Softball Rivals' Updates

OlderWhiskey

#1 Florida State finally lost a game, to Texas A&M - shut out by Samantha Show.  Tennessee is still undefeated, I believe.  #22 Missouri beat Washington 9-5.  And Oklahoma lost its third game, to Tennessee.

SEC is loaded this year it seems. So does Tennessee or TAMU jump all the way to 1 so we can stay 2nd? ;D

Let me update the update.  A&M is still undefeated. Playing in the Mary Nutter Classic, they take on BYU and #14 Michigan today.  I think Tennessee is also playing in this, which must be a huge event.  Anyway, UT lost its first game yesterday to Utah, 3-0.  The Vols have a hotshot freshman pitcher named Caylan Arnold, who is 5-1.  She hadn't given up an earned run until yesterday.  Pitched against Paige Parker in the Vols' win over Oklahoma.

And yes, it seems the SEC is really loaded this year.  We don't play either of the above two teams, and still have a killer schedule, especially on the road, where we play Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and So. Car.  At home we get the two Miss. schools plus LSU and Missouri, who just beat Washington.

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Let me update the update.  A&M is still undefeated. Playing in the Mary Nutter Classic, they take on BYU and #14 Michigan today.  I think Tennessee is also playing in this, which must be a huge event.  Anyway, UT lost its first game yesterday to Utah, 3-0.  The Vols have a hotshot freshman pitcher named Caylan Arnold, who is 5-1.  She hadn't given up an earned run until yesterday.  Pitched against Paige Parker in the Vols' win over Oklahoma.

And yes, it seems the SEC is really loaded this year.  We don't play either of the above two teams, and still have a killer schedule, especially on the road, where we play Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and So. Car.  At home we get the two Miss. schools plus LSU and Missouri, who just beat Washington.

We actually do play Tennessee in Columbia, TN on March 14.  It's just a single game but I'm not sure if it will count in the conference standings or not.  I don't think it does.

Yes, I have tickets to the UT game in Columbia.  It won't count as a conference game, which must've been in my mind when I said we didn't play them.  They had a freshman pitcher last year who shut us down in Knoxville; now they apparently have another.  Erin Gabriel graduated,I think; not sure about Rainey ________ (can't recall her last name right now). 

Look for A&M to make a monstrous jump in next week's rankings.  They beat #1 FSU, then blew out BYU 11-1, and then beat #14 Michigan.  I'm thinking Top 5 for sure (they're currently #18).  A team that won't be in the Top 5 is Oklahoma, who suffered their 4th loss today at the hands of Notre Dame, 5-4.  In an early season matchup of Top 10 teams, UCLA (4) defeated LSU (8) 6-5 in 8 innings.  And Florida State, currently #1, was leading #9 Arizona 1-0 in top 5.

ESPN is reporting a 5-5 tie as the final score between FSU and Michigan. And indeed that seems to be where their (FSU's) live stat page locked up. They had played 7 complete, and Michigan still had a game to go. Maybe they're trying to get the girls back to school?

Archived