GwillMac6

2017 GT Center Casey Dunn signs

87 posts in this topic

 

Quote

12461907.jpeg

Casey Dunn will be joining the Auburn football program as a graduate transfer for the 2017 season, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn announced Wednesday.

The 6-3, 285-pound Dunn is transferring to Auburn from Jacksonville State, where he was a two-year starter at center, earning first team all-Ohio Valley Conference honors and receiving first team All-America recognition from Walter Camp, and second team All-America honors from the Associated Press, STATS and the AFCA. Dunn anchored the Gamecock offensive line that paved the way for the top offense and rushing offense in the OVC, rolling up 434 yards per game, 250.6 yards per game on the ground.

A team captain for Coach Hal Riddle at Hewitt-Trussville High, the Trussville, Ala., product earned all-metro honors as a senior.

The son of Charles and Deitra Dunn, his brother Riley and sister Courtney both attend Auburn. He received a bachelor's degree in applied manufacturing engineering from JSU in December 2016.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022217aaa.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Just now, logan adams said:

Uhhh and who is this?

2 time all american center from jax st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if this means that we have a plan for Dunn at C and move Golson to one of the T spots. This would mean being able to keep Smith at his original spot and possibly move James in to play G

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what does this allow us to do? IF he could start at center does that allow us to move Golson to RT tackle. Harrell and Horton battle for left guard. Golson to LF guard and Harrell, Horton and Ashley battle for RT Tackle? Or is he just a quality backup? Too soon to tell?

Edited by AlaskanFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Wonder if this means that we have a plan for Dunn at C and move Golson to one of the T spots. This would mean being able to keep Smith at his original spot and possibly move James in to play G

WO that is a lot to process for this simple minded folk in Feb! haha

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

WO that is a lot to process for this simple minded folk in Feb! haha

Haha! I really like this move, especially if it moves James inside. He could really be a devastating run blocker imo if he moves to G. Pair that up with Smith and I think Pettway will be able to feast. On what would be the other open spot, time to get Tega off the bench and put his athleticism to use. I don't expect Ashley to be at that caliber yet on day 1 but that's just my opinion. I for some reason get a vibe similar to that of Martez Ivey that went to UF. Which means not ready right off the bat but I think will turn into a very good player.

Edited by Maverick.AU
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Haha! I really like this move, especially if it moves James inside. He could really be a devastating run blocker imo if he moves to G. Pair that up with Smith and I think Pettway will be able to feast. On what would be the other open spot, time to get Tega off the bench and put his athleticism to use. I don't expect Ashley to be at that caliber yet on day 1 but that's just my opinion. I for some reason get a vibe similar to that of Martez Ivey that went to UF. Which means not ready right off the bat but I think will turn into a very good player.

at the least it gives us some very good depth along the OL. especially if the princes are as advertised!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing makes me happier this off-season than seeing the coaches make an extra effort to shore up the O-line.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Nothing makes me happier this off-season than seeing the coaches make an extra effort to shore up the O-line.

Yep, depth on either line has shown up as keys to success

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so glad to see Casey become an Auburn Tiger. Welcome to the Auburn Family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Wonder if this means that we have a plan for Dunn at C and move Golson to one of the T spots. This would mean being able to keep Smith at his original spot and possibly move James in to play G

It gives us a lot of flexibility to put our best 5 OL on the field Golson can & has played Guard & Tackle in college. James is not a lock to be 1 of the best 5 OL FWIW.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It gives us a lot of flexibility to put our best 5 OL on the field Golson can & has played Guard & Tackle in college. James is not a lock to be 1 of the best 5 OL FWIW.

Exactly with guys like Horton and the prince's off the bench it definitely increases our flexibility. Though from watching James, if he becomes consistent, I think he can be a very dominant run blocker, he has the strength and size to do it. My concern is more with his motor play in and play out.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So what does this allow us to do? IF he could start at center does that allow us to move Golson to RT tackle. Harrell and Horton battle for left guard. Golson to LF guard and Harrell, Horton and Ashley battle for RT Tackle? Or is he just a quality backup? Too soon to tell?

There's a lot of possible combinations as, barring attrition, you have 9 guys battling for 5 spots. The only things that seem highly likely ATM are Dunn starting at Center plus Braden & Golson starting somewhere but positions TBD on them. Then you have 6 other guys battling for 2 starting spots: Darius James, 2 Princes, Horton, Harrell, & Calvin Ashley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Exactly with guys like Horton and the prince's off the bench it definitely increases our flexibility. Though from watching James, if he becomes consistent, I think he can be a very dominant run blocker, he has the strength and size to do it. My concern is more with his motor play in and play out.

Agree 1000%!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Agree 1000%!

James had several of what you would call "lazy" plays this past season which if he had sealed his block they would've more than likely been TD's that's what I want to see more from him is that motor and drive consistency, but the guy definitely has the talent and the gift.

Edited by Maverick.AU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maverick.AU said:

James has several of what you would call "lazy" plays this season which if he had sealed his block they would've more than likely been TD's that's what I want to see more from him is that motor and drive consistency, but the guy definitely has the talent and the gift.

Happened in practive too unfortunately.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ellitor said:

Happened in practive too unfortunately.

Question is if he will make those same types of plays  playing on the inside against a DT rather than playing with the responsibility of tackle against an athletic DE. Also if he'll be able to get to second level on certain plays which are key when talking about interior OL. I've seen flashes that make me excited about his potential but it's all about consistency 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Question is if he will make those same types of plays  playing on the inside against a DT rather than playing with the responsibility of tackle against an athletic DE. Also if he'll be able to get to second level on certain plays which are key when talking about interior OL. I've seen flashes that make me excited about his potential but it's all about consistency 

The light has to come on for him as an OL just like it did for Monty this year as a DL. DJ is a very, very talented young man. He was a 5* for a reason. If we were to start our most talented 5 DJ would be in it with no question. He in the top 2 or 3 on roster in term of raw OL talent.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ellitor said:

The light has to come on for him as an OL just like it did for Monty this year as a DL. DJ is a very, very talented young man. He was a 5* for a reason. If we were to start our most talented 5 DJ would be in it with no question. He in the top 2 or 3 on roster in term of raw OL talent.

Exactly and I've gotten drawn in by the flashes of that talent but as you say as far as consistency he may not be in the top 5, but I really hope he is come game 1. Our O will be better if he is imo.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Exactly and I've gotten drawn in by the flashes of that talent but as you say as far as consistency he may not be in the top 5, but I really hope he is come game 1. Our O will be better if he is imo.

Absolutely.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This signals to me that K. Kim isn't ready to be a reliable backup.  That's what it means to me.  I don't think it means a move for Golson but more a lack of confidence in Kim.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, corchjay said:

This signals to me that K. Kim isn't ready to be a reliable backup.  That's what it means to me.  I don't think it means a move for Golson but more a lack of confidence in Kim.

I think it means both. Moving Golson would not be a negative on him. Just trying to play the best 5. I know CD came from D2 but IMO you don't bring in a 2 time all american to be a back up. You bring him in to compete for a starting job.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All American at lower level as opposed to SEC defensive lineman and coaches schemes are a huge difference 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this in my notifications and was a little sad it turned out to be a football center and not basketball! Welcome Casey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now