top wide receiver

aubiefifty

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

thanks man. i get tired of the same old stories as well. i do hate where i got these but they were the only articles i saw this morning. so thanx!

Oops

Oh Dear

WDE MisterFiftySir

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna predict NCM to be our #1 WR next year. He has a very high ceiling, coaches have raved about him, and he has a good bit of versatility. 

Slayton and K Davis are "safer" pics IMHO. They actually showed some of their potential on the field last year.

It really depends on who Stidham develops a connection with, and who he has confidence in. So it's really kind of a crap shoot right now. 

11 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

It really depends on who Stidham develops a connection with, and who he has confidence in. 

Good point. Seems like KD and NCM are almost a wash physically, and Slayton's not far behind. Ryan Davis and Eli Stove are both dependable, fast and smooth... should be fun to see it develop. 

Stidham to Slayton will be the early season connection to look for. I think Slayton's experience and hands will make Stidham very comfortable. 

KD & NCM will come on midseason.

3 hours ago, rtftiger said:

Stidham to Slayton will be the early season connection to look for. I think Slayton's experience and hands will make Stidham very comfortable. 

KD & NCM will come on midseason.

Not to nitpick, but Slayton redshirted in 2015 and only had 3 more catches than KD last year. And now both are hitting the reset button with a new QB and OC. I would agree with you in saying that both got a little more experience than NCM because of his injury, but Slayton isn't exactly the grizzled veteran of the three.

I'd love nothing more than for you to be right, though, as long as JS is establishing a rapport with *somebody*.

All I want and ask for is our BEST Wrs to play and not to have the walk on in during a crucial down in the iron bowl....... This is honestly 1 of my biggest if not the biggest grip of gus is his WR rotations.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

All I want and ask for is our BEST Wrs to play and not to have the walk on in during a crucial down in the iron bowl....... This is honestly 1 of my biggest if not the biggest grip of gus is his WR rotations.

Walk on doesn't necessarily mean he isn't one of the best and he might not be, but If he can get open consistently and catch what's thrown to him, then by all means play him. I'm tired of the critical drops more than anything. 

Kyle Davis is a pure stud and he catches anything thrown in his direction, unlike some of the "stone fingers" we have seen the last few years.  I have no doubt he will be our top guy.  Slayton also looks great.  Jury still out on NCM, though the potential is obvious.  We just need to get them the dang ball!

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Walk on doesn't necessarily mean he isn't one of the best and he might not be, but If he can get open consistently and catch what's thrown to him, then by all means play him. I'm tired of the critical drops more than anything. 

I love the quickness of Hastings. If he can catch it consistently he could be very useful. I am curious about him as a punt returner. I just never hear any rumors about trying him there. 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

yah that does not describe hastings either so I stand by what I said. NO MORE WILL HASTINGS!!!! NCM, KD, Stove and Slayton or we riot bird!!!!

I think McClain will have a big break out season. We is built like Megatron.. I will be looking forward to seeing this aerial attack.. 

22 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

yah that does not describe hastings either so I stand by what I said. NO MORE WILL HASTINGS!!!! NCM, KD, Stove and Slayton or we riot bird!!!!

Just because I don't get the Hastings hate, I'm going to put this out there...

Kyle Davis: 12 catches for 22 targets and 2 touchdowns
Will Hastings: 11 catches for 17 targets and 1 touchdown

Hastings was also 3 for 4 in the Clemson game, all of which got us first downs, including the miss, because it was pass interference. 

Against the right team, he and Ryan Davis can eat up a defense. (incidentally, Ryan Davis and Stove are the only two receivers on the team with a higher catch rate than Hastings)

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Just because I don't get the Hastings hate, I'm going to put this out there...

Kyle Davis: 12 catches for 22 targets and 2 touchdowns
Will Hastings: 11 catches for 17 targets and 1 touchdown

Hastings was also 3 for 4 in the Clemson game, all of which got us first downs, including the miss, because it was pass interference. 

Against the right team, he and Ryan Davis can eat up a defense. (incidentally, Ryan Davis and Stove are the only two receivers on the team with a higher catch rate than Hastings)

those stats are exactly the problem with what me and others are talking about in not getting our best players particularly WRs on the field enough. in what world should hastings be on the field enough to have those kind of numbers and KD on the field so little? At one point in the season it seemed like he was only in on 3rd and obvious passing situations. just because hes a short white dude with some quicks does not automatically mean he is the second coming of cole beasley, wes welker or insert any other short white wr with some quiks. Some walk on backup punters are just that. There is some good success stories but more times than not they are a walk on for a reason. Rodgeriqus Smith he is not. Those little numbers for KD is also another big problem which is we do not keep the defenses honest enough and run the ball as much as the service academies almost.

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

those stats are exactly the problem with what me and others are talking about in not getting our best players particularly WRs on the field enough. in what world should hastings be on the field enough to have those kind of numbers and KD on the field so little? At one point in the season it seemed like he was only in on 3rd and obvious passing situations. just because hes a short white dude with some quicks does not automatically mean he is the second coming of cole beasley, wes welker or insert any other short white wr with some quiks. Some walk on backup punters are just that. There is some good success stories but more times than not they are a walk on for a reason. Rodgeriqus Smith he is not. Those little numbers for KD is also another big problem which is we do not keep the defenses honest enough and run the ball as much as the service academies almost.

Maybe in a world where the "short white dude with some quicks" has good hands and is one of the top 3 most reliable receivers on the field? He was in on 3rd and passing situations, because he made the catches to get us the 1st down more often than not.

The little targeting numbers for Davis were because he was a freshman coming off of an injury and, on the depth chart, he was splitting time with Slayton.  Hastings was behind Smith, who obviously had other issues. NCM was hurt. Stove was behind R. Davis.

In any case, no matter how few targets Davis might have had, Hastings caught a higher percentage of his targets.

I don't get why you are hating on the kid when he came in and did his job.  If he was dropping the ball left and right, sure... hate on him, but he wasn't.  If he wasn't making plays, sure... hate on him, but he was. If he was taking playing time from someone who outperformed him, sure... hate on him, but he didn't.

If he gets playing time this year, it's going to be because he earned it, and if you are going to hate on him for it, then that's on you, not him. It really sounds like you are judging him because of who he is and not what he can and has done.

59 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Maybe in a world where the "short white dude with some quicks" has good hands and is one of the top 3 most reliable receivers on the field? He was in on 3rd and passing situations, because he made the catches to get us the 1st down more often than not.

The little targeting numbers for Davis were because he was a freshman coming off of an injury and, on the depth chart, he was splitting time with Slayton.  Hastings was behind Smith, who obviously had other issues. NCM was hurt. Stove was behind R. Davis.

In any case, no matter how few targets Davis might have had, Hastings caught a higher percentage of his targets.

I don't get why you are hating on the kid when he came in and did his job.  If he was dropping the ball left and right, sure... hate on him, but he wasn't.  If he wasn't making plays, sure... hate on him, but he was. If he was taking playing time from someone who outperformed him, sure... hate on him, but he didn't.

If he gets playing time this year, it's going to be because he earned it, and if you are going to hate on him for it, then that's on you, not him. It really sounds like you are judging him because of who he is and not what he can and has done.

he absolutely was dropping the ball late in the year in amen corner in the rivarly games when it was clear gus was back to controlling who subbed in and out. If Chip is really in charge of the offense I will go on record to say hastings will not be in the rotation. I just call it like I see it and I just do not think the kid is any good. Hastings is a gus pet project. 

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

he absolutely was dropping the ball late in the year in amen corner in the rivarly games 

Think that might have had something to do with he and Sean having timing because they played together before they got to Auburn?  Also, if he was so full of drops at the end of the season, then he must have been our most reliable receiver early on to end up in the top 3 for percentage of catches.

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I just call it like I see it and I just do not think the kid is any good.

Hate to see you be that guy, but if you must, you must.

Think that might have had something to do with he and Sean having timing because they played together before they got to Auburn?  Also, if he was so full of drops at the end of the season, then he must have been our most reliable receiver early on to end up in the top 3 for percentage of catches.

be what guy? If a player is not playing well and has no business being on the field more than they are then yah I am going to get frustrated and want that player to sit in favor of someone else. All I remember is he had a good arkansas state game where he got most of his production. I cannot wait for us to have a real passing game under chip. Gus had lost his way in the passing game and chip is what was much needed a guy who is well versed in the air raid. Combine that with the talent of Stidham and our young wrs and the passing game should be the best it has been in a long time under gus.

We all want whats best for Auburn!  No 1 player is above that. I save all my favorite player bias's and blatant favortisim for pro sports and ranking former Auburn all time greats. I just simply do not think hastings is that good nor has sec talent. Do not dislike the kid personally. I am sure he is a great dude and great Auburn man who represents AU very well.

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I just simply do not think hastings is that good nor has sec talent.

That just doesn't compute. Like, it literally makes no sense. He caught 3 balls against Clemson and 3 against TAMU while playing for an SEC team with a mediocre pass offense. In fact, if we'd beaten Clemson, the kid would've been instrumental in it. 

Did he yield to the most high profile WR corps to ever wear the O&B as the season went on? Of course. These guys are freaks. We've likely never had a pair like KD and NCM, and it's not out of the question that the next 3 are just as good (and possibly would be WR1 on several current SEC teams or most Auburn teams of the past). Jason Smith, for whatever shortcomings he's had above and/or below the neck at Auburn, was a #1 juco athlete coming in. McClain could be a sleeping giant. Every one of them is a legit SEC WR in the right offense (unless McClain severely underwhelms). Nobody's trying to say that Hastings has the future that the other guys do. 

But does that mean he's the garbage you're making him out to be? Absolutely not. He proved that he can play in the SEC, on an SEC team. It's really weird that you're disputing that. You even went into detail about how he was in a crap passing offense, yet he still managed to put up a stat line.

He's shown that he's athletic by putting up numbers in the same agility drills that all the other guys participated in. He's the same size as Ryan Davis. Maybe he dropped some balls- I don't remember much of that, but the last half of the season is a bad dream that I don't really care to remember and I'll just believe you- but other guys dropped balls, too. 

You're stargazing. That's fine, we all do it. But don't crap on the other kids in the process.  

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That just doesn't compute. Like, it literally makes no sense. He caught 3 balls against Clemson and 3 against TAMU while playing for an SEC team with a mediocre pass offense. In fact, if we'd beaten Clemson, the kid would've been instrumental in it. 

Did he yield to the most high profile WR corps to ever wear the O&B as the season went on? Of course. These guys are freaks. We've likely never had a pair like KD and NCM, and it's not out of the question that the next 3 are just as good (and possibly would be WR1 on several current SEC teams or most Auburn teams of the past). Jason Smith, for whatever shortcomings he's had above and/or below the neck at Auburn, was a #1 juco athlete coming in. McClain could be a sleeping giant. Every one of them is a legit SEC WR in the right offense (unless McClain severely underwhelms). Nobody's trying to say that Hastings has the future that the other guys do. 

But does that mean he's the garbage you're making him out to be? Absolutely not. He proved that he can play in the SEC, on an SEC team. It's really weird that you're disputing that. You even went into detail about how he was in a crap passing offense, yet he still managed to put up a stat line.

He's shown that he's athletic by putting up numbers in the same agility drills that all the other guys participated in. He's the same size as Ryan Davis. Maybe he dropped some balls- I don't remember much of that, but the last half of the season is a bad dream that I don't really care to remember and I'll just believe you- but other guys dropped balls, too. 

You're stargazing. That's fine, we all do it. But don't crap on the other kids in the process.  

giphy.gif

Archived