Softball vs, James Madison (sun) - Game thread

WarTiger

Hard grounder to Veach at 2nd and its off her glove, McCrackin covering gets the ball fires to 1st in time to get the out.  2 outs.

Martin sets them down in order.  Auburn bats need to wake up and get a couple of runs here.   Top of the order due up for Auburn:  Wallace, Cooper and Fagan.

Greenwood with a nice diving catch in right to end the top 7th.  Auburn coming up.  Last chance for Auburn to plate at least a run to keep the game going.   Shea, Veach and Jordan due up for Auburn.

Shea draws a walk to lead off the bottom 7th.   Bree Fornis in to pinch run for Shea.  Kendall Veach up.    Let's go AUBURN. 

2 losses by a combined 2 runs to 2 of the best pitchers in the game. I can live with that.

Just couldn't solve Megan Good.  Congratulations to her on a stellar performance.  We had not been shut out since April 17, 2015 - scored in 106 consecutive games.  Or, as the TV announcer might say, 106 consecutive games in a row.

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

2 losses by a combined 2 runs to 2 of the best pitchers in the game. I can live with that.

The hitting has been better since the start of the season, but we've really struggled against the two best pitchers we've seen all year. It's good to see a pitcher like Good early in the season, but there is work to be done with this lineup. I assume things would've been done differently had this been a late season or regional game. I would think the approach with several hitters would've adjusted significantly had this been a significant game. 

According to Coach himself on the website, we aren't hitting like we need to.  That isn't a big surprise, considering we graduated Howard, Carosone, and Rhodes.  New players (Veach, Greenwood, Rivera) who have played regularly have shown promise, but aren't ready to perform to the level of the aforementioned graduates.  A couple of starters aren't hitting anywhere near what they did last year.  I'm encouraged by the performances of Shea, Draper and Fagan, who are doing as well or better than they did last year.  I have confidence in Coaches Myers and the players, and expect we will see outstanding results overall; but I doubt we will achieve the run production we did last year.

Boomstick, I'm curious as to what you mean by doing things differently or adjusting the approach of hitters.  

6 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

According to Coach himself on the website, we aren't hitting like we need to.  That isn't a big surprise, considering we graduated Howard, Carosone, and Rhodes.  New players (Veach, Greenwood, Rivera) who have played regularly have shown promise, but aren't ready to perform to the level of the aforementioned graduates.  A couple of starters aren't hitting anywhere near what they did last year.  I'm encouraged by the performances of Shea, Draper and Fagan, who are doing as well or better than they did last year.  I have confidence in Coaches Myers and the players, and expect we will see outstanding results overall; but I doubt we will achieve the run production we did last year.

Boomstick, I'm curious as to what you mean by doing things differently or adjusting the approach of hitters.  

I'll use yesterday as an example. In the bottom of the seventh, because it was early in the season, I feel like they let Veach swing away with a runner on second and nobody out. It was a great opportunity for her to get experience in a pressured situation. I know she's a good power hitter, but she, along with everyone else had struggled to come close to squaring a ball up. Later in the season, say in the SECT in a similar situation, I think we see a bunt there to get the runner to third with one out. I think that was an adjustment that could've been made earlier in the game with a few hitters if the game mattered. I also think we might see a little different lineup in the future against a great rise ball pitcher like her. And because Good was throwing strikes, we looked to be more aggressive early in counts, which isn't really our style. So, that was an adjustment we made that didn't really work in our favor.

I think they used this game as a fact finding game. I'm certain they wanted to win it, but it felt like they wanted to win it a certain way rather than by any means necessary, which is understandable and reasonable this early in the season. A loss in this game didn't matter much at all.

I know expectations for this team are very high this year. I do not feal a lose here or there is a bad thing.  Also falling behind a few times and having to fight back. It can keep a team grounded and humble. This will prove invaluable for later in the season. Rankings right now are great but don't win you anything. I would much rather see coach get young players experience and work out line up issues now, rather than later. We will be just fine. 

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Thanks for clarifying.  No doubt Coach uses game situations as teaching laboratories.

Yeah, especially in these early OOC games against good opponents. You can see that this team has improved its hitting though since the first weekend. Still have some work to do though. 

Archived