top wide receiver

aubiefifty

Who will take early lead in spring as Auburn's top wide receiver?

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

We're taking a look at each position group as Auburn prepares to open spring practice on Feb. 28. The third of a nine-part series looks at the wide receivers.

Projected depth chart:
Kyle Davis, sophomore, 12 receptions for 248 yards and two touchdowns
Eli Stove, sophomore, 23 receptions for 224 yards and 11 carries for 131 yards and a touchdown
Ryan Davis, junior, 25 receptions for 194 yards and a touchdown and three carries for five yards
Darius Slayton, redshirt-sophomore, 15 receptions for 292 yards and a touchdown
Nate Craig-Myers, sophomore, four receptions for 70 yards and a touchdown
Jason Smith, senior, four receptions for 60 yards and one carry for no yards
Marquis McClain, redshirt-freshman, redshirted in 2016
Will Hastings, junior, 11 receptions for 98 yards and a touchdown
Logan Rice, junior, did not record a statistic in 2016

Departed: Tony Stevens, 31 receptions for 487 yards with three touchdowns; Marcus Davis, 17 receptions for 160 yards; Stanton Truitt, seven receptions for 100 yards and a touchdown with 31 carries for 187 yards and two scores

Due to arrive in the fall: Noah Igbinoghene, JaTarvious Whitlow

Outlook: Spring practice will be the first indication as to who will end up taking over as Auburn's top wide receiver.

A potential change at quarterback and the departure of three of the team's leading eight receivers from last season should lead to an increase in productivity in the passing game. It was the first time since 2008 that Auburn's leading receiver failed to have at least 600 yards.

There is no shortage of candidates to be the top target for whoever wins the quarterback competition.

Kyle Davis is the leading returning receiver in terms of yards per catch and touchdowns (two), while Darius Slayton had the most receiving yards among returning players, Eli Stove had the most all-purpose yards and Ryan Davis had the most receptions.

Each have unique skill sets and filled different roles last season and could see some alterations as new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey determines how to utilize Auburn's personnel.

Then there's Nate Craig-Myers, who had a quiet debut season, and Jason Smith, who did even less as a junior last season.

Craig-Myers should see an increase in production and opportunities in the fall but it will begin with a strong spring.

Smith needs to show he belongs in a deep but inexperienced receiving corps or he'll be in for another season with a limited role.

Marquis McClain will get his most expansive reps to date in the spring and could be the sleeper of the group to go from redshirted to a substantial role if he proves himself.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not that experienced and not a ton of stats under their belts, but I've seen more playmaking ability from this group than any returning group I can remember. When guys like NCM and Jason Smith are 5th and 6th on the list, things are going very well. We haven't even seen Marquis McClain yet, and Hastings is very dependable when called upon. Very exciting. 

I really hope we see more out of NCM this spring. I love his skill set. On the other hand, if he continues on trajectory, I think Kyle Davis has the potential to look like, and conceivably be 1st team All-SEC by the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

by the way @aubiefifty, great job on creating these threads. This board needs some good discussion. 

thanks man. i get tired of the same old stories as well. i do hate where i got these but they were the only articles i saw this morning. so thanx!

Jason Smith

Actually, I hope NCM breaks into the scene. He has so much talent, but apparently, injuries limited him big time last year.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Jason Smith

Actually, I hope NCM breaks into the scene. He has so much talent, but apparently, injuries limited him big time last year.

I must not have been aware of NCM's injuries last season. That makes me feel a little better about where he might actually be, injuries notwithstanding. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I must not have been aware of NCM's injuries last season. That makes me feel a little better about where he might actually be, injuries notwithstanding. 

Yeah, I need to find the article because I was kind of up in arms that NCM was getting such little PT.

Also, Marquis McClain. I want to see how he does during the A-day game.  As a freshman, he had one of the best frames out of all the WRs. 

I think we ARE loaded here. Kyle Allen, NCM, Slayton, and Stove not in that oerder are all very good. I still like Hastings in certain situations too. Ryan Davis ..... Hard to think of one that I don't feel good about. 

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think we ARE loaded here. Kyle Allen, NCM, Slayton, and Stove not in that oerder are all very good. I still like Hastings in certain situations too. Ryan Davis ..... Hard to think of one that I don't feel good about. 

There's the man, right there. He's not a highlight reel waiting to happen like some of the others, but through a lot of last year, he was Mr. Reliable. I love a work horse receiver like him. Reminds me of Darvin Adams, who you knew was going to catch it if you threw it to him.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

There's the man, right there. He's not a highlight reel waiting to happen like some of the others, but through a lot of last year, he was Mr. Reliable. I love a work horse receiver like him. Reminds me of Darvin Adams, who you knew was going to catch it if you threw it to him.

I will say he had the best catch of any WR last year during the Arkansas State game.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I will say he had the best catch of any WR last year during the Arkansas State game.

you are mistaking him for Kyle Allen. >:D

6 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

That was Kyle Davis.

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

you are mistaking him for Kyle Allen. >:D

After Kyle Allen, Kyle Davis had the 2nd best catch. Third would be Kerryon Johnson's, except it was incorrectly ruled incomplete. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

After Kyle Allen, Kyle Davis had the 2nd best catch. Third would be Kerryon Johnson's, except it was incorrectly ruled incomplete. 

Am I missing some sort of inside joke here? Who is this Kyle Allen that two of you have now referenced?

7 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

Am I missing some sort of inside joke here? Who is this Kyle Allen that two of you have now referenced?

Kyle Allen is a blue chip QB who initially signed with TAMU and then ended up transferring to Houston. Folks have accidentally assigned his last name to Kyle Davis a couple times. @alexava did it earlier in this thread, although I'm not sure whether by accident or as a joke. He referenced it a second time, definitely as a joke. 

Edit: Doh, forgot about the Musberger debacle mentioned below...

5 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

Musberger kept calling KD Kyle Allen during the Arkansas state game, I believe, he did it numerous times 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Third would be Kerryon Johnson's, except it was incorrectly ruled incomplete. 

And could have changed the course of our entire season...

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Musberger kept calling KD Kyle Allen during the Arkansas state game, I believe, he did it numerous times 

Ok. I thought I'd lost my mind. Thanks for the clarification!

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Kyle Allen is a blue chip QB who initially signed with TAMU and then ended up transferring to Houston. Folks have accidentally assigned his last name to Kyle Davis a couple times. @alexava did it earlier in this thread, although I'm not sure whether by accident or as a joke. He referenced it a second time, definitely as a joke. 

Edit: Doh, forgot about the Musberger debacle mentioned below...

no accident. i officially changed his name in honor of musberger.

Archived