Jameis Winston "Girls are Supposed to be Silent"

AU-24

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18747257/jameis-winston-tampa-bay-buccaneers-says-made-poor-word-choice-telling-female-students-silent

"But the ladies, they're supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men [are] supposed to be strong. I want y'all to tell me what the third rule of life is: I can do anything I put my mind to."

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18747257/jameis-winston-tampa-bay-buccaneers-says-made-poor-word-choice-telling-female-students-silent

"But the ladies, they're supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men [are] supposed to be strong. I want y'all to tell me what the third rule of life is: I can do anything I put my mind to."

Winston put his mind into being a fool. 

When you remove good judgment from the occasion, "I can do anything I set my mind to" becomes "I can do anything".

I read more about this.  There may be lots to dislike about this guy, but this story isn't one of them.  Stories like this is why I despise sports media.

he was trying to relay a positive message to one boy without singling him out, so he had all the boys stand and spoke to the boys collectively.  Winston was trying to set a positive example. Those boys don't know his past.  

I give him credit for this and don't think he needed to clarify squat.

3 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I read more about this.  There may be lots to dislike about this guy, but this story isn't one of them.  Stories like this is why I despise sports media.

he was trying to relay a positive message to one boy without singling him out, so he had all the boys stand and spoke to the boys collectively.  Winston was trying to set a positive example. Those boys don't know his past.  

I give him credit for this and don't think he needed to clarify squat.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/martin-rogers/2017/02/23/jameis-winston-tampa-bay-buccaneers/98303116/

Jameis Winston delivers wrong message to kids

“But the ladies, they’re supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men (are) supposed to be strong. I want y’all to tell me what the third rule of life is: I can do anything I put my mind to.”

Notice the problem here? Let’s start with the fact that at last check the calendar currently reads 2017, not 1947. Part of the message was wonderful. If educators, society and mentors are doing their job properly, then youngsters should feel they are capable of anything.

The rest of it? Completely cringe-worthy.

Boys can have deep voices, and that is just fine. They can talk loudly and boldly. But they’re not “supposed to,” not any longer. And if they do happen to be soft-spoken, they’re not “supposed to” be different.

As for what message it sends about females, phew, where to start? Hey girls, sit down. Be quiet. Not just quiet, silent. And the bit about being able to do whatever you put your mind to. Yeah, that doesn’t apply to you.

Ouch.

Jumping back into the time-machine and returning to the present, Winston tried to explain it all away. Frankly, the explanation has degree of plausibility and doesn’t immediately smack of damage control.

Winston got away with sexual abuse/rape because he happened to be a good football player.  He is a thug.  

wde

Just wonderin' who is going to line up to fix those crab legs for him now...

Archived