2018 4* S Smoke Monday (AU 7/11/17)

ellitor

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Brian Robinson was probably the last elite safety

I wouldn't necessarily call him elite, but Herring was pretty dang good.  If memory serves, he was all-SEC at DB, and holds (or held) the AU record for games started.

WDE!

Got some Crystal Balls to clemson today which is no shock. They are at that level now after their run of 10 win seasons of they are getting who they want. 

Brian Robinson was a stud.  If he wasn't a thug Houston would have been a beast for Bowden as well.

20 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

AU has to close this kid . Great frame and athleticism. 

This would be an incredible catch, but it appears Clemson has this one in the bag unless we can roar out of the gates and beat the crap out of them in week 2. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

This would be an incredible catch, but it appears Clemson has this one in the bag unless we can roar out of the gates and beat the crap out of them in week 2. 

apparently dream school offers mean offers from school who have only been top level for a few years....... These kids are so dang impressionable lol

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

arky last season is the only time I can remember in gus tenure that we have beat down a solid opponent and stepped on the throat. O WAIT! That and lsu in 2014. I live for games like that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

arky last season is the only time I can remember in gus tenure that we have beat down a solid opponent and stepped on the throat. O WAIT! That and lsu in 2014. I live for games like that.

Its gonna be an awesome game. Even better that it will be during week 2 and not week 1.

• Like 1

Just now, thaitopher said:

Its gonna be an awesome game. Even better that it will be during week 2 and not week 1.

clemson thought they had seen it all last year!!! wait till we break out offensive lineman taking snaps at QB!!!! They won't know what to do. In all seriousness this is our best shot to beat them as they are in between franchise qbs with the gap year between watson and trevor lawrence.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

clemson thought they had seen it all last year!!! wait till we break out offensive lineman taking snaps at QB!!!! They won't know what to do. In all seriousness this is our best shot to beat them as they are in between franchise qbs with the gap year between watson and trevor lawrence.

That defense though will be top 5 in the nation by the end of the year. They dominated us last year and had a bunch of seniors who left the year before. Now all of those guys have had an extra year of experience under their belt. To our credit though, JF3 and Jeremy Johnsond wont be behind center

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

That defense though will be top 5 in the nation by the end of the year. They dominated us last year and had a bunch of seniors who left the year before. Now all of those guys have had an extra year of experience under their belt. To our credit though, JF3 and Jeremy Johnsond wont be behind center

WE HOPE jf3 is not behind center. If we ever get some gadget play with him we all know who yanked back playcalling for that 1 play....... haha

I hope they are easily impressed.  I think Auburn will make plenty of good impressions this season.  I think Gus does need to run up some scores this season.  We need to build some swagger and sizzle to flip some kids.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

I hope they are easily impressed.  I think Auburn will make plenty of good impressions this season.  I think Gus does need to run up some scores this season.  We need to build some swagger and sizzle to flip some kids.

Beaker Beaker One. Nine. We are on the same page with that! Gus a lot of times has not shown that killer instinct and swagger where a for sure blowout becomes a respectable final score. We have ground to make up in recruiting! Any time we can put the foot down and beat down a team this season WE NEED TO DO IT!

Nice guys finish last in recruiting.   We need some edge.  Thoughts of those flat, blue Auburn helmets come to mind.   Hmmmm.  Nasty edge.

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Beaker said:

Nice guys finish last in recruiting.   We need some edge.  Thoughts of those flat, blue Auburn helmets come to mind.   Hmmmm.  Nasty edge.

Sure the ACC isn't quite as strong as the SEC, but what Clemson has done is impressive and the recruits believe in swiney. AU has to get some type of consistency and it doesn't mean 8-5.. AU has money, tradition, and facilities to be a consistent winner . Wining does all the recruiting, not the coaches JMO... 

15 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Looking at multiple sources, I see the clemson defense returning 4 starters and another source says they're returning 7 starters. It definitely shows the depth they have at those defensive positions last year, especially on the line and the linebacker spots. I think our offensive line will be key in winning that game.

Man, I'm hoping against hope that somehow we pull this guy to AU. I would love to have a big thumper on the back end, like a Kenny Easley (for those of my vintage). I don't want much?....

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

Man, I'm hoping against hope that somehow we pull this guy to AU. I would love to have a big thumper on the back end, like a Kenny Easley (for those of my vintage). I don't want much?....

Love seeing that guy play

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Beaker said:

Don't count on it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Don't count on it.

This.  If we get a 14 point lead on anyone Gus will be on the headset telling Lindsey to tone it down so fast it ain't funny.  Then when we need to go hard again we won't be able to catch that momentum like we had.  Then after the game we will hear how we were in position to make plays but just did not execute and get the job done lol!  I am somewhat serious and somewhat attempting humor but I sure do hope we don't do this.  Like others have said when coaches are telling kids you have one foot out the door you better beat the brake pads off of those teams to show otherwise.  Just look at the comments from the Ford kid, TE, about Auburn needing to show him what they are going to do this year.  If we see anymore play-calling that has Chandler Cox under center then you know Gus is in charge and the season will mercifully be his last in my opinion.  I think all of us expect to see a much more aggressive wide open offense that uses our talent at WR and stretches the field both vertically and most importantly horizontally.  The key to our offense clicking and being successful this year will be the pressure we put on the LB position.  If our offense does not give the LB any other responsibility other than the run it will be tough.  Zero passes to the TE and zero quick slants make the game way too simple for a defense to defend.

4 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

This.  If we get a 14 point lead on anyone Gus will be on the headset telling Lindsey to tone it down so fast it ain't funny.  Then when we need to go hard again we won't be able to catch that momentum like we had.  Then after the game we will hear how we were in position to make plays but just did not execute and get the job done lol!  I am somewhat serious and somewhat attempting humor but I sure do hope we don't do this.  Like others have said when coaches are telling kids you have one foot out the door you better beat the brake pads off of those teams to show otherwise.  Just look at the comments from the Ford kid, TE, about Auburn needing to show him what they are going to do this year.  If we see anymore play-calling that has Chandler Cox under center then you know Gus is in charge and the season will mercifully be his last in my opinion.  I think all of us expect to see a much more aggressive wide open offense that uses our talent at WR and stretches the field both vertically and most importantly horizontally.  The key to our offense clicking and being successful this year will be the pressure we put on the LB position.  If our offense does not give the LB any other responsibility other than the run it will be tough.  Zero passes to the TE and zero quick slants make the game way too simple for a defense to defend.

Spot on man...I could see the scenario and the opposite happening in some miracle. Part of Gus's makeup, could have sworn he ran up the score when he coached high school though..

I don't remember all these games where Gus chose to take the gas off. I do remember several games where the opposing defense made adjustments at halftime and Gus didn't. I also remember a lot of games where the game had just started or we were behind a touchdown and he kept calling inside runs on 1st down as though he were trying to protect a lead. It's not like he's ever had some Air Raid-esque offense at Auburn that he chose to stash in his back pocket for a rainy day. 

And please don't bring up the tempo thing. Tempo only works when the players are adequately experienced and the offense is executing and getting first downs. We haven't had that the last 2 years. The 2 years before that, we couldn't stop anyone from scoring. As @GwillMac6 pointed out, we've had exactly 2 games against opponents with a pulse since Gus came back where both sides of the ball were totally clicking- LSU 2014 and Arkansas 2016. I don't recall Gus taking his foot off the gas in those games, so I'm not sure why one would believe that he chose to in all these other games.

Maybe the Arkansas thing is confusing folks who are thinking of Tuberville? 

• Like 1