position battles: Offensive tackle

aubiefifty

ledger-enquirer.com

Auburn spring position battles: Offensive tackle

By Michael Niziolekmniziolek@ledger-enquirer.com

Auburn’s impending quarterback battle is an important one, but the team has other positions up for grabs when spring practice starts Feb. 28.

Here is a look at Auburn’s top position battles this spring…

Position: Offensive tackle

Contenders: Darius James, Austin Golson, Braden Smith, Prince Tega Wanogho, Prince Michael Sammons, Calvin Ashley, Tyler Carr, Bailey Sharp

Auburn has two holes on the offensive line to fill with tackle Robert Leff and guard Alex Kozan graduating. Leff was one of the team’s top run blockers last year at right tackle starting 15 games.

While Darius James anchored the left side for much of the year, Austin Golson started the first four games of the season at left tackle. James is an early favorite to lock down a starting spot, but the coaching staff could easily elect to put him at righ tackle.

The competition at the position could last all the way until the opener considering high-profile true freshman Ashley isn’t arriving until May. The coaching staff promised Ashley a chance to compete for playing time this fall during his recruitment, a pledge coach Gus Malzahn reiterated on national signing day.

Auburn isn’t lacking for options with or without Ashley in the mix.

Offensive line coach Herb Hand could put Golson back at tackle if the team has confidence in backup center Kaleb Kim.

Braden Smith, who has started 27 straight games, could get a tryout at the spot. The offensive lineman would improve his draft stock thriving at tackle his senior year.

Auburn also has a number of underclassmen — Prince Michael Sammons, Tyler Carr, Bailey Sharp and Prince Tega Wanogho — looking to get into the mix.

Wanogho is a name to watch considering the rapid progress he’s made on the line.

Coach Gus Malzahn didn’t announce Wanogho was switching positions until SEC Media days. Wanogho was listed as the team’s backup right tackle by the end of the season.

Wanogho is ready to play wherever he’s needed after taking reps at left tackle during bowl practice.

If the two Prince's can end up being studs for us, then we become a really dangerous team. Otherwise, we'll have growing pains with Ashley or inconsistent play from James. I really hope that we leave Braden Smith at RG.

My preferred lineup is 

LT - Prince Tega

LG - Darius James

C - Austin Golson

RG - Braden Smith

RT - Prince Sammons

Thankfully, we've added some depth at Center. If Dunn can add 15 more lbs and hold up at center, I wouldn't mind moving Golson to RT or LG to fill in one of the vacant positions. I also like Horton or Harrell at LG. I love the flexibility we have, but it's still the tackle spots that scare me. 

Question for someone who watched the O-line a lot closer than I did.  I didn't get the sense that we were hurting at LT last year.  The only game I remember getting killed was TAMU when we did the moronic pull the right guard to block the #1 draft pick in 2017.  James may have taken plays off, but I just don't remember us getting killed from his position either passing or running.  So, unless someone knows something why not leave him there and find a right tackle from the Prince's, Ashley, or the previous OT recruits we've signed?  And plug Horton or Harrell at LG?  Just seems like we are trying to create chemistry problems on the O-line by forgetting we have 3 returning starters and trying to switch everyone to a different position so basically you would have no one returning to start at their previous position.  That may be better in the long run for getting your "best 5" out there after they've had a chance to play and gel together over a number of games, but I see problems early on and GM doesn't have that luxury next year.

Our "best 5" will definitely include Smith and Golson. 

If James steps up his game (Mon Adams-esque) he could be the best OL we have. If not, he may not make the top 5. 

Prince Tega is a grown freaking man!  He has made some impressive strides. I think he will be tough to keep out of the top 5. 

I like Horton a lot!  He is going to be a really good OG. 

Harrell and Prince S. aren't far behind those 2 guys IMHO. They are in position to make a move. 

We all know about Ashley's potential.  Not being here for Spring ball is going to make it tough for him to crack the top 5, but he just might do it. 

The addition of Dunn adds a lot of intrigue to the OL. My first thought is that he will be a good back up for Golson.  However, GTs don't come to sit and watch. If he can make it into the "top 5" that could rearrange a lot!

That's 9 guys that have a realistic shot of cracking the "top 5". Did I leave anyone out?

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Question for someone who watched the O-line a lot closer than I did.  I didn't get the sense that we were hurting at LT last year.  The only game I remember getting killed was TAMU when we did the moronic pull the right guard to block the #1 draft pick in 2017.  James may have taken plays off, but I just don't remember us getting killed from his position either passing or running.  So, unless someone knows something why not leave him there and find a right tackle from the Prince's, Ashley, or the previous OT recruits we've signed?  And plug Horton or Harrell at LG?  Just seems like we are trying to create chemistry problems on the O-line by forgetting we have 3 returning starters and trying to switch everyone to a different position so basically you would have no one returning to start at their previous position.  That may be better in the long run for getting your "best 5" out there after they've had a chance to play and gel together over a number of games, but I see problems early on and GM doesn't have that luxury next year.

I agree with you that chemistry is very important along the OL. 

IMHO, that's what Spring ball is for. Let the coaches play with all the toys and get confident in which 5 are the best 5. But like what you said, I would like to see us roll into fall camp with our starting OL pretty much decided. Ashley being the only possible exception to that. 

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Pass blocking as a whole was not good. Hasn't been in a while. 

Archived