AUFamily Golfers Welcome

Barnacle

Thought I might start a golf thread, since this forum is home to so many hobby threads - no offense to the craft beer crowd, who I'm sure may resent me for labeling them as hobbyists. :cheers:

I've been playing golf my entire life. Like many, my dad introduced me to the sport when I was a kid, and I've loved it ever since. Some of my best memories are on the golf course. To me, there is something special about the solitude and beauty of playing a round of golf on a beautiful course. I'm generally content to play a round by myself, but of course, I always enjoy a round with good friends. Someday, I'll enjoy being able to share my passion with my own kids.

I'm an average golfer. I typically play around an 18 handicap, mostly because I don't play enough. I'm hoping to bring it down to a 12-13 by the end of this summer, but we'll see if I'm able to dedicate enough time to do it. Golf can be cruel, but it can also be incredibly rewarding. 

I just purchased a new set of clubs yesterday. Actually, they are used, but new to me. Up until yesterday, I had still never purchased my own set of clubs. I've been playing with hand-me-downs from my dad since I was big enough to swing an adult set. The first of those were a set of Hogan Apex irons. True blades. Hard as hell to hit, but as sweet as anything I've ever hit when on the money. I'm moving out of my most recent set, some Titleist 704 CBs. At the end of the day, for my game, they were too hard for me too play consistently. I actually was planning on getting them some new shafts and grips, but decided to spend a couple extra hundred dollars for some used Mizunos. Landed on the JPX 850 forged irons, which are a lot more forgiving then what I was playing with. That, and the shaft/head combination has me carrying my 7-iron 192 yards in the air, which is just crazy compared to what I was hitting my old 7-iron. 

20170224_112629.jpg

Anyway, it's about that time of year, and I suspect there are a lot of golfers around here who share the same passion - looking at you @augolf1716. Feel free to chime in. 

Your hitting a 7 iron 192 I want to see a video for verification......j/k I had a set of Hogan Apex stiff shaft set at -1 flat on a good day I could maybe hit a 7 iron 170/180. Haven't been able to play since had both hips replaced. Been over 10  years and I do miss it. At one time I had over 8 sets of clubs and 60 putters. Still have all the putters and kept one set of clubs just to look at I guess. Oh I did keep most of my drivers also kept just about every score card at any new course I played well over 500 courses. I've been bless to have played a lot of great courses all over the US. 

Later on I may tell you a few golf story's 

35 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Your hitting a 7 iron 192 I want to see a video for verification......j/k I had a set of Hogan Apex stiff shaft set at -1 flat on a good day I could maybe hit a 7 iron 170/180. Haven't been able to play since had both hips replaced. Been over 10  years and I do miss it. At one time I had over 8 sets of clubs and 60 putters. Still have all the putters and kept one set of clubs just to look at I guess. Oh I did keep most of my drivers also kept just about every score card at any new course I played well over 500 courses. I've been bless to have played a lot of great courses all over the US. 

Later on I may tell you a few golf story's 

care to part with any of your putters? 

I'd love to hear some stories. 

• 1 month later...

Golf movies usually don't do well and I don't expect this one will either but it has a chance. You will enjoy it if your a golfer. It stays fairly close to the true story of Old Tom and Young Tom. Based on the award-winning eponymous book, the story centers on Old and Young Tom Morris, the legendary father-son Scottish duo that changed the face of golf in the late 19th century. If your not a golf historian like I think I am I will not give away the ending. Its being release this weekend in limited theaters. It actually has gotten good reviews. Here's hoping it does great.

Archived