2018 4* S Smoke Monday (AU 7/11/17)

ellitor

On 7/1/2017 at 9:49 PM, GwillMac6 said:

These kids are so dang impressionable lol

So are posters who want only the commits with high star ratings.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So are posters who want only the commits with high star ratings.

ipWW8ZafqTAqc.gif

lol FIESTY today are we?! well yah that is generally how it works. You want the best players available!!! Ain't NOTHING wrong with that!!! I respect the super shade though!!! lol that was well played! WOOOO!!

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

If we get a 14 point lead on anyone Gus will be on the headset telling Lindsey to tone it down so fast it ain't funny.  Then when we need to go hard again we won't be able to catch that momentum like we had.

You're projecting Tubberville on Gus.  Gus has never been one to take his foot off the gas. Like @McLoofus alluded to, Gus's problem is that it takes him the full 3rd quarter to adjust to the other teams adjustments.  Hopefully Chip is better at that.

As much as people want to deny it, because of our record the past two years, there aren't many coaches with a better understanding of how to hang a crap load of points on another team then Gus. The fact that he hand picked Chip tells me that he's going to be on board with what Chip wants to do.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 11:20 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Beaker Beaker One. Nine. We are on the same page with that! Gus a lot of times has not shown that killer instinct and swagger where a for sure blowout becomes a respectable final score. We have ground to make up in recruiting! Any time we can put the foot down and beat down a team this season WE NEED TO DO IT!

LOL at you 2 silly men. The only thing that will matter about a final score this season for recruiting in AUs favor is whether we get Ws or Ls. You guys just want it done because that's how you roll. Nothing wrong with that either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol FIESTY today are we?! well yah that is generally how it works. You want the best players available!!! Ain't NOTHING wrong with that!!! I respect the super shade though!!! lol that was well played! WOOOO!!

Not fiesty. It was a friendly tongue & cheek jab at your view on the matter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus has never been one to take his foot off the gas.

I think Miss St last year would completely disagree with you.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not fiesty. It was a friendly tongue & cheek jab at your view on the matter.

game recognize game E!!!! I see you!!! lol that was very well played. that round goes to you! haha. touche.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

and the opener against petrino in 2015 would also like a word with those who say Gus lets his foot off the gas......

• Like 1

Just now, ellitor said:

Gus didn't take his foot off the gas against Mississippi State. Mississippi state adjusted to focus on Kam, slowing him down. One drive was shut down by Sean taking a sack.  The next, Kam fumbled. The third, we were buried deep and Kam couldn't dig us out. Finally, with the game in hand, we put Franklin in.

Don't forget, in many ways, Mississippi State was Kam's coming out party. Had they been fully aware of the weapon he was, they may have adjusted their game plan earlier.

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus didn't take his foot off the gas against Mississippi State. Mississippi state adjusted to focus on Kam, slowing him down. One drive was shut down by Sean taking a sack.  The next, Kam fumbled. The third, we were buried deep and Kam couldn't dig us out. Finally, with the game in hand, we put Franklin in.

Don't forget, in many ways, Mississippi State was Kam's coming out party. Had they been fully aware of the weapon he was, they may have adjusted their game plan earlier.

The pace being a lot slower  was our doing & there were no early down passes to mix things up a bit like the 1st half. We damn sure did take the gas pedal off on pace & play calls.  I personally don't disagree with doing it. Gus did it likely to shorten the game & avoid injuries. I can't blame him. I would have done the same thing too.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

This is not the thread but Gus admitted in the interview 'SEC in 60' that the second half we were going to run the ball.  In the first half of that game we split the plays pass/run. Yes MSST made some adjustments but Gus and AU did not play the same game they did the first half. AU ran to slow the game. AU could have hung more on MSST that game. Did we even score the second half? I don't care how you color it that's taking your foot of the gas IMO.

Edited by C'viewTiger
  • Like 1

Just now, AU04ever said:

Did we even score the second half?

Miss St won the 2nd half 14-3.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Miss St won the 2nd half 14-3.

That sounds like something a bammur would say...?

• Like 2

Just now, gctiger said:

THEY DID. during the shula era. specifically the honk if you sacked brodie game. AHHHHHH much better times in this rivalry.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

THEY DID. during the shula era. specifically the honk if you sacked brodie game. AHHHHHH much better times in this rivalry.

I remember the 2005 Iron Bowl when Tubs  hung 21 points on them in the first quarter then called odd the dogs in the second half.   They were all giddy over outscoring Auburn in the second half.  They won the battle and lost the war!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I remember the 2005 Iron Bowl when Tubs  hung 21 points on them in the first quarter then called odd the dogs in the second half.   They were all giddy over outscoring Auburn in the second half.  They won the battle and lost the war!

lol that is exactly the game I was referencing. you are correct sir!! they did exactly that. Man I miss Mike Shula being their coach! haha

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Na. They would find a way to claim some kind of championship for it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

So is Clemson in the driver's seat here?

No change since you last posted 6 days ago. Link

• Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 5:25 PM, AU04ever said:

AU could have hung more on MSST that game.

I don't know how you can say that.  We barely had the ball in the second half, not because we didn't try to move it, but because we didn't execute when we needed to. Sean missed a key 3rd down pass and took a sack on another key 3rd down. Kam lost a fumble. E is right that we didn't pass on 2nd down like we did in the first half, but we also didn't have very many 2nd down opportunities to attempt a pass as our drives consisted of 5 (Sean sacked on 3rd and 7), 4 (Kam fumbled on 2nd down), and 3 (Sean misses a pass on 3rd and 3) plays before the final drive where we emptied the bench and drove for a field goal with Franklin behind center for most of the drive.

Would we have done better if Gus called a couple of pass plays on 2nd down in drives 1 & 2?  Maybe... but we also weren't getting it done against their adjustments.

• Like 1

There is the old AU - Miss St game thread on the football forum to continue that discussion. Get on Monday here peeps.

• Like 1