EXCLUSIVE: House Dem IT Guys In Security Probe Secretly Took $100K In Iraqi Money

AURaptor

Rogue congressional staffers took $100,000 from an Iraqi politician while they had administrator-level access to the House of Representatives’ computer network, according to court documents examined by The Daily Caller News Foundation’s Investigative Group.

The money was a loan from Dr. Ali al-Attar, an Iraqi political figure, and was funneled through a company with “impossible”-to-decipher financial transactions that the congressional information technology (IT) staffers controlled.

Imran Awan, ringleader of the group that includes his brothers Abid and Jamal, has provided IT services since 2005 for Florida Democrat Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the former Democratic National Committee (DNC) chairwoman. The brothers are from Pakistan.

The trio also worked for dozens of other House Democrats, including members of the intelligence, foreign affairs and homeland security committees. Those positions likely gave them access to congressional emails and other sensitive documents.

Soon after Imran began working for members of Congress, Imran’s and Abid’s wives — Hina Alvi and Natalia Sova — also began receiving congressional paychecks, TheDCNF found. Imran’s employers included two members of the intelligence committee, Indiana Democrat Rep. Andre Carson and California Democrat Rep. Jackie Speier.

By 2009, the family was simultaneously managing a full-time car dealership in Virginia, with Abid running day-to-day operations after contributing $250,000 in startup cash. It was called Cars International A, LLC, referred to as “CIA” in court documents.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/20/exclusive-house-dem-it-guys-in-security-probe-secretly-took-100k-in-iraqi-money/#ixzz4ZMMXurQo

• 3 weeks later...

... oh, there's more. 

Imran Awan — the lead suspect in a criminal probe into breaches of House of Representatives information security systems — possessed the password to an iPad used by then-Democratic National Committee Chairperson Debbie Wasserman Schultz when DNC emails were given to WikiLeaks, The Daily Caller News Foundation Investigative Group has learned.

Wasserman Schultz resigned the DNC post in the wake of WikiLeaks posting damaging internal emails, blaming the scandal on hacking by Russians.

* Imran and his family members, all of whom worked as IT professionals for members of Congress, were banned from the House network Feb. 2, 2017, by the House Sergeant at Arms, but Wasserman Schultz has declined to fire him and circumvented the ban by having him “advise” her office.

WikiLeaks emails show that although Imran was employed by her taxpayer-funded House office, the Florida Democrat’s world — and iPad — mixed DNC, House and campaign business, and that Imran was on call for, and on a first-name basis with, top DNC staff.

Garret Bonosky, deputy director of the DNC, wrote in a May 4, 2016 email: “Amy — I will call you shortly. I have to get this ipad thing figured out. Need to make sure I have her username and password.”

DNC Assistant to the Chair Amy Kroll responded: “I do not have access to her ipad password, but Imran does.”

Bonosky replied: “Just gave AK the cell phone for Imran.”

Kroll responded: “Just spoke to Imran, call me whenever GB and I’ll update you.”

WikiLeaks began publishing July 26, 2016, “44,053 emails and 17,761 attachments from the top of the U.S. Democratic National Committee … The leaks come from the accounts of seven key figures in the DNC.”

Past interim DNC Chair Donna Brazile initially claimed after the emails became public that they were fabricated, then switched explanations and said the Russians stole them.

The FBI requested access to the DNC’s server to find out who was responsible, but the DNC refused, FBI Director James Comey said, according to The Hill.

Politico reported that New York Rep. Gregory “Meeks and, to a larger extent, Wasserman Schultz, are said to have a friendly personal relationship with Awan and his wife, according to multiple sources.”

House authorities set their sights on the Awans while investigating the existence of a secret server that was funneling congressional data off-site.

They also suspect Imran of stealing money and equipment. Soon after he joined Wasserman Schultz’s congressional payroll in 2005, four of his relatives and one of his friends began getting paid by House members. It is not clear whether ghost employees are part of the theft being investigated, but the family collected a combined $5 million.

Over the last six years, the individuals in question worked for some 80 members of Congress, all Democrats, including members of the homeland security, foreign affairs and intelligence committees. They worked for multiple members at once, since the offices did not require full-time IT services.

Wasserman Schultz spokesman David Damron did not respond to questions about whether the stolen emails might have come from Imran. Damron also declined to respond when asked if Wasserman Schultz has stronger evidence the theft was committed by a Russian.

Computer security experts say the most common threat comes from someone abusing a position of trust, trusting the wrong person or a perpetrator manipulating someone using “social engineering” to gain access; all such explanations defy the prevalent stereotype of distant strangers using high-tech tricks.

Politico reported “Meeks said he was hesitant to believe the accusations against Alvi, Imran Awan and the three other staffers, saying their background as Muslim Americans, some with ties to Pakistan, could make them easy targets for false charges,” Politico reported, adding that, he did not see a “smoking gun.”

Earlier this year, the brothers were accused of using high-tech listening devices against their own stepmom as part of a scheme to ensure that she didn’t stop them from accessing money stashed in Pakistan under their father’s name. A relative said they threatened to have the woman’s loved ones in Pakistan kidnapped if she didn’t give them power of attorney to access assets stored in their dying father’s name.

Their stepmother called the Fairfax County, Virginia police shortly before the Capitol Police disclosed the individuals as targets of the investigation.

In a May 12, 2016, email that went out to Bonosky and other top DNC staff, Wasserman Schultz staffer Rosalyn Kumar wrote: “Pelosi is doing s closed door meeting. No staff or anyone allowed. Kaitlyn come to Rayburn room and get her iPad for Imran.”

As the IT employees who set up user accounts, they had superuser privileges and could read any emails and files saved on the computers of House members’ offices.

While they were supposed to be working for the House, they were also running a limited liability corporation called “CIA,” apparently a car dealership, that racked up massive debts and fraud accusations.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/09/suspect-in-house-it-security-probe-also-had-access-to-dnc-emails/#ixzz4axjar600

* How is this not treason ? Or at the very least, criminally actionable ?  

If true, this is some serious stuff.  But the Daily Caller isn't exactly the most trustworthy or unbiased source.  It's like reading Addicting Info on the left.  Almost as bad as InfoWars.  I'm not saying it isn't true, but I'd like to see if somewhere outside of the Daily Caller, Gateway Pundit level of journalism.

7 hours ago, AURaptor said:

* Imran and his family members, all of whom worked as IT professionals for members of Congress, were banned from the House network Feb. 2, 2017, by the House Sergeant at Arms, but Wasserman Schultz has declined to fire him and circumvented the ban by having him “advise” her office.

Would the same facts reported by CNN or the nyt make it any more of an issue? 

10 hours ago, AURaptor said:

Would the same facts reported by CNN or the nyt make it any more of an issue? 

It would certainly make it easier to accept as accurate.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

It would certainly make it easier to accept as accurate.

And there in lies the problem. You're conditioned to believe what comes from those sources, regardless of how ridiculous it is, and ignore everything else. 

So, what exactly are you suspicious of as being true ? 

This ??

POSTED AT 5:01 PM ON MARCH 1, 2017 BY JOHN SEXTON

Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-N.Y.) confirmed to Politico that Hina Alvi’s last day as an IT support staffer in his office was Tuesday. Her husband, Imran Awan, was working for Rep. Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio) as of Tuesday evening, but a spokeswoman for Fudge said midday Wednesday that Awan was no longer an employee.

As of Wednesday, Awan was still working as a technology adviser for Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), although he’s been blocked from accessing the House computer system since early February.

Alvi, Awan and three other House aides, including Abid Awan and Jamal Awan, relatives of Imran Awan, and Rao Abbas, are all linked to the criminal investigation being conducted by the U.S. Capitol Police.

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/03/01/house-democrats-fire-it-staffers-under-investigation-by-capitol-hill-police/

Holding CNN or the NYT in higher regard than The Daily Caller hardly needs defending.

Reasonable people would agree.  Delusional people are, well, delusional.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Holding CNN or the NYT in higher regard than The Daily Caller hardly needs defending.

Reasonable people would agree.  Delusional people are, well, delusional.

This has zero to do with holding anyone to a higher regard . It is simply showing that the news is being reported across different outlets. Either you cannot or will not try to debunk the story. Pick one 

5 hours ago, AURaptor said:

This has zero to do with holding anyone to a higher regard . It is simply showing that the news is being reported across different outlets. Either you cannot or will not try to debunk the story. Pick one 

Actually, that's helpful.  HotAir is quoting Politico, which is closer to the middle but leans left for sure.  I would have questioned a story only reported on OccupyDemocrats and other far left sites as well.  I just tend to be skeptical of "shocking" stories that no mainstream outlet is reporting and only one extreme side of the news spectrum is.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I just tend to be skeptical of "shocking" stories that no mainstream outlet is reporting and only one extreme side of the news spectrum is.

Well, " mainstream " news organizations were actively trying to bury the Monica Lewinsky blue dress story, until Drudge broke it wide open, as I recall. And one of those tabloid rags went w/ the John Edwards cheating story too... 

There's a reason why D.C. and the MSM elites are so inbred. Don't be so naive to think that certain stories aren't tabled, or told in a certain manner, to make some look better ( or worse ) , as some would want us to see it a certain way. 

7 hours ago, AURaptor said:

Well, " mainstream " news organizations were actively trying to bury the Monica Lewinsky blue dress story, until Drudge broke it wide open, as I recall. And one of those tabloid rags went w/ the John Edwards cheating story too... 

There's a reason why D.C. and the MSM elites are so inbred. Don't be so naive to think that certain stories aren't tabled, or told in a certain manner, to make some look better ( or worse ) , as some would want us to see it a certain way. 

And for every one of those stories where no one but some right or left wing partisan rag was saying it, there are a dozen they report that never come to anything because they are bogus.  They will literally print any outlandish accusation as long as it's about the other guys. 

I get that mainstream newsrooms suppress stories sometimes.  But publications like Daily Caller, Alternet, Addicting Info, InfoWars, etc. have not earned the benefit of the doubt to be taken as a sole or primary source.  So I'm skeptical unless I start seeing it other places, either mainstream or from the other side of the spectrum as well.

16 hours ago, AURaptor said:

Is it OK if I just wait and see who else starts reporting it?

And neither you nor I can prove or debunk it.  

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Is it OK if I just wait and see who else starts reporting it?

And neither you nor I can prove or debunk it.  

They were released from their jobs a Dem IT guys, and ARE under investigation by the capitol police. 

That's not been misreported. 

And it should be noted, that WHILE these brothers have lost their jobs w/ the Democrats in Congress, they are still " advisers " to Debbie Wasserman Shultz.  The woman who was forced to step down as Chair of the DNC, and still went to work for Hillary Clinton, on her national campaign for President. 

Make of that what you will. 

Update : 3 brothers sound like quality folk, good people.  :-\

Plot thickens in probe of House IT contractors

A criminal investigation into IT contractors employed by dozens of House Democrats is sparking broader concerns about continuing access to sensitive government emails, amid new allegations of illicit activity beyond Capitol Hill.

The investigation was announced last month by the U.S. Capitol Police and purportedly focuses on the contractors' access to House computers and whether they took hardware and made questionable IT-related purchases.

A police spokesman, while declining to go into detail, told Fox News this week that the case remains opens and focuses on “the actions of House IT support staff.” 

But a high-level House staffer acknowledged Monday to Fox News that the probe has raised concerns about emails being hacked. 

Official documents and multiple sources say at least five contractors -- including brothers Imran, Jamal and Abid Awan -- are the focus of the probe but that as many as six people could be involved.

The others purportedly involved are Imran’s wife, Hina Alvi, and Rao Abbas, who is not part of the family.

They allegedly removed hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment from offices, including computers and servers, and ran a procurement scheme in which they bought equipment, then overcharged the House administrative office that assigns such contractors to members.

Sources also say the contractors, including one who worked for Florida Democratic Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, had “unauthorized access” to the House computer system.

The connection to the former Democratic National Committee boss has sparked questions about whether the contractors could have ties to the DNC hack last summer, which was seen to hurt Hillary Clinton’s ultimately failed White House bid -- or whether Russia or other outside operatives accessed emails that the contractors allegedly put on a cloud server.

There have been no reports or evidence so far showing the contractors were involved in a hacking incident.

House Democrats have stood by the contractors, privately and publicly suggesting their Muslim and Pakistani heritage prompted the probe and is contributing to fear-mongering.

Wasserman Schultz as of Friday was still employing Imran Awan, 36, as an adviser, despite his access to the chamber’s computer system having been revoked.  

Rep. Gregory Meeks, D-N.Y., kept Alvi, 33, employed until about two weeks ago.

“I have seen no evidence that they were doing anything that was nefarious,” he told Politico. “I wanted to be sure individuals are not being singled out because of their nationalities or their religion.” 

But other troubling allegations have surfaced. 

Police in January were called to the northern Virginia home of a woman identified in the incident report as the stepmother of the Awan brothers, as first reported by The Daily Caller News Foundation.

The woman alleged the brothers were keeping her away from her dying husband.

Abid Awan told police her bedside visits were causing their father additional stress and that he had full power of attorney over him, then produced “an unsigned, undated document as proof.”

A family member told a foundation reporter that the stepsons had kept the women in a “sort of illegal captivity” from October 2016 apparently until their father’s death in early February in a plot to get his life-insurance money. And they threatened her in an effort to get money that their father had stashed in Pakistan, the family member said.

The Daily Caller story said the stepmother has filed a separate police complaint alleging insurance fraud. 

According to LegiStorm.com, which tracks congressional pay, the contractors’ Capitol Hill work started in 2004 with at least two making six-figure salaries, including Abid Awan last year earning $166,944. 

But Awan also had money troubles, contributing to concerns about the contractors' access to sensitive emails and how that could be used. Awan declared bankruptcy in 2012 with more than $1.1 million in debt. 

Court documents show the debt included roughly $51,150 to the Congressional Credit Union, for two cars and a credit line. And Virginia court records show he has had 19 violations since 2009, mostly traffic-related offenses. 

Database searches found no major criminal charges for any of the contractors allegedly under investigation. 

The contractors could not be reached for comment. 

Fox News' Chad Pergram contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/14/plot-thickens-in-probe-house-it-contractors.html

There's no doubt that real bad villains, not only these guys but also Russians, have compromised the systems and electronic services used by both Republicans and Democrats. For some reason (it's a mystery), the current administration and the rabid winger media are only interested in the issues pertaining to Democrats, and are turning a blind eye towards the Russians.

Personally, I'm all for castrating these guys, but I also want the U.S. government to catch, strangle, castrate and then behead ANYONE (including the Ruskies) who have infiltrated or conspired with or been involved with U.S. government officials *** in any way ***. That means Democrats and Republicans.

This is not a PARTY issue, it is not a conservative vs liberal issue -- this undermines the foundations of our country.

Oh, btw... totally unrelated, I'm sure, but a Secret Service agent had her lap top stolen. 

(CNN) A laptop with highly sensitive information was stolen from a Secret Service agent's car Thursday morning in Brooklyn and has not been found, according to two senior New York law enforcement officials.

The officials said the laptop, which was highly encrypted and contained floor plans and evacuation protocol for Trump Tower, cannot be traced or erased by officials remotely, leaving the information at risk of being discovered.

The agent described the incident as a compromise of national security, according to one of the officials.
    Also stolen were the agent's lapel assignment pins that gave her access to security details that protected Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, the pope and the United Nations General Assembly.

The laptop and pins were in a backpack that was taken from the car, which was parked in the agent's driveway.
    The backpack has since been found, but not the laptop.

Secret Service spokeswoman Cathy Milhoan confirmed that the laptop had been stolen and that an investigation is underway.

Archived