Brian Blackmon (Opelika HC) becomes AU Analyst

RunInRed

After resigning as Opelika's head football coach and athletic director on Wednesday afternoon, effectively ending his run at the only job he has known, Blackmon will officially begin a new endeavor on Friday, when he starts his new position as an offensive analyst on coach Gus Malzahn's staff at Auburn.

"It's just the right time," Blackmon told AL.com. "In the past, when opportunities have come, it was never the right time, and right now it's the right time. It is. I feel I'm really at peace with this decision; I feel like Opelika's in a good place. I really have felt like the closer that this thing became a reality, I needed to be uncomfortable again.

"I believe that where you grow is in those places that you're uncomfortable in. For me, stepping out and doing something different and starting back at the bottom and figuring my way through this thing -- that was the part that excited me."

Blackmon has spent the last 21 years at Opelika, serving the first 13 years as offensive coordinator under legendary Bulldogs coach Spence McCracken before spending the last eight as head coach and athletic director. During his eight seasons as head coach, Blackmon guided Opelika to a 69-25 record, including the program's only two trips to the Class 6A state championship game.

"Walking away from Opelika High School is very, very hard," Blackmon said. "Really, one of the toughest decisions that I had to make because I was not unhappy. At no point did I think I just wanted out. I never had -- at any point in my career did I feel like I can't work with somebody or the administration's not supportive. I never had any of that. I always had the best, and I think this is the best place in America, so walking away from it was tough, but I really just got that pull, that tug in my heart to go in a different direction."

"Coach Malzahn has made it his ministry to use his position to give other high school coaches a chance if they have that dream," Blackmon said. "He's been able to do that and there's a lot of those guys that have started at the high school level and have been successful at the college level. He has taken this position and used it as a ministry to help good people have an opportunity at the college game.

"That's really where it started; Coach Malzahn was just like me -- started as a high school coach for a long time, got an opportunity, made good on his opportunity, has been blessed in his opportunity and now he's giving it back doing that."

"In 21 years, we've run Georgia Tech double-slot option, we've run the Wing-T, we've been a downhill Power I team, we've been a four-wide spread team and we've been a two-back spread team," Blackmon said. "I've learned a little bit from everybody. I love learning football. I love talking football; I'm passionate about that. I've been to clinics all over the country. Football's been good to me and given me the opportunity to do that. I've sat at the feet of a lot of people and learned."

"Chip's been a friend for a long time, and having an opportunity to work with him obviously has a part to do with that decision," Blackmon said. "I'm just looking forward to learning and growing... and for me that's what it's all about. Whatever way I can help, that's what I want to do."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/02/brian_blackmon_explains_decisi.html

Now if only we could get the Auburn High school coach to step down MAYBE we could pull some kids in our own backyard! :dunno: :wareagle:

I wonder if lil Nicky would ever do anything like this? I respect Gus for his willingness to bring in coaches from the HS ranks that are really seasoned veteran coaches like Coach Blackmon. I think I see the vision that Gus has for our program's long term success. He does resemble Dean Winchester a good deal!

Tomorrow, I will welcome my newest addition to the Doc family. This will be Bubba-Max, a 7 year old male Corgi in need of a good home. We rescued him through the Corgi Rescue of the Carolinas. He will be the new WDC! (War Damn Corgi II). He will carry the torch with pride and tenacity that are trademarks of Pembroke Welsh Corgis.

Agree @GwillMac6 Auburn high has been on the wrong side of some screw jobs in the past.

What makes me mad is that crap would never never happen in that dumpy town across the state. 

Live and learn. Opelika is a friend.

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

Agree @GwillMac6 Auburn high has been on the wrong side of some screw jobs in the past.

What makes me mad is that crap would never never happen in that dumpy town across the state. 

Live and learn. Opelika is a friend.

we have got to get better at the politics game like west vance has mastered.

Archived