2018 4* S Smoke Monday (AU 7/11/17)

ellitor

8 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Atm we have a very good shot at getting 2 top 25 players and a dark horse for a 3rd.

Who is the darkhorse recruit? Trey Hill?

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Who is the darkhorse recruit? Trey Hill?

Peterson?

wait..we lost Alec Jackson from Montgomery?  

Edited by Beaker

8 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Peterson?

wait..we lost Alec Jackson from Montgomery?  

I think he meant Antuan Jackson who just transferred out. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Peterson?

Not in the top 25 on any site & in the top 50 on only 1 site.

17 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Ditto that. Our secondary recruiting sucks in recent years.

As I've said before, Monday and Teague were my top "wants" after seeing film on some of the guys mentioned early in the recruiting process. Now, it looks like we'll get neither after looking strong for both at one point. I blame myself ?

• Like 1

One day I hope to hear the story of how we let Smoke get away.  I swear we get players interested in Auburn and then it is like they are gone the next day or not visiting Big Cat or something.  If Smoke had testing on Saturday during Big Cat someone should have done everything possible to get this kid on campus after the test for Saturday night.  That is when Smoke was high on us and that is when Smoke started looking at others schools after that.

• Like 1

Yes.  Changing his mind for the good guys would be a great story for sure.

One thing is for sure.  We have had staffs that were great recruiters and we have had staffs that were great coaches.  It's been a while since we had both at the same time.  The schools we lose recruits to have very well respected position coaches who are also great recruiters.  I have to imagine, and I don't know this to be true, that Greg Brown does not have the kids dying to get to know him outside of football.  He just does not exude coolness or swagger.  If you are going to be this type of personality then you better be a guy that everyone fears and respects in order to get the kids.

Another thing that has absolutely killed us over the years is the inability to strike when the iron is hot.  For the most part our success on the football field did not translate to success in recruiting.  I don't know why.  I had grand illusions of killer classes lined up for Auburn in 2011 and so forth after the MNC.  Did not happen.  Clemson on the other hand has parlayed their success into a recruiting machine and it is not slowing down.

51 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

One day I hope to hear the story of how we let Smoke get away.  I swear we get players interested in Auburn and then it is like they are gone the next day or not visiting Big Cat or something.  If Smoke had testing on Saturday during Big Cat someone should have done everything possible to get this kid on campus after the test for Saturday night.  That is when Smoke was high on us and that is when Smoke started looking at others schools after that.

Smoke always made it crystal clear that Clemson would be a major threat if they offered. On BCW he had a 7 on 7 tournament to play in that day. There wasn't supposed to be a tournament that day but rain pushed it back a week to that day. He plays on Cam Newton' team.

Thats right.  I thought it was testing but it was the tourney.  That to me was the turning point where we lost him. We somehow need to get this kid back on campus and show him our depth at the safety position after this year and also show him how well Steele has done with our defense.  Steele has quietly improved our D and kids need to know about it.  It's like ugag now proclaiming to be RB U.  If you don't show these kids otherwise then they just believe it.  Ugag has had some good backs since 1980 but I would stack ours up with them any day.  

23 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Another thing that has absolutely killed us over the years is the inability to strike when the iron is hot.  For the most part our success on the football field did not translate to success in recruiting.  I don't know why.  I had grand illusions of killer classes lined up for Auburn in 2011 and so forth after the MNC.  Did not happen.  Clemson on the other hand has parlayed their success into a recruiting machine and it is not slowing down.

As was posted on the previous page, for the most part the natty game next year class bump is a myth. Relationships are already made by then & relationships are what win recruiting battles. Getting to or winning the natty opens the door for high level 9th & 10th graders.They don't win battles for the current SRs. The real bump, if the team stays consistent, comes 4 classes after the natty or natty game appearance. 2014 would have been our bump class but the 2012 season & coach turnover nullified that. Clemson's bump from their 2015 appearance would have been in the 2019 class normally. Their back to back appearances & winning the 2nd time has expedited that significantly.

Edited by ellitor

15 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Thats right.  I thought it was testing but it was the tourney.  That to me was the turning point where we lost him. We somehow need to get this kid back on campus and show him our depth at the safety position after this year and also show him how well Steele has done with our defense.  Steele has quietly improved our D and kids need to know about it.  It's like ugag now proclaiming to be RB U.  If you don't show these kids otherwise then they just believe it.  Ugag has had some good backs since 1980 but I would stack ours up with them any day.  

Just like it is for many other kids we gotta win this year to establish some stability.

• Like 1

He has been my #1 recruit since day 1.  No matter what, if we lose out on him its gonna suck.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He has been my #1 recruit since day 1.  No matter what, if we lose out on him its gonna suck.  

No doubt. Special player.

15 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

How can everyone's #1 recruit not be Justin Fields (despite Monday's elite talent at that particular position)?

I didn't say he was my #1 but Bird did because he coaches DBs & knows how important they are, especially after the season is over we will have lost 4 safeties in Character, Ruffin, Roberts, & Trigga. Very thin back there.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I didn't say he was my #1 but Bird did because he coaches DBs & knows how important they are, especially after the season is over we will have lost 4 safeties in Character, Ruffin, Roberts, & Trigga. Very think back there.

That's undeniable.

14 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

How can everyone's #1 recruit not be Justin Fields (despite Monday's elite talent at that particular position)?

To me, if we miss on Fields we will be okay with Willis and Nix. There is no room to miss at Safety. IMO, Monday is they type of game changer on the back end that we havent had in decades.

• Like 6

Decades plural? Legitimate question, you didn't view Rosegreen as a game changer at Safety during his All-American season? He floated between positions, but he fit the bill in my view. Was I just splitting hairs on your choice of words (since Junior was 13 years ago) or was that an intentional omission?

Personally and only my opinion Rosegreen was not an elite safety.  Nothing against him as he was a good player but we have not had a feared player back there that was what I would call elite in a very long time.

• Like 1