2017 AU Women's Tennis

SCTiger2011

Congrats to Coach Spencer and the girls for winning the Blue-Gray Classic!  They beat #5 Texas Tech in the championship, the program's highest ranked win in school history!

Beat #16 UT

AUBURN, Ala. – No. 4 Auburn women’s tennis improved to 18-1 (2-0 SEC) with a 4-0 sweep over No. 16 Tennessee on Friday at Yarbrough Tennis Center.

“The last couple of years, we have struggled in doubles against Tennessee, so for us to come out and set the tone early was huge,” Auburn head coach women’s tennis said. “We started out a little slow in singles, but we are very resilient and pulled through. We have a lot of work to do to get ready for a tough Georgia team Sunday.”

The Tigers won the doubles point for the fifteenth time this season with wins on courts two and three. No. 38 Georgie Axon and Caroline Turner set the tone early with a dominant 6-0 victory over Kim Kermet and Ariadna Riley on court three.

No. 67 Andie Dikosavljevic and Alannah Griffin clinched the doubles point on court two, defeating Sadie Hammond and Gabby Schuck of Tennessee, 6-2. The duo is now 11-3 (2-0 SEC) on the season.

Roos van der Zwaan was first off the court in singles, defeating Tennessee’s Kermet 6-1, 6-1 on court six to improve to 11-4 (2-0 SEC) on the season. The junior is third on the team with eleven dual match victories.

“Roos went out there and took care of business, which gave us a ton of momentum,” said Spencer. “Her match was really important and got the rest of the team going.”

No. 29 Alizee Michaud picked up her eighth victory over a ranked opponent with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Tennessee’s No. 51 Brittany Lindl on court one. The junior leads the team and the SEC with 26 wins this season.

Playing on court two for only the third time this season, freshman Taylor Russo continued her strong start to the dual-match season with her twelfth-straight win, defeating Sadie Hammond 6-0, 7-6 (1).

The Tigers will return to action on Sunday for their fourth-straight match against a ranked opponent. Auburn will face off against No. 13 Georgia at 1 p.m. at Yarbrough Tennis Center and admission is free.

Thanks for the info.  I used to play lots of tennis and follow it closely but when it got where I could not pronounce the names of the best players I finally had to give the sport up. 

Afraid I would have the same problem with Auburn's tennis team...but I'm happy to see them reach this level of play and hoping they continue this run of good play. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

AU hosts the NCAA Regional Tennis Tournament this Friday against Big East Conference Champ DePaul. Winner plays Florida St. / Arizona St. winner on Saturday. AU selected as one of sixteen host sites in the field of 64. Match time Friday is 1:00PM.

AU beats FSU 4-2, advances to the program's second straight S16 in Athens, Georgia!  War Eagle Coach Spencer and ladies!

2 hours ago, texaswde said:

AU plays Sweet 16 NCAA Tournament match Friday @ 11:00AM Central time on Friday in Athens.

Who are they playing?

13 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Who are they playing?

It looks like we are #11 seed and will be playing #6 seed Texas Tech.

Trying to beat Tech for the second time this season.  Off to a good start by taking the doubles point.  Tigers lead 1-0 going to singles.

Archived