Baker Mayfield arrested

Maverick.AU

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

It also speaks to the way Stoops runs his team. There's no way he doesn't know the personalities of his players, and not keeping a reign on the key to your team's success is just stupid... but we already knew that character isn't a priority for Stoops.

How that POS gets away with it, I'll never understand. And, no, I'm not interested in trying to put myself in Stoops's shoes, so I'll take my self righteous ball and go home now :) 

How often have we seen the "star" player gt away with things - because that has been happening.  They do stupid things because they have done stupid things and not gotten in trouble.  Somebody covered/protected/allowed it to go unpunished.  Notice he was arrested in Arkansas, not where the OU is located.

But don't worry, he will be punished this time because he was caught and now it is public information.  So using the OU standard of man who beats up woman and breaks her jaw sits out his redshirt year, the OU punishment for public intoxication will be he has to sit out the last quarter of the spring game when he would not have been playing anyway.

22 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Admittedly a huge character flaw on my part.  I have serious trouble putting myself in the shoes of others when it comes to understanding, coping, etc. If it makes sense to me, it's hard for me to imagine it not making sense to others.

I will say, I never got the impression that Mayfield was a knucklehead... an a**, definitely, but he came across as smart to me... just totally full of himself.

It does seem to be a trend when it comes to the best QBs. It also speaks to the way Stoops runs his team. There's no way he doesn't know the personalities of his players, and not keeping a reign on the key to your team's success is just stupid... but we already knew that character isn't a priority for Stoops.

I, like you, can't understand how kids with this bright of future can't seem to stay out of trouble. However, I am now looking at life through a fifty something year old grandfather. There was a time when I was much younger, and full of pee, and vinegar, that I saw the world much differently. I can many times cut these kids a little slack if I remind myself what age young person we are talking about. I personally never did anything that I considered too bad at the time, but it was certainly plenty to get me arrested by today's law enforcement standards. Like the time I was at a certain young lady's trailer, and her ex boyfriend, and another guy decided that they were going to hook a chain to my car and tow it away. Three shots from my 357 magnum into the asphalt changed their mind. Cops came that night, and believe it or not, I didn't get arrested for that one either. Today that would have been front page news, and I would never get finished paying the lawyers fees. Not very smart on Baker's part for getting himself into trouble, but I am always aware of the fact that these are highly testosterone charged young men we are talking about. Most of these guys weren't given scholarships because they were pillars of their respective communities, but because they were elite athletes with a hardened edge to them.

43 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I, like you, can't understand how kids with this bright of future can't seem to stay out of trouble. However, I am now looking at life through a fifty something year old grandfather. There was a time when I was much younger, and full of pee, and vinegar, that I saw the world much differently. I can many times cut these kids a little slack if I remind myself what age young person we are talking about. I personally never did anything that I considered too bad at the time, but it was certainly plenty to get me arrested by today's law enforcement standards. Like the time I was at a certain young lady's trailer, and her ex boyfriend, and another guy decided that they were going to hook a chain to my car and tow it away. Three shots from my 357 magnum into the asphalt changed their mind. Cops came that night, and believe it or not, I didn't get arrested for that one either. Today that would have been front page news, and I would never get finished paying the lawyers fees. Not very smart on Baker's part for getting himself into trouble, but I am always aware of the fact that these are highly testosterone charged young men we are talking about. Most of these guys weren't given scholarships because they were pillars of their respective communities, but because they were elite athletes with a hardened edge to them.

I get you... I was never that guy, so it's hard for me to wrap my head around. I've always been more reserved, more calculating, and more controlled. I've always been one who thinks multiple steps ahead and assesses consequences before leaping. When I didn't feel in control, then I was always one to follow the rules for the soul reason that I didn't want to face the consequences. That's the #1 reason I didn't take up drinking in college, because I saw too many people do too many stupid things that they either didn't remember or didn't consciously decided to do because they had lost control of their senses. I'm a big fan of being in control of my own actions.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I get you... I was never that guy, so it's hard for me to wrap my head around. I've always been more reserved, more calculating, and more controlled. I've always been one who thinks multiple steps ahead and assesses consequences before leaping. When I didn't feel in control, then I was always one to follow the rules for the soul reason that I didn't want to face the consequences. That's the #1 reason I didn't take up drinking in college, because I saw too many people do too many stupid things that they either didn't remember or didn't consciously decided to do because they had lost control of their senses. I'm a big fan of being in control of my own actions.

Oh, where I might be now if I were more like that, lol. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Oh, where I might be now if I were more like that, lol. 

There are pluses and minuses, just like in everything else.  I will say, it doesn't make you Mr. Popular.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm a big fan of being in control of my own actions.

Interestingly enough, this and the desire that turns many people toward drinking come from the same vein. Many people turn to drugs, alcohol, food, sex, work, school or whatever outlet you can think of precisely because they feel so out of control in other areas of their lives. I know that's how I felt when I was younger. Parents get divorced, moving to different cities, no control over what's happening? Let me have a drink and some control over the way that I feel. 

This post isn't meant to excuse something like resisting arrest by any means, but let's not forget how controlled these players' lives are. Unlike most college students, their lives are heavily structured - and for good reason. But, I think a lot of kids get themselves into trouble because they experience so little control over their day-to-day lives that they end up over compensating in other areas. Some we don't read about, because they pour themselves completely into school or football, but there are consequences for those kids down the road too. 

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Interestingly enough, this and the desire that turns many people toward drinking come from the same vein. Many people turn to drugs, alcohol, food, sex, work, school or whatever outlet you can think of precisely because they feel so out of control in other areas of their lives. I know that's how I felt when I was younger. Parents get divorced, moving to different cities, no control over what's happening? Let me have a drink and some control over the way that I feel. 

This post isn't meant to excuse something like resisting arrest by any means, but let's not forget how controlled these players' lives are. Unlike most college students, their lives are heavily structured - and for good reason. But, I think a lot of kids get themselves into trouble because they experience so little control over their day-to-day lives that they end up over compensating in other areas. Some we don't read about, because they pour themselves completely into school or football, but there are consequences for those kids down the road too. 

Very astute analysis. I think that's the biggest value that Brother Chette brings to the team. Putting aside the religious nature of his position, he's someone the kids can just talk to and figure things out, so they don't need to turn to potentially destructive means of gaining a feeling of control.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Very astute analysis. I think that's the biggest value that Brother Chette brings to the team. Putting aside the religious nature of his position, he's someone the kids can just talk to and figure things out, so they don't need to turn to potentially destructive means of gaining a feeling of control.

There's no doubt, and I'm glad that things like "family" and "support" aren't just sales lines when it comes to our program. As great as many people on the outside want to think these kids have it, they also have an enormous amount of pressure and stress placed on them. Helping kids learn how to handle that stress in a healthy way is one of the best lessons any of them can learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Lion, you can't watch 'em 24/7.   We have our share of knuckleheads and some of them have been players who were valuable to our success.  

Coaching college athletes.....wonder how many times a year the phone rings at 2AM in the Malzahn home? 

On 2/27/2017 at 9:45 AM, aubiefifty said:

there is  a supposed video of baker getting body slammed but i am having puter issues so i could not get it to play. plus i have no idea how to post videos so i am hoping someone else will maybe post it? it was on the sec board of the rant. npt tryiong to give them advertisement but i would love to see the video and if it really is him.

Best I can do is reference a news clip with the dash-cam footage embedded. Click the link and push the play button.

They had him cornered.

http://newsok.com/article/5541302

Archived