enhance the backfield

aubiefifty

I just hope we have a greater rotation of RBs this season.  Not 30 carries for 1 and 20 for another.  how about 18 carries for 1, 15 for another 10 for another and use more players.  I know they say they go with the hot hand but if your blocking is good any hand should be hot.  

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I just hope we have a greater rotation of RBs this season.  Not 30 carries for 1 and 20 for another.  how about 18 carries for 1, 15 for another 10 for another and use more players.  I know they say they go with the hot hand but if your blocking is good any hand should be hot.  

That's about what they had going before KJ got hurt last season. Suddenly, it turned into KP, KM and Truitt, who had to slide over from WR. 

That's why @Barnacle and I were saying that a healthy Miller will be key. And then bringing in Barrett and Williams... not sure how quickly they'll adapt, but they are 2 dudes built for SEC play that we didn't have last year to take the burden off KP once Miller and KJ were both hurt. 

2 big backs in Pettway and Miller, 2 all purpose guys in KJ and Martin, and 2 freshmen who at least have the metrics for the position... I think that's a pretty good rotation. I wouldn't mind Miller and Martin having a little more experience under their belts, but I still feel pretty good about them at RB3A and 3B. Folks in the know are *really* high on Barrett coming in. As for Pettway and Johnson, you can't ask for a much better starting tandem than that. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

You can make that argument, sure. I think I saw enough to draw an informed conclusion about his capabilities as a RB1. 

My hope is that he will have a more defined role this season, the same role he was intended to assume before the departure of Jovon Robinson. Keep him healthy and let him be great in the situations he excells in. 

I'm hoping that Miller will develop into that #1 every down bruising back to come and step into KP's shoes when he leaves. I believe that KJ is a very good back, but is not that dominating force that KP is that can win you the games against the big dogs. Miller has the frame to be that guy, if he can handle the development.

This coming year is starting to shape up to be a very interesting year, with all the offensive possibilities.If CCL can juggle all the weapons we have on offense we can become a very dangerous team to defend.

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

I'm with Barnacle on this one.  KJ is a great person and player however I don't think he's a great back.  Misses way to many holes.  He's an over strider when running and keeps him from having that 1 cut ability to quickly get north and south.  He doesn't press the line of scrimmage like KP does.  That's the difference.  I'm most excited about Kam Martin.  If he can learn to pass block he will be extremely dangerous in this new offense.

Agree with all statements in this post. Especially the misses way too many holes part.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

... we need to keep some tread on Pettway's and Johnson's tires...

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I was very worried about our RB depth going into last season, and it turned out that concern was justified. ...

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

I just hope we have a greater rotation of RBs this season...  

!!!Anybody ever see the scene in "Bite the Bullet," where Jan Michael Vincent runs his horse to death?

8 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

!!!Anybody ever see the scene in "Bite the Bullet," where Jan Michael Vincent runs his horse to death?

He was in something other than Airwolf?!? I hope this movie is on Netflix. 

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He was in something other than Airwolf?!? I hope this movie is on Netflix. 

Serious sleeper, I guess. Loaded cast and tremendous (and multiple) character development.

It's old, but I note that youtube has it in entirety.

7 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I was very worried about our RB depth going into last season, and it turned out that concern was justified. Until establishing a RB-2 who can step into the offense without a hiccup, I'll continue to be slightly wary. That being said, we have a lot more bodies to step into that role this season. And no, I still don't think KJ is that guy, despite how important I think he is to our team. I just don't like him in that role. 

We had 5 runningbacks, 3 of which got injured.. the depth was there last year....

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

#Guiltyaschargedbutcanyoublameme

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

No blame whatsoever, sir. 

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose. 

I doubt any back gets 15 touches a game next year.  Just doesn't seem physically possible:

I project the avg drive will only be 5.3 plays/TD and Stidham will throw it twice on each drive.  If we score 49 points per game, that's only about 40 plays per game.  I think all the backs will be healthy going into Amen Corner.  

Stidham - 15-20 passes per game

Running backs - 25-30 carries

Yards: 630/game

dang....I forgot about special team contributions, my scoring projection is probably low.  Sorry bout that.

:jossun:   Let me go make some more Kool Aid.  Honestly, I don't recall being this excited in a long while.  

1 hour ago, logan adams said:

We had 5 runningbacks, 3 of which got injured.. the depth was there last year....

4 of which got injured at one point or another. Martin was the only one to make it out unscathed. 

28 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I doubt any back gets 15 touches a game next year.  Just doesn't seem physically possible:

I project the avg drive will only be 5.3 plays/TD and Stidham will throw it twice on each drive.  If we score 49 points per game, that's only about 40 plays per game.  I think all the backs will be healthy going into Amen Corner.  

Stidham - 15-20 passes per game

Running backs - 25-30 carries

Yards: 630/game

dang....I forgot about special team contributions, my scoring projection is probably low.  Sorry bout that.

:jossun:   Let me go make some more Kool Aid.  Honestly, I don't recall being this excited in a long while.  

Don't forget... even though Baylor didn't take advantage of it, Stidham is a natural runner.

I like our RB situation. 

KP is boss!

I agree with those that say KJ is a very good and versatile athlete. He can be a RB1 if we need him to, but that is not an ideal situation. 

I am very excited about KMart!  Dude can fly. If he has normal 2nd year development, he could be a really good one. 

I am also really excited about D. Barrett. He could become an elite RB in our O. 

I hope MM is 100% in the fall. He is the only other guy besides KP that can be that bruiser back we want. 

I expect AW to RS and be ready to produce in 2018. 

Archived