2018 4* S Smoke Monday (AU 7/11/17)

ellitor

The first shoe to drop in what I expect to be a pretty incredible run over the next 5-6 weeks in recruiting.  Monday commits!!!  

War Eagle Coaches keep doing your thing!  

Come on down Miller, Fields, Hill... let's get this train rolling down hill

Edited by corchjay
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Hat's off to Gus. Reading Monday's statement, above, he said he spent the whole day with Coach Malzahn and that's what sold him. Lets give credit where credit is due.

It was a team effort.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2017 at 8:19 PM, AUMASTERS said:

Every time I come to this thread I hoping Monday is going to commit, and there is going to be another shot of Tuesday Weld.

Both your wishes have come true!

Aj0sDm2UshV7AAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

8XV5QC5tLglxoAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

It was a team effort.

It's always a team effort, down to the servers in the soup line. When a kid commits and says he spent the whole day with Gus, Kodi or Aubie and that's what convinced him, then give credit where credit is due.

• Like 2

From what I can tell there was no backing off from Clemson nor any reports of it from their reporters. We just did this on the visit...

WAwkSKq.gif

• Like 5

Wow. War damn eagle, Smoke! And a major h/t to Gus, Kevin, Kristi, and the entire staff. That's fantastic. Given his talent and the depth chart after this season, this is probably the biggest catch we could have outside of Fields. Awesome!

• Like 3

Also Smoke's planned visits to UGA this weekend & Clemson the next weekend for their picnic/cookout are now off the table.

• Like 7

Just now, ellitor said:

Also Smoke's planned visits to UGA this weekend & Clemson the next weekend for their picnic/cookout are now off the table.

I wouldn't be shocked if he still went unless the coaches specifically said don't go.  Generally our coaches encourage kids to visit to be sure they want to be at Auburn.  I'm not afraid of the competition either.  It comes down to if he wants to be at Auburn or was just caught up in the moment.  Much better to find out in July then in January.

• Like 1

Hey @Gowebb11. You wanted to see Steele making an impact on the recruiting trail. Well here it it...

BREAKING: Major safety target commits to Auburn over Clemson, Georgia, others

AUBURN, Ala. — Quindarious Monday had a feeling he’d be a Tiger. He just wasn’t sure which one.

Auburn had always been one of Monday’s top schools, but a recent offer from his childhood favorite Clemson made it a tough race. He set up a list of visits he planned to take, starting with Auburn then Georgia then Clemson on July 21. He even thought that July 21 visit could result in a commitment.

So Monday even surprised himself a little when he decided to commit to Auburn during his visit on Tuesday.

“I’m an Auburn Tiger,” Monday said, beaming as he left his visit. “When you know, you know. I knew. It feels like home every time I get down here. It’s just another home away from home. I’ve a part of the family now. I’m 100 percent Auburn. When I come down here, I feel totally different. It’s a real home.”

How much is 100 percent? Monday doesn’t expect to take those visits to Georgia and Clemson now.

That’s a big change of heart from earlier in the month when he had earlier in the month when he planned on committing to the other Tigers. But his visit to Auburn on Tuesday solidified everything.

“I was going to commit to Clemson on the 21st, but I saw what coach (Kevin) Steele had to say. They really brought it out of me,” Monday said. “Most coaches are not going to keep it real with you like that. They told me the real life of recruiting. Coach Steele is the only one that did that. It really touched me.”

Auburn recruiting-Quindarious Monday
Auburn safety target Quindarious Monday (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

On top of his personal conversations with Steele, Monday spent most of his day with Gus Malzahn. Monday wasn’t used to that kind of head coach involvement on a recruiting visit. Even Kristi Malzahn joined in on the day, which was another indication to Monday and his family that Auburn was the place to be.

The day ended with Malzahn eating dinner in his office with Monday and his parents. Malzahn asked Monday’s parents their favorite part of the visit. They said how comfortable they felt leaving their son for this coaching staff.

Then Malzahn asked Monday the same question. He gave Malzahn the best answer he could imagine.

“I said, ‘Me committing.’ He said, ‘Are you for real?’ He was so excited. He went and told the coaches in the meeting room. They came in piped up. Offensive coaches came in. Kevin Steele was just really happy. My mom cried. Mrs. Kristi, I think she really do love me. That’ll be my mother when I down there,” Monday said. “I’ve been with coach Gus the whole day. They don’t just do that. This place is special.”

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound safety becomes Auburn’s eighth commitment in the 2018 recruiting class and fills a major need for the Tigers at safety. With the 4-star’s commitment, Auburn moves to No. 43 in the team rankings.

It’s worth noting that Monday plays for the same Cam Newton 7v7 team as Justin Fields and Kearis Jackson who will visit Auburn on Wednesday.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You're getting excited aren't ya. Fields & company won't be here til Thursday, not tomorrow.

Yeah and sec country said Wednesday. They need to get their stuff right.

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's always a team effort, down to the servers in the soup line. When a kid commits and says he spent the whole day with Gus, Kodi or Aubie and that's what convinced him, then give credit where credit is due.

You're right!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You're getting excited aren't ya. Fields & company won't be here til Thursday, not tomorrow.

So now I'm confused. SECCountry says Fields & company will be here tomorrow. 247 & others have it as a Thursday-Friday trip.

Welcome young Man. You WILL be forever changed. God Bless and War Eagle!!!

War Eagle and embrace the Creed.  You'll be a changed man for life.

Just rewatched his film.  Love how he brings energy.  Force=MA after all.  At 6'3" imagine what he will play at after one season of weights and nutrition.  Wow!

Edited by Beaker

Wow, I can't believe this. I had written this guy off as a Clemson commit for sure. We needed this guy so bad but who am I telling? Everybody on this forum knew that.

This guy has some really good hands too! Ive seen way too many passes hit our DBs right in the hands and it bounces off like it hit bricks. 

Edited by AU80cruiser

I thought our secondary coach was too goofy to get these type of recruits ? So excited 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Call me Debbie Downer, but if he was going to commit to Clemson and changes his mind over Weekend, shouldn't we be worried for a flip? 

Always worry about a flip, particularly when the commitment is done while on a visit. "Buyer's remorse" may set in but it's better to have him committed than not.

• Like 5

WOW! Really great news. This kid is going to be a BIG TIME Player in the SEC. Probably the best Safety commitment we have gotten in many years. 

If you include Tray Matthews (who did not technically sign with us but has been in Auburn for four years), Matthews is the biggest prospect we've had, but I think Monday has a higher ceiling with a better skill set (coverage, ball awareness, hands, etc.) for today's game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Call me Debbie Downer, but if he was going to commit to Clemson and changes his mind over Weekend, shouldn't we be worried for a flip? 

He's not visiting Clemson like he had planned. Reality is he fell in love with AU when he visited in April but he had not been back before yesterday. When he came back yesterday he feel in love all over again.

• Like 2

Whaaaaaaaattt?!?!?!?!?

What an AUsome surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Celebration at the preacherman household tonight!!!

War Eagle Smoke!!!!!!  Welcome to the family!!!!

Fields and Smoke will make this a fantastic class!  We need to double whatever we are paying Cam!? (It wouldn't hurt to give Kristi and CKS a raise too!)

On 6/29/2017 at 9:25 AM, bigbird said:

He has been my #1 recruit since day 1.  No matter what, if we lose out on him its gonna suck.  

Are you happy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1