2018 4* S Smoke Monday (AU 7/11/17)

ellitor

14 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Yep and he's retweeting posts referring to him taking a official visit to Clemson. One fan even referred JFIII to QM saying that he wasn't having fun and that's why he left but QM corrected him and said that he left because he wasn't playing. I read back over his words from his commitment and all looks convincing but you just never know with these kids. I was excited when he committed on the actual visit day but was nervous about it at the same time. He could just want his ego stroked...Idk.

IMHO, he's the most valuable commit we have at the moment.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Quindarious Monday still ‘real solid’ to Auburn, but Clemson is ‘coming real hard’

ATLANTA — On Thursday morning, Quindarious “Smoke” Monday made it official: He’s an Under Armour All-American.

The 4-star safety from Carver High in Atlanta stood before classmates, family and coaches to accept the high honor as the second person in his high school’s history to make the star-studded All-American game. Monday was the life of the party, as he usually is, with seemingly every classmate in the school trying to take a photo with him at his ceremony.

It was a similar scene to some of the top college programs in the nation, as they try to pry Monday away from Auburn’s grasp.

RELATED: 5 things to know about Auburn safety commit Quindarious Monday

Monday committed to Auburn in July, somewhat surprisingly. He was slated to visit Clemson 10 day after his Auburn visit, and it was Clemson that most — Monday included — believed he’d choose. But he left the Plains as an Auburn commit, and everyone else has been playing catch-up since.

“It’s still solid, real solid,” Monday said.

But that won’t stop Clemson — and to a lesser extent Georgia — from trying to flip him. And, at the very least, Monday is listening to the Clemson sales pitch intently.

Auburn recruiting-Quindarious Monday
4-star safety Quindarious Monday gave the Tigers a much-needed boost on the recruiting trail. (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

Clemson stayed on Monday immediately after his Auburn commitment and managed to get him on campus for a late-summer visit. Monday hasn’t been able to take any college trips since the season started because his high school team plays so many games on Saturdays.

But Monday said he’s likely to visit all three of those schools above — Auburn, Clemson and Georgia. For Auburn, Clemson is the team to be weary of.

“Oh yeah. Clemson’s still hard on me. They’re hard on me, haven’t stopped,” Monday said. “After I committed the were like, ‘We’re still going to be on you hard. It’s just a verbal commit, so we’re still going to be on you hard.'”

So obviously, when Auburn and Clemson faced off Week 2, Monday’s eyes were firmly on the TV screen. He didn’t miss a single snap, he said. He was dialed in.

Many Auburn fans will make the assumption that’s bad news for them. That’s not necessarily the case. As a defensive player, Monday was blown away by the defensive and secondary play of both teams, which only further validated why Auburn and Clemson rose to the top for him.

“Both of the defenses were, oh man. I mean, I’m a defensive player, so I got to watch. Them are two really good teams,” Monday said. “It’s no easy decision, but I’m just going to have to make whatever decision is best for me and my family. Right now, that’s Auburn.”

RELATED: How Auburn surprisingly stole Monday from out of Clemson’s grasp

That last tidbit will be music to Gus Malzahn’s ears.

Malzahn took a more involved role than normal to Monday’s recruitment, especially the family visit Monday took when he committed. He hasn’t backed off since that day. In fact, when Monday has his weekly phone call with Auburn, it’s almost always with Malzahn.

They spoke last week prior to Auburn’s and Monday’s games. Malzahn praised Monday’s early-season performances and said he’d be attending a Carver game soon.

“I actually talked with coach Gus last week. We were talking about how the games have been going, how the season’s going,” Monday said. “He said he’s going to try to come see a game and see how his star is looking. He said I’ve been looking good, so I want to put a show on for him.”

Monday hasn’t set any visits officially, though he plans to make it to Auburn in the “next couple of weeks,” which he said will likely be for the Mississippi State game or Ole Miss game. He wants to take his official visit for the Iron Bowl, but that hasn’t been finalized yet.

Check out SEC Country later for more from Monday’s ceremony.

14 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

^ Another reason to be at a crossroads regarding Gus's future with the team @GwillMac6

lol UGHHHHHHH the catch 22 continues.

This cat can flat out play.   Instincts and just seems to have a passion to hit people.

• Like 1

I really like what his attitude appears to be.  Willing to do whatever his team needs.  Play WR, DB, Kick Off, Punt, whatever.  And on D he just wants to hit you as hard as he can.  Hope he sticks with his committment!

• Like 1

On 9/26/2017 at 9:10 AM, lkeel75 said:

I really like what his attitude appears to be.  Willing to do whatever his team needs.  Play WR, DB, Kick Off, Punt, whatever.  And on D he just wants to hit you as hard as he can.  Hope he sticks with his committment!

Only thing is that he is cocky, let's just admit it. That stepping over people like he does is disrespectful..some stuff is ok, that just kinda bothered me. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Only thing is that he is cocky, let's just admit it. That stepping over people like he does is disrespectful..some stuff is ok, that just kinda bothered me. 

I want more players like that on our defense so badly I can barely stand it. They don't all have to be that way, but you have to have a few.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

He has some Nick Fairley in him. He plays to punish people and rub their nose in it. Personally, I loved the Nick Fairley attitude, and I love what I see from Smoke. But it does chafe some folks, and their view is justified.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

He has some Nick Fairley in him. He plays to punish people and rub their nose in it. Personally, I loved the Nick Fairley attitude, and I love what I see from Smoke. But it does chafe some folks, and their view is justified.

Only a problem if it turns into 15 yards the wrong way at the wrong time. Otherwise...

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I want more players like that on our defense so badly I can barely stand it. They don't all have to be that way, but you have to have a few.

Yeah definitely agree...Just don't go too far with it and also don't be soft like players that I won't name. Confidence is key. 

Edited by WFE12

On 9/27/2017 at 9:03 AM, McLoofus said:

I heard a scout for the Dallas Cowboys tell Bill Burgess when he was head coach at JSU talking about defensive players, and I quote, "I guess you want them all to have done time, at least once."

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Is he an EE?

Yes but he still plans on making OVs to both AU & Clemson before he enrolls.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Not gonna lie, I was a little nervous when I saw this thread on top of the page.

You and me both.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bg5 said:

You and me both.

That makes three of us! If he's as good as advertised(and he seems to be), this would crush our recruiting class IMHO. He's just that important to next season and seasons to come.

2 minutes ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

That makes three of us! If he's as good as advertised(and he seems to be), this would crush our recruiting class IMHO. He's just that important to next season and seasons to come.

Bunch of nancies. There has been no talk of Q actually making the Clemson OV we had been concerned with.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ15G8UpayTAN7DbrK2wMV

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Bunch of nancies. There has been no talk of Q actually making the Clemson OV we had been concerned with.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ15G8UpayTAN7DbrK2wMV

:rollin:I've read an article or two recently saying he'd visit both schools...BUT I trust you O great one:bow:

4 minutes ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

:rollin:I've read an article or two recently saying he'd visit both schools.

Yes but those visits would have already happened. Also those articles are now a couple weeks old at least. He is signing Wednesday & the dead period starts Monday. Unless he changes his mind to sign in February he can't visit Clemson.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 3