?...particularly the LSU game.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I know your post was mostly tongue & cheek but were you happy with the way the back side played when Tray was injured & not able to keep the DBs straight?...particularly the LSU game.

I forgot that you were humor impaired. The post was a joke, jabbing a stick at a certain mod and also at myself to some extent. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I forgot that you were humor impaired. The post was a joke, jabbing a stick at a certain mod and also at myself to some extent. :)

Thank you for understanding.

• Haha 2

Quindarious Monday wants to do more than just fill shoes of Auburn’s outgoing safeties

AUBURN, Ala. — Quindarious Monday knows what he’s stepping into when he takes the field for Auburn football practice for the first time this week.

Monday will practice on the same field as Tray Matthews, Stephen Roberts and Nick Ruffin — but he’ll never play in a game with them. That trio of senior safeties will be gone after the Peach Bowl.

For the early enrollee from Atlanta, that means the door is wide open for playing time as a freshman in 2018.

“I’m going to come in and grind. … I’ve got to fill their shoes,” Monday said Sunday after his official visit to the Plains. ” I mean, they did a great job this year, so I’ve just got to come next year and do way better than they did.”

MORE: 4 freshmen who could break out for Auburn football in 2018

That’s a lofty goal for Monday, an Under Armour All-American safety. The 4-star playmaker has even bigger dreams at Auburn, and the journey toward them will begin Monday with his first practice.

“[Auburn defensive backs coach Greg Brown] told me I had an opportunity to come in and play as a freshman,” Monday said. “That’s something I look forward to, because I know I’m trying to make it to the league. So by starting my freshman year, it’ll get me closer and closer to getting to the league.”

Matthews and Roberts started almost every game at safety over the last two seasons for the Tigers. Ruffin was a key depth piece. Their departures will leave Auburn with few options at the position. Jordyn Peters and Daniel Thomas have starting experience, but they also could be moved to other spots in the secondary.

Monday could make some of those decisions easier by proving to be college-ready in his first season at Auburn. Enrolling early will give him an advantage in achieving that goal.

“It’s important because I can come in and learn the defense real quick, so basically when we start to get up and running, I’m going to know everything,” Monday said.

Monday wants to add at least 15 pounds over the next several months as he eyes a role on Kevin Steele’s defense in the 2018 season.

First, though, he’ll have to officially get going at Auburn. He plans to practice this week but will return home to Atlanta on Thursday to sign his letter of intent with the Tigers.

Those early practices will be crucial for Monday, who isn’t short on confidence as he looks to attack the vacancies in Auburn’s depth chart in the near future.

“I might mess up a few times, but when I get my rhythm, it’s going to be hard to stop me,” Monday said.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

”I mean, they did a great job this year, so I’ve just got to come next year and do way better than they did.”

Q. Monday is a great recruit, but I'm also very high on Swaggy McSwagface. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Q. Monday is a great recruit, but I'm also very high on Swaggy McSwagface. 

When you ball out like he did this season on offense, defense, & special teams with a blocked punt in 7 games you can afford to be Swaggy Q. I don't see how he isn't a top 3 ATH in the class & Top 100 overall. He'll have a chance to prove himself at the Under Armour game next month though.

• Like 2

Just now, ellitor said:

When you ball out like he did this season on offense, defense, & special teams with a blocked punt in 7 games you can afford to be Swaggy Q. I don't see how he isn't a top 3 ATH in the class & Top 100 overall. He'll have a chance to prove himself at the Under Armour game next month though.

Yup! Hopefully my post came across as "tongue in cheek and 100% serious". As in, I seriously want swag in the secondary. I want those guys to be the cockiest bunch of SOBs in the league. And when it's a guy with a resume like you just laid out???!! The fact that he's already moved onto campus makes me want to hug somebody. 

• Love 2