JaTarvious Whitlow

aubiefifty

Auburn signee JaTarvious Whitlow ready to 'be dangerous in space' at slot receiver

Josh Bean | jbean@al.com

Jatarvious Whitlow did just about everything short of selling popcorn on Friday nights last season at LaFayette.

The 6-foot, 200-pound quarterback ran for 2,147 yards and 30 touchdowns, threw for another 2,292 yards and 29 touchdowns, returned kicks, handled all kicking duties and played defense.

RELATED: Get complete coverage of Auburn football

Whitlow knows his football future will be at a new position - slot receiver - after signing with Auburn earlier this month, and that's just fine with him.

"I'd rather play receiver in college," he said Tuesday after LaFayette lost 53-50 to Lanett in the boys Class 2A Northeast Regional final, likely his final competitive basketball game. "I can be dangerous in space. I know I can."

Auburn's Class of 2017

Auburn's Class of 2017

The Tigers signed 23 players for Gus Malzahn's fifth straight top 10 recruiting class

Whitlow's high school statistics look a lot like former Alabama receiver ArDarius Stewart, another stat-stuffing small-school quarterback at Fultondale who made a smooth transition to college receiver and entered the 2017 NFL Draft.

Whitlow played running back and quarterback during his high school career and said he likes the idea of getting the ball on jet sweeps and bubble screens in new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey's offense at Auburn.

"I'm excited," Whitlow said. "I'm ready to go down there and put in work."

Whitlow plans to continue running track this spring, participating in the 200- and 400-meter sprints, long jump and triple jump. In Tuesday's final basketball season, he tallied 22 points, five rebounds, two assists, three steals and a blocked shot.

LaFayette basketball coach Obadiah Threadgill said he expects big things from Whitlow at Auburn.

"He is willing to go over and beyond the call of duty. ... He works every day," Threadgill said.

The Whitlow file

The Whitlow file

Whitlow, a three-star athlete from LaFayette, joined Auburn on National Signing Day as a wide receiver.

Looking ahead to Auburn's WRs in 2017

Looking ahead to Auburn's WRs in 2017

Spring practice will be the first indication as to who will end up taking over as Auburn's top wide receiver in 2017

Archived