position battles: QB

aubiefifty

ledger-enquirer.com

Auburn spring position battles: Quarterback

By Michael Niziolekmniziolek@ledger-enquirer.com

Auburn’s impending quarterback battle is an important one with fans clamoring to see what Jarrett Stidham can bring to the offense when spring practice opens Feb. 28.

Here is a look at one of Auburn’s key position battles this spring…

Position: Quarterback

Contenders: Sean White, Jarrett Stidham, John Franklin III, Woody Barrett, Malik Willis

New Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey will decide how the reps are split up this spring, a rotation the team has yet to reveal.

There’s also uncertainty over how many quarterbacks will be splitting up those reps with Sean White still rehabbing his injured forearm.

White said he would be ready to go, but coach Gus Malzahn is a little more uncertain about the quarterback’s prognosis for the start of camp.

The injury could leave an opening for younger contenders like Barrett and Willis to make an impression. They are long shots for the starting job, but getting in the mix for one of the primary backup roles could help them see the field at least during mop up duty against lesser opponents this fall.

Barrett is clamoring for an opportunity as a late season tweet suggested.

With Lindsey pledging a more diverse passing attack, Stidham is the clear favorite. The changes to Auburn’s offense should plays into the Baylor transfer’s strengths.

Stidham is coming off a lengthy layoff — he spent the fall taking classes at McLennan Community College — but didn’t play football.

The quarterback showed a lot of potential in 2015 throwing for 1,265 yards (75 of 109 passing) with 12 touchdowns in 10 games.

John Franklin III seems like the odd man out in the competition. The speedy dual threat quarterback showed little improvement in the passing game as last season went on.

While the coaching staff expressed confidence in the former junior college transfer publically, they were reluctant to start him against Alabama in the Iron Bowl.

Franklin is pinning his hopes on competing for the job after brushing off questions about changing positions or transferring.

Auburn probably isn’t in a rush to name a starter, but last year’s competition spilled into the fall because none of the contenders — White, Franklin and Jeremy Johnson — made a clear enough case for the number one spot.

The coaching staff might not be so reluctant if Stidham has a breakout spring. Coach Gus Malzahn announced Jeremy Johnson as a starter at the end of spring practice two years ago.

If what we've heard about Stidham is correct, this will be his job to lose. Still, I'm concerned about depth. Obviously, a healthy Sean White provides solid depth, but how healthy will he be? 

I believe that for spring AU needs to focus on Stidham and Barrett. I know with a new OC that White also has to go about learning the new system but we are speaking about someone who is familiar with running an AU based offense and who I believe is really good at understanding the game. I do believe that White will be the best backup we have, but I do not see the need to waste a large amount of reps on White this spring. That is if he is even ready to go. I think it is more important to focus on Stidham, who I believe is our best bet, or Barrett is will possibly be around for the next four years. 

until they prove me wrong in my mind i have faith in the graduate assistant qb kid and coach lindsey. both seem to place "higher" value in getting our qb's fine tuned and the ones behind ready as well. one can certainly hope.

48 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I believe that for spring AU needs to focus on Stidham and Barrett. I know with a new OC that White also has to go about learning the new system but we are speaking about someone who is familiar with running an AU based offense and who I believe is really good at understanding the game. I do believe that White will be the best backup we have, but I do not see the need to waste a large amount of reps on White this spring. That is if he is even ready to go. I think it is more important to focus on Stidham, who I believe is our best bet, or Barrett is will possibly be around for the next four years. 

White is out for spring.

It's entirely possible that Willis passes Barrett on the depth chart.

Does  Michael Niziolekmniziolek know something about Tyler Queen that nobody else does? 

Tyler Queen as yesterday's news is a bit odd - extremely promising QB after junior year in high school QB that's been hurt virtually ever since and is now (allegedly) injury free. He's the sort of QB that if he transferred could put up phenomenal numbers for a TCU, Texas Tech or...Baylor (not wouldn't that be a story). 

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Obviously, a healthy Sean White provides solid depth, but how healthy will he be? 

He should be perfectly healthy. A broken arm is not a lingering injury and rarely has side effects. Bone breaks are actually the best injury for an athlete, because they don't effect performance once healed.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

He should be perfectly healthy. A broken arm is not a lingering injury and rarely has side effects. Bone breaks are actually the best injury for an athlete, because they don't effect performance once healed.

Right, I'm alluding to the fact that he is constantly hurt. And, his shoulder issues are far more concerning. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Right, I'm alluding to the fact that he is constantly hurt. And, his shoulder issues are far more concerning. 

I'm not worried about his shoulder.  I've heard no talk of surgery, and he seems like mid-season Sean until he broke his forearm in the Sugar Bowl. 

I still think we can address the constantly hurt issue with adjustments to our conditioning program. We need more flexibility training.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm not worried about his shoulder.  I've heard no talk of surgery, and he seems like mid-season Sean until he broke his forearm in the Sugar Bowl. 

I still think we can address the constantly hurt issue with adjustments to our conditioning program. We need more flexibility training.

And with a bit of common sense. Such as not taking on linebackers.

Just now, SumterAubie said:

And with a bit of common sense. Such as not taking on linebackers.

That I'm actually worried about.  Knowing that we have Stidham might make Sean play with even less concern for his own health.

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Did you wonder why he was limited in practice before the Sugar Bowl and the report about him not throwing an actual football during practice that media reported?  I suspect there is much more to his health than a broken/fractured forearm.  We'll never know with Gus though.

12 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Did you wonder why he was limited in practice before the Sugar Bowl and the report about him not throwing an actual football during practice that media reported?  I suspect there is much more to his health than a broken/fractured forearm.  We'll never know with Gus though.

First, it has nothing to do with Gus. It's illegal for a school to discuss the specifics of a student's health.  As for the rumors, they were just that, rumors. I assume you saw him drive the team down the field just like the rest of us. If you are basing your knowledge of what's going on with a football team on what the media is reporting, then you are going to be mislead more often than not.

4 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I hope so, but word is that he isn't transitioning all that well to the college game.  And there is lots of talk about the Willis kid passing him on the depth chart. I'm afraid he will transfer if he finds himself behind Willis. 

Personally, I hope that he takes the reigns after the Stidham days. But the competition isn't going to get easier. Who knows if Queen will ever take a meaningful snap, he hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy yet, he may be destined to be a career placeholder.  But Willis isn't a slouch, and we have Joey Gatewood possibly coming in this recruiting cycle. Barrett needs to get his transition down, and hopefully the game will slow down for him a bit. This would allow us to redshirt Willis this upcoming season, and give Woody a leg up on both Willis and Gatewood. 

Woody has all the talent in the world. He has the size and strength to run a Cam Newton type offense to perfection. IF he can transition to the college game. And IF he can become a threat passing at the college level, look out. We have a superstar in WB possibily. 

I truly hope he sticks around to find out... However IF has the possibility to go either way... 

And as far as Sean... I was a Sean hater at the start of this season. And while healthy, he can run this offense unquestionably. Problem is he can't stay healthy. I think he will be fine this season, and be quite possibly be the best backup in the nation. 

We are looking at at a good problem to have guys... 

4 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Agree with that 1,000%. I'll probably get blasted but I hope Barrett does become our backup IF he's ready. I'm trying to temper my expectations with JS but even with doing that it shouldn't take us long to declare JS as the starter. No need in delaying it with all the QB mumbo jumbo talk going into Fall and wasting snaps JS should be getting.

13 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I hope so, but word is that he isn't transitioning all that well to the college game.  And there is lots of talk about the Willis kid passing him on the depth chart. I'm afraid he will transfer if he finds himself behind Willis. 

Personally, I hope that he takes the reigns after the Stidham days. But the competition isn't going to get easier. Who knows if Queen will ever take a meaningful snap, he hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy yet, he may be destined to be a career placeholder.  But Willis isn't a slouch, and we have Joey Gatewood possibly coming in this recruiting cycle. Barrett needs to get his transition down, and hopefully the game will slow down for him a bit. This would allow us to redshirt Willis this upcoming season, and give Woody a leg up on both Willis and Gatewood. 

Woody has all the talent in the world. He has the size and strength to run a Cam Newton type offense to perfection. IF he can transition to the college game. And IF he can become a threat passing at the college level, look out. We have a superstar in WB possibily. 

I truly hope he sticks around to find out... However IF has the possibility to go either way... 

And as far as Sean... I was a Sean hater at the start of this season. And while healthy, he can run this offense unquestionably. Problem is he can't stay healthy. I think he will be fine this season, and be quite possibly be the best backup in the nation. 

I can certainly see that happening. It would not surprise me that if Woody is not  the backup he'll likely be gone. I hope not though.

I just don't see SW staying healthy. Ton of heart but this is Romo all over again for me. Plus, i'm still not convinced he can stretch the field efficiently enough for the offense to really be explosive like it's capable of being. That's ok with teams like Arky, Miss schools and the less talented teams on defense but i'm just not that confident in him when it comes to the better defenses. 

27 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I'm afraid he will transfer if he finds himself behind Willis. 

If Barrett transfers because Willis passes him, then he's destined to QB for a mid-major at best.

27 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

and we have Joey Gatewood possibly coming in this recruiting cycle

And Nix the following cycle who is looking more and more like a QB of the future to bet on.

28 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

One no one would have foreseen a couple of games into 2015.

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

If Barrett transfers because Willis passes him, then he's destined to QB for a mid-major at best.

And Nix the following cycle who is looking more and more like a QB of the future to bet on.

I will probably get killed for this but I like Nix's game much more than Gatewood. Be nice to have them both though.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I will probably get killed for this but I like Nix's game much more than Gatewood. Be nice to have them both though.

I do too.

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree. I certainly didn't.

I get wanting qb depth, and im not trying to blast a kid, but i don't see the reason to care of Barrett gets passed by willis. If that's the case then he's prob not good enough to be worried about in the first place, or willis is working his tail off getting more efficient. As for white,  i think we will see him at his healthiest if he is the backup.  Not having to take those hits week in week out can do wonders

8 hours ago, auburntiger1987 said:

I get wanting qb depth, and im not trying to blast a kid, but i don't see the reason to care of Barrett gets passed by willis. If that's the case then he's prob not good enough to be worried about in the first place, or willis is working his tail off getting more efficient. 

I hear ya. I think folks let their imaginations run a wild a bit these days when we sign an athletic QB, and they have trouble letting go. It happened with Franklin and it might be happening with Barrett, although he's still got plenty of time to turn it around and the change of scenery at OC might help him. (Or it might not.) 

If had gotten any game reps last year then I would get it, but we were pretty desperate and he never saw the field. It's not an epitaph but it's not a ringing endorsement, either.

14 hours ago, DAG said:

Nothing to get killed for Nix is a far more developed QB at this point.

I'm convinced we have several talented QBs with a good mix of skill sets, a stable of versatile RBs, talented WRs, and a solid core of good lineman. Now it's up to the coaches to put them in a system to succeed. Fingers crossed. 

21 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm convinced we have several talented QBs with a good mix of skill sets, a stable of versatile RBs, talented WRs, and a solid core of good lineman. Now it's up to the coaches to put them in a system to succeed. Fingers crossed. 

If we had gone into 2015 or 2016 with this group at this experience level, I would've been making some very bold predictions. 

Archived