2018 3* RB Master Teague III (Ohio St)

ellitor

14 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't understand why we don't have our pick of top backs. We have what 8 or 9 years straight with a 1000 yard rusher? It just makes no sense to me... we haven't really been in the mix for any 5* RBs since the Dyer/Lattimore/Seastrunk season... 7 years ago... I don't get it...

NO. FIRST. ROUND. NFL. DRAFT. PICKS. Caddy and Ronnie were our last first round draft picks I do believe. That is what kids most care about. Even the Rbs we have had drafted in the second round since then in Kenny Irons (injuries) and Ben Tate did not do much in the league. It sucks but it is what it is. We have no high profile rb since then that we can point to in the NFL.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't understand why we don't have our pick of top backs. We have what 8 or 9 years straight with a 1000 yard rusher? It just makes no sense to me... we haven't really been in the mix for any 5* RBs since the Dyer/Lattimore/Seastrunk season... 7 years ago... I don't get it...

Popular myth yet unsupported by facts. Roc Thomas was a 5*. Jovon was too til right before NSD when ESPN essentially made him the overall #141 prospect. Obviously neither one panned out but that does not escape the fact both were considered elite prospects when we got them.

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Popular myth yet unsupported by facts. Roc Thomas was a 5* & so was Jovon out of juco. Obviously neither one panned out but that does not escape the fact both were considered elite prospects when we got them.

Well if you look at composite rankings for RBs going back to 2010 (the Dyer year) other than Dyer, Roc is the only top 10 composite RB we have signed. So I think basically people are thrown off that a school that has as much RB tradition as we do has only been able to sign 2 guys ranked in the Top 10 RBs in their class since 2010.

I didn't separate APB, etc. I just went by overall score when looking at RBs overall. However when you look at APB, Kam Martin is the only one during that span that we signed that was listed in the top 10 of APB. I didn't count Corey Grant since he was a later transfer and I didn't look at the JC ranks, I only based this on HS.

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Well if you look at composite rankings for RBs going back to 2010 (the Dyer year) other than Dyer, Roc is the only top 10 composite RB we have signed. So I think basically people are thrown off that a school that has as much RB tradition as we do have only been able to sign 2 guys ranked in the Top 10 RBs in their class since 2010.

If you count Jucos Jovon was a composite Top 10 RB. When you combine Jucos with the high school kids Jovon's rating of .9787 is #5 in the 2015 class. That's even with ESPN essentially ranking him the 141st player in the nation overall the week of NSD. Scratch that. Jovon would be #6. If Kerryon was rated as a RB instead of an athlete he would have been the #5 RB in that class with a rating of .9807. Lastly just because guys are in the top 10 by recruiting sites it doesn't mean they are that high on Coach Horton & Gus's board. We did miss on our #1 this year who is a top 10 rated guy in Lingard but him being from So. Fla nobody besides Miami was getting him anyway with Richt's resurgence down there.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

NO. FIRST. ROUND. NFL. DRAFT. PICKS. Caddy and Ronnie were our last first round draft picks I do believe. That is what kids most care about. Even the Rbs we have had drafted in the second round since then in Kenny Irons (injuries) and Ben Tate did not do much in the league. It sucks but it is what it is. We have no high profile rb since then that we can point to in the NFL.

I get what you are saying, but the truth is that RB have lost their value and frankly very few get drafted in the first round any more.  Look at RBs taken in first round over the last 5 years: 

2013: 0 taken in 1st
2014: 0
2015: 2
2016: 1
2017: 2

That's 5 RB taken in first round in last 5 years.  So while I agree AU has not had that many taken, it seems a bit odd for RBs to be thinking this with such an uphill battle.  This seems like a very unlikely reason for them to not pick a school in today's NFL market.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If you count Jucos Jovon was a composite Top 10 RB. When you combine Jucos with the high school kids Jovon's rating of .9787 is #5 in the 2015 class. That's even with ESPN essentially ranking him the 141st player in the nation overall the week of NSD. Scratch that. Jovon would be #6. If Kerryon was rated as a RB instead of an athlete he would have been the #5 RB in that class with a rating of .9807. Lastly just because guys are in the top 10 by recruiting sites it doesn't mean they are that high on Coach Horton & Gus's board. We did miss on our #1 this year who is a top 10 rated guy in Lingard but him being from So. Fla nobody besides Miami was getting him anyway with Richt's resurgence down there.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you E,  I agree totally on both the athlete and the position on the staff's board part. I'm just saying when people look at recruiting sites they see that we aren't signing top 10 "RBs" and for a school with our history that can be confusing.

Just now, lkeel75 said:

I get what you are saying, but the truth is that RB have lost their value and frankly very few get drafted in the first round any more.  Look at RBs taken in first round over the last 5 years: 

2013: 0 taken in 1st
2014: 0
2015: 2
2016: 1
2017: 2

That's 5 RB taken in first round in last 5 years.  So while I agree AU has not had that many taken, it seems a bit odd for RBs to be thinking this with such an uphill battle.  This seems like a very unlikely reason for them to not pick a school in today's NFL market.

Rbs value are on the come up now. Trent killed it and Zeke and Gurley revived it! Copycat league.

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you E,  I agree totally on both the athlete and the position board part. I'm just saying when people look at recruiting sites they see that we aren't signing top 10 "RBs" and for a school with our history that can be confusing.

For me I honestly don't care what they are rated as long as they produce at a high level which our seasonal #1 RBs have done in that time frame. Heck I think we can all agree that Bubba "Diesel" Pettway was laughably underrated by the sites.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Rbs value are on the come up now. Trent killed it and Zeke and Gurley revived it! Copycat league.

I agree it is a copycat league, but too many offenses are seeing the benefit of the tiky-tac fowls being called every time they throw the ball.  At this point a DB makes a play and looks at the ref to see if he is getting a flag.

Also, now that the new salary structure is in place, most teams do not want to spend 1st round money on a player who likely want be in the league by the end of their contract.  (contracts = 4 years & average RB is in league around 3 years now).  Add on top of that there are almost no teams who rely on 1 RB any more.  Almost every team is RB by committee so why spend the money.  I do agree that 2013\14 were probably more anomaly rather than trend, but still only 1-2 taken is pretty limited for a RB.

Either way, I do hope we can get some of these top notch RB in the future.

WDE! 

System back vs. elite talent. We all say it, "you could plug anyone into this scheme and be successful". Not to discredit the hard work of all our backs, but the system itself creates these stats. That's the reason they are so successful in college and are unknown in the pros. Now, the argument could be made that if that's what average backs can do then an elite back would do even better. Maybe so. Unfortunately, as E pointed out, our last (2) studs (Robinson and Roc) were duds.

15 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

System back vs. elite talent. We all say it, "you could plug anyone into this scheme and be successful". Not to discredit the hard work of all our backs, but the system itself creates these stats. That's the reason they are so successful in college and are unknown in the pros. Now, the argument could be made that if that's what average backs can do then an elite back would do even better. Maybe so. Unfortunately, as E pointed out, our last (2) studs (Robinson and Roc) were duds.

The sad thing is Robinson wasn't a dud as a player, just as a person. He could have been special.  Roc, on the other hand, was just too fragile for the SEC.

I would be willing to bet if we signed an elite running back into our system, they would very quickly be on the Heisman short list and records would be broken.

I think Teague and Damian Pierce are genuine RBs who could be very special.    The Worm can get a ton of yards, but I bet he will be used in a variety of ways.  Very different skill sets.  

Teague and Pierce...

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The sad thing is Robinson wasn't a dud as a player, just as a person. He could have been special.  Roc, on the other hand, was just too fragile for the SEC.

I would be willing to bet if we signed an elite running back into our system, they would very quickly be on the Heisman short list and records would be broken.

Just now, Beaker said:

I think Teague and Damian Pierce are genuine RBs who could be very special.    The Worm can get a ton of yards, but I bet he will be used in a variety of ways.  Very different skill sets.  

Teague and Pierce...

I like Teague, but from what I've read/seen, Pierce seems to be the elite of the two. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Devan Barrett might be the guy that we're all thinking of in this conversation in terms of an elite, complete RB. 

Again I'm not the best football expect but the guys I know who are think Barrett is a elite back. 

I'll obviously reserve judgment/pressure on Barrett, but I've heard the same opinions on him. No question he has the combination of size and speed to be special, and he appears to have a complete skill set with good hands out of the backfield and a willingness to block. I don't expect him to redshirt. We're in go-for-it mode so if he can help the team, I expect him to play. Looking forward to seeing him.

As for the three RBs we're really recruiting, Teague is actually the guy at the top of my list. I know his ratings aren't equal to Martin, Pierce, or even Joiner, but he looks like the real deal to me. I love how he keeps his shoulders square to the line and shows great feet in traffic. That style allows him to get north/south quickly even on stretch plays or on cuts. With those shoulders, he's going to get bigger without losing speed. I'm hoping he's the one (or one of the ones) we land in this class.

• 2 weeks later...

A Rush of crystal balls recently to Urbs and the buckeyes. The guy is a machine. 

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

A Rush of crystal balls recently to Urbs and the buckeyes. The guy is a machine. 

KN just posted a free article on Twitter discussing this. Apparently, the video was made before he received an offer from Ohio State. I still think somehow it is Ohio State, but thought that was really interesting. 

17 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

KN just posted a free article on Twitter discussing this. Apparently, the video was made before he received an offer from Ohio State. I still think somehow it is Ohio State, but thought that was really interesting. 

I honestly think him saying when the video was made is a swerve. Very much hope I am wrong. Kid is a stud. 

This hurts. Was really hoping to get this guy. Hope Martin or Pierce end up at AU (Teague my favorite watching the film).

32 minutes ago, fredst said:

This hurts. Was really hoping to get this guy. Hope Martin or Pierce end up at AU (Teague my favorite watching the film).

I'm guessing but OSU is the school he has been waiting on a offer from. He got the offer. 

On 6/1/2017 at 3:42 PM, ellitor said:

For me I honestly don't care what they are rated as long as they produce at a high level which our seasonal #1 RBs have done in that time frame. Heck I think we can all agree that Bubba "Diesel" Pettway was laughably underrated by the sites.

Heck, he was laughably underrated by our own staff. They only started playing him when they had no other choice and then he exploded on the scene. 

2 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Nobody mentioned CAP in the recent gets. He was the #1 JUCO and is #2 depth on an NFL roster. 

Was a composite 3* though.

Archived