2018 4* OG Tank Jenkins

ellitor

Just now, AU80cruiser said:

I blame the guys talking about his neck pic.

Lol. Nope. Tank waited too long for now to take the committable offer he had earlier in the week.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Do you mind if I steal the phrase Sabanize in some future post. Plagiarism is a form of flattery.

Jeff Burger thought so.

WDE!

On July 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM, ellitor said:

Lol. Nope. Tank waited too long for now to take the committable offer he had earlier in the week.

The barn has left the tank....   Lol. 

42 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Hahaha!  Good memory. I had completely forgotten about that. 

I'm sure we've had a player get pinched for the same offense since then, but for some strange reason every time I hear the word plagiarism or the name Jeff Burger that's what I think of.  I recall seeing Dye on a commemorative DVD telling that story.  He said when they told him JB got caught for plagiarism his initial response was, "Well, what kind of disease is that?!"

WDE!

1 hour ago, MadtownTiger said:

I'm sure we've had a player get pinched for the same offense since then, but for some strange reason every time I hear the word plagiarism or the name Jeff Burger that's what I think of.  I recall seeing Dye on a commemorative DVD telling that story.  He said when they told him JB got caught for plagiarism his initial response was, "Well, what kind of disease is that?!"

WDE!

Same disease that caused PD's "hemochromatosis".....?

• 3 months later...

In-state OL looks ready to pull trigger on Auburn

If Tank Jenkins hadn’t hesitated before, he may already be in Auburn’s 2018 class. It’s quite possible he will land in it anyway.

The Park Crossing (Ala.) offensive guard opened up about a summer trip to Auburn when he felt in his heart it was time to commit. His mother told him to hold off to take trips to Oklahoma, Louisville and others. Jenkins obliged.

Now that more time has passed, Jenkins been persuaded even more the Tigers.

“I was about a couple inches close [over the summer]. I had a talk with my mom and she stopped me from doing it,” Jenkins said. “’I’m about a week or two. Now we already took enough time. It’s time for a decision to be made.”

Jenkins was particularly blown away after the Auburn-Georgia game.

IMG_8578_kwtzr5.jpg
Tigers’ offensive line target Tank Jenkins speaks with offensive line coach Herb Hand. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

He spent some personal time talking with offensive line coach Herb Hand. A few of Auburn’s commits passed the information along to me that they thought Jenkins could be on commit watch at the game. That didn’t happen, but according to Jenkins, he’s ready to finalize his decision — and Auburn looks like the clear leader.

“It’s coming soon. It’s coming soon,” Jenkins said.

Here’s the caveat with Jenkins’ decision.

Had he made this choice over the summer, when he was originally ready, Auburn likely would’ve taken him in a heartbeat. Now Auburn — with two interior linemen already committed — feels its chances with 4-star offensive guard Trey Hill are rising. Hill and Jenkins are similar prospects, so the Tigers must answer whether they’d want to take both Jenkins and Hill or just one, which could delay Jenkins’ pick.

“We didn’t talk too much about that,” Jenkins said. “We’re going to sit down and talk about it.”

Jenkins will be back for the Auburn game this weekend against Louisiana-Monroe. He’ll return for the Iron Bowl. If the the Tigers feel ready to take him, Jenkins will likely pounce on the opportunity.

He’s still expected to take official visits to Auburn, Oklahoma and Louisville. Jenkins will sign in December, but he won’t be an early enrollee.

I've read where the staff feels that Stutts is going to play OT. If that's correct, I'm on board with taking both Hill and Jenkins. Irvin is a Center. I'd be in favor of signing five OL this class if there's another OT we like. If Stutts is destined to be a Guard though, I don't see the point in signing all three Guards.

1 minute ago, mcgufcm said:

I've read where the staff feels that Stutts is going to play OT. If that's correct, I'm on board with taking both Hill and Jenkins. Irvin is a Center. I'd be in favor of signing five OL this class if there's another OT we like. If Stutts is destined to be a Guard though, I don't see the point in signing all three Guards.

Haven't seen this. That would be the only explanation I see for the staff to be ready to take Tank W/ Trey Hill still out there.

Not sure where I read it, but I know I did see that somewhere because I remember thinking "oh interesting." I do know he's playing Tackle in high school, which is worth essentially nothing but I added it anyway.

So a question for those in the know or the coaches out there...  Both Tank & Trey both primarily are playing T in their highlight videos.  2 questions.

1) Why are they both projected as G when in college? 

a. Is this a size issue because they are only 6'3"-4"?
               b. Is this an issue where in high school you generally put your better lineman at T like you put your best athlete at QB?

2) With the injuries we have had, would 3 Gs not be good?  I mean a G is just a C waiting on an injury.  Right?  Shouldn't a good G be able to roll down and play center?  I know there is a little more to C than G, I am just speaking in physical traits.

First of all, as I have said earlier, Tank Jenkins is my favorite name in this class! A OG named Tank?!?!  That’s awesome!

2. I love that we feel good about him and Hill. I think both can be very solid OL. 

3.  As for Hill, Tank, Stutts, etc. I don’t like the idea of getting the best available and hoping a couple of them can play OT.  We need to get some legit OTs as well.  That would stink if that meant we don’t allow Tank to be part of this class, but if he is the odd man out based on the coaches’ evaluations then I wish him the best wherever he ends up. ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

First of all, as I have said earlier, Tank Jenkins is my favorite name in this class! A OG named Tank?!?!  That’s awesome!

2. I love that we feel good about him and Hill. I think both can be very solid OL. 

3.  As for Hill, Tank, Stutts, etc. I don’t like the idea of getting the best available and hoping a couple of them can play OT.  We need to get some legit OTs as well.  That would stink if that meant we don’t allow Tank to be part of this class, but if he is the odd man out based on the coaches’ evaluations then I wish him the best wherever he ends up. ?‍♂️

I think he is better than stutts he just did not jump in the boat fast enough.

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I’m no expert on OL by any means, but I think so too. 

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think he is better than stutts he just did not jump in the boat fast enough.

I would agree as well.  Even more of a reason to take all 3 and see which one pans out.  I know we still need OT, but we have some pretty good young talent.  Maybe this is the year we skip on the OT and go after the interior linemen

41 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I would agree as well.  Even more of a reason to take all 3 and see which one pans out.  I know we still need OT, but we have some pretty good young talent.  Maybe this is the year we skip on the OT and go after the interior linemen

A bird in the hand........ I do not want us to get caught with our pants down with trey hill. Take tank as he CLEARLY wants to commit now and worry about the numbers down the road. It is not like tank is some project either. He is a legit 4 star prospect. Besides we are losing almost our whole OL. Taking 1 more OL would be good for us.

54 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Maybe this is the year we skip on the OT and go after the interior linemen

I don’t think we can do that. We need tackles in this class!

15 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I don’t think we can do that. We need tackles in this class!

unfortunately not a lot of great tackles in this class. I just hope we somehow get 1 of wonnum or that juco kid from new york who is viewed as a lsu lean now.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

unfortunately not a lot of great tackles in this class. I just hope we somehow get 1 of wonnum or that juco kid from new york who is viewed as a lsu lean now.

I'd rather pres for Mays. Wonnum is all Cocky. 

I don't know that our coaches would agree with the assessment of Stutts v. Jenkins. They really like Stutts. That wasn't just a "take him to fill out the class" move. We offered early and pressed for his commitment because we really like him.

On 11/16/2017 at 4:23 PM, lkeel75 said:

1) Why are they both projected as G when in college? 

b. Is this an issue where in high school you generally put your better lineman at T like you put your best athlete at QB?

2) With the injuries we have had, would 3 Gs not be good?  I mean a G is just a C waiting on an injury.  Right?  Shouldn't a good G be able to roll down and play center?

No & Not necessarily.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

Will we put the full court press on him if we miss out on Hill?

He’ll probably come here with open arms if we miss on Hill

9 hours ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

So is this guy a "take", or what?

No & may not even be on the staff's board anymore.

Will we put the full court press on him if we miss out on Hill?

Highly unlikely at this time.

Or will we go JUCO or Grad Transfer to fill the G spot?

No. We don't have to have another G. The staff is just trying to take Trey Hill because they see him at a total bad ass at G or C.

9 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

He’ll probably come here with open arms if we miss on Hill

Could be wrong but I'd be mildly surprised if he ever becomes a take at this point.

Archived