2018 4* WR Matthew Hill commits to AU!!!!

ellitor

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Two guys, just in his class, are gonna be much better safeties than him.

Problem is, those 2 make up 67% of our safeties.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Is there a reason why we can’t say he will get an opportunity at both spots, and whichever one he does better at he will stick to?

Just now, abw0004 said:

Is there a reason why we can’t say he will get an opportunity at both spots, and whichever one he does better at he will stick to?

he is a WR. All this safety talk is all dabo working his recruiting magic. If we pitched safety he would just find another way to justify flirting more with clemson.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

he is a WR. All this safety talk is all dabo working his recruiting magic. If we pitched safety he would just find another way to justify flirting more with clemson.

It can’t hurt though.  It’s like when we told Jason Smith he would get a legitimate shot at quarterback.  There is no harm in it.  If it doesn’t work out then we just go back to plan A.  But in this scenario we retain him a commit. 

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It can’t hurt though.  It’s like when we told Jason Smith he would get a legitimate shot at quarterback.  There is no harm in it.  If it doesn’t work out then we just go back to plan A.  But in this scenario we retain him a commit. 

I think he just wants to go to clemson and is using the safety thing as a excuse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

So he wants to be a safety? I figured he wanted to be the latest great WR for Clemson.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So he wants to be a safety? I figured he wanted to be the latest great WR for Clemson.

clemson is recruiting him as a safety only. They are recruiting justyn ross as a WR. Dabo is getting who he wants most of the time these days when he prioritizes you so I bet he gets both.

55 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Yes. We have 3 or 4 safeties signed/committed already so we want Hill as a WR.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yes. We have 3 or 4 safeties signed/committed already so we want Hill as a WR.

Who? Smoke... Sherwood...???

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Who? Smoke... Sherwood...???

I think he's including Fuqua, and some consider Marsh to be a safety, just like they considered Atkinson to be a safety before he was made a LB the minute he walked into AU's first practice.

Edited by Mikey

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I think he's including Fuqua, and some consider Marsh to be a safety, just like they considered Atkinson to be a safety before he was made a LB the minute he walked into AU's first practice.

Good analogy with Atkinson. I'm not counting Fuqua as of now.

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm not counting Fuqua as of now.

I am. He's still committed which is why I included commits in my OP & I think the staff will stick with him even if he signs next December.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I am. He's still committed which is why I included commits in my OP & I think the staff will stick with him even if he signs next December.

If he signs next December, he is no good to us on the field this year. 

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If he signs next December, he is no good to us on the field this year. 

True but the discussion didn't specify year.;D

Honestly I think MH just wants to play for a big time winner. Right now I can't blame him if he chooses Clemson over us.

Edited by ellitor

UA All-America Game: Tuesday's takeaways

4. Matthew Hill

Hill is another player who has improved as the week has progressed. He has become one of the more reliable receivers on Team Spotlight, while also taking on a new role. Along with running routes at receiver, due to the limited options on the team at running back, he has seen more plays coming out of the backfield. Hill’s versatility, speed and hands make him a dangerous weapon.

While I would love to get Ross as long as we keep Hill I would still be very happy and if we add Schwartz I would be ecstatic.

• Like 1

Matthew Hill must decide whether he wants to play offense or defense

One thing is certain: Matthew Hill will be a Tiger.

Now, the question lingers: Which one?

Hill, Auburn wide receiver commit, wrapped up a standout Under Armour All-America Game week and will now turn his full attention to recruiting in January. He has been committed to Auburn since the last week of the summer and has never come close to backing off that stance.

As it currently stands, this is how Hill describes his Auburn commitment:

RELATED: 2018 Auburn recruiting big board

“I’d say it’s pretty strong. Clemson’s going to have to show me a lot of things. And I’d really have to see how I fit into the defense to make me flip. The commitment is pretty strong,” Hill said this week. “Those are the only two schools [Auburn and Clemson] I’m really considering.”

Here are the options laid before Hill:

Auburn wants him as a wide receiver. The Tigers want him to join a group of Anthony Schwartz, Seth Williams and Shedrick Jackson. Clemson likes Hill as a safety, which he is fully capable of playing at a high level in college. Auburn hasn’t had many conversations with Hill about playing safety, but it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out if this becomes an offense-versus-defense decision.

That could be where it’s headed.

Auburn recruiting-matthew hill
Matthew Hill didn’t sign with Auburn during the early signing period. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

“At Clemson, I know I fit into the culture. At Clemson, it’s just like the school I play for now at Brookwood. They’re all about family. They love each other. I feel like I fit in with Clemson regardless,” Hill said. “It’s just I need to figure out if I want to play offense or defense.”

Hill visited Clemson for two games during the 2017 season. That’s the same number of times he went to games in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Coming into the season, the main edge Clemson held was its championship pedigree. But Hill thinks Auburn made major strides this season that he feels will lay a foundation for years to come.

“I also want to go to a school that’s going to play for national championships and just play for championships in general,” Hill said. “Auburn’s coming up there. The defense has been outstanding. But Auburn’s really changed the program around the last couple years. They came from the bottom to the top. They beat two No. 1 teams in one year. That’s a lot to think about.”

For now, multiple sources around this recruitment remain confident Hill sticks with Auburn. In fact, confidence has grown throughout this week as Hill has spent time with Auburn signees/commits Schwartz, Joey Gatewood and Quindarious Monday, who have made him feel much more comfortable about his commitment.

Still, Hill had enough doubts prior to the early signing period to prevent him from signing — despite Auburn’s wishes.

“They wanted me to sign, but I kept telling them I wanted to enjoy the last few weeks of the recruitment process,” Hill said. “Just take my official visits and finish it out. That signing period was when we were in the playoffs, so I wasn’t thinking about that.”

Hill hasn’t set specific dates yet, but he plans to go to Auburn and Clemson in January. He expects he’ll shut down his recruitment once and for all soon after those trips.

Hill was very, very good in the UA game. On the field, he was multitalented, catching passes and returning punts. He sure looked like WR is the right position for him. Hope he sticks!

Just saw a highlight of Hill at the all star game. Gatewood tries to hit him in the end zone from about midfield. Hill gets tackled before the ball gets there and it's intercepted. Hill gets up, chases down the DB with the balls, strips the ball and recovers it. Pretty impressive in an all-star game. 

Pretty impressive throw on Gatewood's part. Wasn't a *good* throw and the mechanics were terrible, but dude basically throws a 50 yard arm punt with 5 seconds of hang time (it felt like) running a bit to his left and right off a funny little skip step. I'll try to post it here later if nobody else does. 

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Maybe he wants to see what Stidham is going to do.  Or maybe he just wants to wait until Feb to see how recruiting and possible coaching changes might effect his schools of choice. Or maybe he just likes the added attention for another month.  Obviously the early signing period hasn't taken all the drama out of recruiting.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Just saw a highlight of Hill at the all star game. Gatewood tries to hit him in the end zone from about midfield. Hill gets tackled before the ball gets there and it's intercepted. Hill gets up, chases down the DB with the balls, strips the ball and recovers it. Pretty impressive in an all-star game. 

He looks the part of a good safety. So did Kerryon. Some players are just ballers that can play, regardless of which side of the ball they are on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, tinman said:

Any new of Hill's visit & likely outcome come signing day?

No. He didn't do interviews. The only nuggets we got was from Michael Harris who said the 2 plan to room together at AU & are going to start training together soon since they live near each other now.