enhance the backfield

aubiefifty

How does Auburn enhance its loaded backfield in the spring?

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

We're taking a look at each position group as Auburn prepares to open spring practice on Feb. 28. The second of a nine-part series looks at the running backs.

Projected depth chart:
Kamryn Pettway, redshirt-junior, 209 carries for 1,224 yards with seven touchdowns and two catches for 14 yards
Kerryon Johnson, junior, 182 carries for 895 yards with 11 touchdowns, 17 receptions for 125 yards and three passes for 11 yards and a score
Kam Martin, sophomore, 44 carries for 320 yards and three touchdowns and two catches for 52 yards
Malik Miller, redshirt-freshman, 16 carries for 69 yards and a touchdown before a season-ending left knee injury

Departed: N/A

Due to arrive in the fall:  Devan Barrett, Alaric Williams

Outlook: The strength of Auburn's offense in 2016 was its tandem of running backs and there's a chance that could remain the case in 2017 even with the addition of Jarrett Stidham.

Spring will be less about order on the depth chart and more about fine tuning in the backfield.

Kamryn Pettway emerged as not only Auburn's leading rusher and one of the better backs in the SEC, but among the most powerful runners in the country.

Where Pettway could expand his skills is in being a receiving option out of the backfield, a role he rarely performed last season, and in pass blocking, which all running backs can fine tune and he's better than most given his background as an H-back.

Auburn spring position preview: QB

Kerryon Johnson was not far behind Pettway in overall production and is the more dynamic all-around runner of the two. It will be interesting to see how new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey goes about utilizing Johnson, who saw time in the Wildcat as both a runner and passer, and on jet sweeps in addition to his traditional running back reps.

As far as spring practice is concerned, the development of Kam Martin and Malik Miller will be intriguing.

Martin has unique skills but lacks size. What his measurements are in the spring - if he adds to his listed 182 pounds - will be an early sign for how the Tigers envision going about using Martin in the fall.

Miller may be limited as he continues to recover from knee surgery.

I sure hope Miller is 100% by fall. I think he is that 4th quarter guy we need to keep some tread on Pettway's and Johnson's tires. 

Very comfortable with Pettway and Johnson maintaining their respective roles as rich-man's-Lendale-White and poor-man's-Reggie-Bush. And if Johnson is completely healthy this year, watch out. Best all around skill player on the team. 

No idea about Martin. Definitely dangerous in space and an underrated blocker, but I don't know if he *really* makes an impact as long as KJ is here and healthy. Not at all concerned about his size. Dude is tough.

Excited about both of the new guys, but hopefully at least one of them can redshirt. 

I was very worried about our RB depth going into last season, and it turned out that concern was justified. Until establishing a RB-2 who can step into the offense without a hiccup, I'll continue to be slightly wary. That being said, we have a lot more bodies to step into that role this season. And no, I still don't think KJ is that guy, despite how important I think he is to our team. I just don't like him in that role. 

I should qualify my statement about KJ by saying that our quarterback situation last season resulted in a running game that asked too much of KJ when KP got hurt. KP was already being asked to run the ball 30+ times a game. With balance in the passing game, I think KJ would have much more success at RB-1. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

And no, I still don't think KJ is that guy, despite how important I think he is to our team. I just don't like him in that role. 

That's it. Parking lot, 3:00 PM. We're going to settle this like men. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

That's it. Parking lot, 3:00 PM. We're going to settle this like men. 

Haha. I hate this discussion, because I think I always end up sounding like I'm bearish on Kerryon. I'm really not. I love Kerryon. I love what he brings, and the dude runs very, very hard. But, in situations where we are lining up to run the ball, and the defense knows it, I don't want him in the backfield. That's not him - that's Pettway all day long. Unfortunately, we asked that of KJ (and Kam) too much last season, and I'm hoping that we won't have to in the fall. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Haha. I hate this discussion, because I think I always end up sounding like I'm bearish on Kerryon. I'm really not. I love Kerryon. I love what he brings, and the dude runs very, very hard. But, in situations where we are lining up to run the ball, and the defense knows it, I don't want him in the backfield. That's not him - that's Pettway all day long. Unfortunately, we asked that of KJ (and Kam) too much last season, and I'm hoping that we won't have to in the fall. 

Nah, it's fair. KJ's no bulldozer. I think that he's very much a guy who can be given the ball even when the defense knows it- look at his success in the wildcat in goal line situations- but no, he's not going to beat the defense into submission. I don't care how bad the defenses might've been... it was glorious watching KP bludgeon those linebackers all those weeks. 

We definitely asked too much of both guys last season. They were dominating as a tandem when KJ was healthy and in the RB1 spot. Miller was looking great in spot duty. He goes down, KJ goes down, and suddenly KP is getting those 30+ carries a game you mentioned. Shockingly, he doesn't hold up under those conditions, and now a still-injured KJ is called back into duty. Ugh. 

Yes. Better QB situation, hopefully. Better game plan. Miller back. 2 freshmen with frames that should be able to hold up between the tackles. Martin. Hopefully a comparable OL, if not better. Optimism? Oh dear. 

Auburn did have one departure from the running back ranks, when Stanton Truitt transferred to North Carolina. He will be missed for his speed and pass catching ability. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They were dominating as a tandem when KJ was healthy and in the RB1 spot. Miller was looking great in spot duty. He goes down, KJ goes down, and suddenly KP is getting those 30+ carries a game you mentioned. Shockingly, he doesn't hold up under those conditions, and now a still-injured KJ is called back into duty. Ugh. 

I'll have to go back and look, but I don't remember this...

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'll have to go back and look, but I don't remember this...

KJ's game logs

KP's game logs

Absolutely mystifying... KP gets *no* carries against Clemson or La Monroe.

In games where they both got carries before MSU, KJ had 55 carries to KP's 52. Through the MSU game, KJ had 9 catches to KP's 2. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

KJ's game logs

KP's game logs

Absolutely mystifying... KP gets *no* carries against Clemson or La Monroe.

In games where they both got carries before MSU, KJ had 55 carries to KP's 52. Through the MSU game, KJ had 9 catches to KP's 2. 

I see it, but was KJ the true RB1? 

Clemson game though.... what the heck

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I see it, but was KJ the true RB1? 

Clemson game though.... what the heck

Well, he obviously was against Clemson and La Monroe, and he also was against ASU, against LSU and against MSU. KP started against TAMU

In the 3 games they both got carries in before KJ's injuries, KJ had more carries in two of them. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Well, he obviously was against Clemson and La Monroe, and he also was against ASU, against LSU and against MSU. KP started against TAMU

In the 3 games they both got carries in before KJ's injuries, KJ had more carries in two of them. 

I guess my point is more that it was never KJ that did the dominating, no matter who started - it was always KP, at least against teams that mattered. KJ had three 100 yard games last year: Arkansas State, Louisiana Monroe and Alabama A&M. If any of those performances had occurred against Clemson, LSU or TAMU for example, then I'd feel better about him as a true RB1 option. 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I guess my point is more that it was never KJ that did the dominating, no matter who started - it was always KP, at least against teams that mattered. KJ had three 100 yard games last year: Arkansas State, Louisiana Monroe and Alabama A&M. If any of those performances had occurred against Clemson, LSU or TAMU for example, then I'd feel better about him as a true RB1 option. 

KJ is a great athlete and I think he would be better-served motion out into the slot and receiving the ball in space most times. I find that he doesn't run through the right hole at times, although he does run very hard. I also am not a huge fan of him being a KR, but that is neither here nor there.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'll add that among SEC rushers with 500 yards or more last season, Kerryon is ranked 26th in yards per carry. 26th...

@McLoofus so...should we go ahead and head to the parking lot now? Or later...?

Yeah, let's get on with it. But I'm going to head to lunch first, and then I have a 1:00... what do you look like around 2:30? I'm on Eastern time, btw. Oh, and I have a conference call at 3:30, but I can be late for that if I need to be...

As for Kerryon's production vs. KP's, I only intended to say that I think Kerryon is a viable, every down RB1 if KP isn't around.  There are dozens of variables that go into a given player's production, but nobody really wants to hear my thoughts on them. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Yeah, let's get on with it. But I'm going to head to lunch first, and then I have a 1:00... what do you look like around 2:30? I'm on Eastern time, btw. Oh, and I have a conference call at 3:30, but I can be late for that if I need to be...

As for Kerryon's production vs. KP's, I only intended to say that I think Kerryon is a viable, every down RB1 if KP isn't around.  There are dozens of variables that go into a given player's production, but nobody really wants to hear my thoughts on them. 

Class until 5:45 your time. We may need to reschedule. 

As to the other part, I think we understand each other. 

I'm with Barnacle on this one.  KJ is a great person and player however I don't think he's a great back.  Misses way to many holes.  He's an over strider when running and keeps him from having that 1 cut ability to quickly get north and south.  He doesn't press the line of scrimmage like KP does.  That's the difference.  I'm most excited about Kam Martin.  If he can learn to pass block he will be extremely dangerous in this new offense.

26 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

My hope... and hope is all it is... is that Kerryon will show us more with a fully healthy year.  He's not a bruiser, but when he doesn't have a bum ankle, he's shifty and smart. 

Something else to keep in mind, by the time we finally had the right mix for our O-Line, Kerryon was already hobbled... so we have no idea what he could have done with good blocking and both wheels.

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm most excited about Kam Martin.  If he can learn to pass block he will be extremely dangerous in this new offense.

And catch... he needs to work on the catching... That drop in the Georgia game was the worst drop I think I've ever seen.

Just now, Barnacle said:

As to the other part, I think we understand each other. 

Absolutely. And I should mention that I'm fully expecting KP to be our every down guy, with KJ doing more "gadget" work, for lack of a better term- wildcat, splitting out, etc- and I'm super excited about that. 

@corchjay, honest question- what does "over strider" mean? Always appreciate your analysis. I defer to real football people on that kind of stuff every time. 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

My hope... and hope is all it is... is that Kerryon will show us more with a fully healthy year.  He's not a bruiser, but when he doesn't have a bum ankle, he's shifty and smart. 

Something else to keep in mind, by the time we finally had the right mix for our O-Line, Kerryon was already hobbled... so we have no idea what he could have done with good blocking and both wheels.

You can make that argument, sure. I think I saw enough to draw an informed conclusion about his capabilities as a RB1. 

My hope is that he will have a more defined role this season, the same role he was intended to assume before the departure of Jovon Robinson. Keep him healthy and let him be great in the situations he excells in. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Absolutely. And I should mention that I'm fully expecting KP to be our every down guy, with KJ doing more "gadget" work, for lack of a better term- wildcat, splitting out, etc- and I'm super excited about that. 

@corchjay, honest question- what does "over strider" mean? Always appreciate your analysis. I defer to real football people on that kind of stuff every time. 

what I mean by over strider is his long strides.  Doesn't keep his feet under him.  It's more of a balance thing.  

Archived