Offensive look?

corchjay

Before spring practice starts does anyone else want to give a guess what they think the offense will look like going into next season.  

Here is my best "guesses"...

I feel pretty confident we will see about a 50/50 split on TE sets and HB/FB sets.  So probably some 1 back and 4 wide.  I could see that benefiting KJ and the zone read and stretch play.  I could see Cox playing some 1 back as well.  You will probably see an unbalanced line with empty also a few times a game.

I expect to see bubble screens to come back into the game plans again with different blocking used especially with the big TE.  

Even tho Stidham is mobile I don't expect much zone read if he is QB1, I think the one read will move to a zone read/RPO.  Ryan Davis will excel in that role.  He is also the front runner for me for breakout player of the year.

When we go 2 back sets I expect the run game to look like it has the past few years.  

Overall I expect more passing in general and in my mind I see an offense similar to Ole Miss but with a power run game to go along with it. 

3rd down conversion is the key in my opinion and I hope we keep that hard nosed running game mentality when its 3rd and 3 or less.  When you are able to churn out first downs running the ball it's huge.

Anyone else want to venture a guess?

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

Before spring practice starts does anyone else want to give a guess what they think the offense will look like going into next season.  

Here is my best "guesses"...

I feel pretty confident we will see about a 50/50 split on TE sets and HB/FB sets.  So probably some 1 back and 4 wide.  I could see that benefiting KJ and the zone read and stretch play.  I could see Cox playing some 1 back as well.  You will probably see an unbalanced line with empty also a few times a game.

I expect to see bubble screens to come back into the game plans again with different blocking used especially with the big TE.  

Even tho Stidham is mobile I don't expect much zone read if he is QB1, I think the one read will move to a zone read/RPO.  Ryan Davis will excel in that role.  He is also the front runner for me for breakout player of the year.

When we go 2 back sets I expect the run game to look like it has the past few years.  

Overall I expect more passing in general and in my mind I see an offense similar to Ole Miss but with a power run game to go along with it. 

3rd down conversion is the key in my opinion and I hope we keep that hard nosed running game mentality when its 3rd and 3 or less.  When you are able to churn out first downs running the ball it's huge.

Anyone else want to venture a guess?

That sounds good to me corch!

I would love to see us have Ole Miss's passing game paired with our power run game!

CCL sent a clear message he wants to use the TE more. Bubble Screens and Intermediate Passing will be a welcome addition. 

3rd Down production is obviously very important. 1st Down production is at least as important IMHO.  I want to see a lot more balance and creativity on 1st Down. 

I'm just in the wait and see what the O will look like camp because I really have know idea what it will be,but I'm not a fan of the bubble screen until we block and run it better than we have in the past.

I could see a lot of 10, 11,and 12 as well as 21 and 22.  I can even see us going empty a few times a game.  I see us using the RB in the passing game much more, even if just the check down.  

As much as people clamor about JS being dual threat, he is a passer that can run if needed. So in the run game, I don't see a lot of ZR but a lot of inside zone with a RPO. Also I can see the buck and power being a staple.  I would like us to run some inside trap against the aggressive DTs in our league as well.

In the passing game, with the addition of Cannoli, I see us exploiting the MOF a lot more. Even if not targeted, the presence will slow down any flow to the outside by the LBs. I also expect to see routes that stress the communication between the corner/safety. Also, I can see us using more 3-step routes utilizing our receivers size, similar to what Clemson did against Bama. I also look for KJ to become our Percy in the slot at some point. He's too much of a threat not to be on the field. We have too many options at WR for me to make a guess on who will do what, but I'm excited at the possibilities.

After rereading this, I realize I pretty much said the same thing as Corch.

55 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I could see a lot of 10, 11,and 12 as well as 21 and 22.  I can even see us going empty a few times a game.  I see us using the RB in the passing game much more, even if just the check down.  

As much as people clamor about JS being dual threat, he is a passer that can run if needed. So in the run game, I don't see a lot of ZR but a lot of inside zone with a RPO. Also I can see the buck and power being a staple.  I would like us to run some inside trap against the aggressive DTs in our league as well.

In the passing game, with the addition of Cannoli, I see us exploiting the MOF a lot more. Even if not targeted, the presence will slow down any flow to the outside by the LBs. I also expect to see routes that stress the communication between the corner/safety. Also, I can see us using more 3-step routes utilizing our receivers size, similar to what Clemson did against Bama. I also look for KJ to become our Percy in the slot at some point. He's too much of a threat not to be on the field. We have too many options at WR for me to make a guess on who will do what, but I'm excited at the possibilities.

After rereading this, I realize I pretty much said the same thing as Corch.

I always heard the saying... "great minds think alike"

The tight ends we have or we need,,,,I hope are able to split out and still be a threat. Or motion in the backfield as a fb or blocker. We need versatility. That's why I like the Italian dude. 

2 hours ago, alexava said:

The tight ends we have or we need,,,,I hope are able to split out and still be a threat. Or motion in the backfield as a fb or blocker. We need versatility. That's why I like the Italian dude. 

Sal Palentonio, TE extraordinaire...

KJ might finish with more receiving yards than rushing yards and I think that could actually be ok. 

44 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

@bigbird 

I could see a lot of 10, 11,and 12 as well as 21 and 22. 

For the unwashed among us, what the heck does this mean?

Sorry.

When numbering personnel packages, you have 5 eligible receivers. The 1st number is the # of RB, the 2nd is the # of TE, and the difference is the # of receivers.

So,

10 personnel would be 1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR

11 would be 1 RB, 1TE, 3 WR

12 would be 1 RB, 2 TE, 2WR

20 personnel would be 2 RB, 0 TE, 3 WR

21 would be 2 RB, 1 TE, 2 WR

22 would be 2 RB, 2TE, 1WR

00 would be 0 RB, 0 TE, 5 WR

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Sorry.

When numbering personnel packages, you have 5 eligible receivers. The 1st number is the # of RB, the 2nd is the # of TE, and the difference is the # of receivers.

So,

copy and paste again 

Personally, I think this year continues the trend of hired coordinators that end the head coach's tenure at AU. I've tried to be optimistic, but I think this hire is up there with Franklin and Loefler. JMHO. 

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Sorry.

So,

What about 32?

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

Sorry.

So,

I thought those were players numbers. 10?, 11 Kyle Davis, 12 Stove, 21 Kerryon, 22?

Thanks for clearing that up.

16 hours ago, CCslim said:

I truly hope CCL can mesh his pass offense as with our run offense.  Whole sale change isn't needed. The running part worked, the passing didnt

The good news is, he already has. His offense was already a hybrid between the Air Raid and Gus's HUHN downfield running game before we even hired him.

18 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

Personally, I think this year continues the trend of hired coordinators that end the head coach's tenure at AU. I've tried to be optimistic, but I think this hire is up there with Franklin and Loefler. JMHO. 

Here's your umbrella... watch for lightning, that cloud looks dark.

I hope every thread this year doesn't turn into fire the staff, bench the QB, and pissing matches.  Differing opinions are great.  But the constant interjection of things people have no clue of just clutters the threads intended to be knowledgeable and informative.

55 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I hope every thread this year doesn't turn into fire the staff, bench the QB, and pissing matches.  Differing opinions are great.  But the constant interjection of things people have no clue of just clutters the threads intended to be knowledgeable and informative.

Winning cures all. Losing causes madness. This is the way it works within every sports fan base of every team.

Archived