2018 4* WR Matthew Hill commits to AU!!!!

ellitor

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

I am most glad he is on board along with the rest of this class. I do hope that there is a surprise or 2 come Wednesday. Next year, I hope we have nearly all recruits signed in December so that we can sit back and not worry about much of anything come NSD. 

Yes. He is a great player. He made the AJC Top 15 in Georgia. That is quite an honor. I think he will be one of the most important kids in this class.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Next year, I hope we have nearly all recruits signed in December so that we can sit back and not worry about much of anything come NSD. 

Unlikely. Everybody will still have a few spots open at least.

Auburn WR commit Matthew Hill has final decision in mind

At the very least, Matthew Hill is keeping Auburn fans on the edge of their seats.

The 4-star wide receiver from Brookwood High School in Snellville, Ga., isn’t confirming one way or another what he’ll do on National Signing Day.

There’s a fairly good idea, however, given how Hill spent the final weekend of his recruitment. He hosted Gus Malzahn on an in-home visit Friday night. He spent Saturday at Auburn, hanging out with coaches and players until late in the night at the athletic complex and at the basketball game.

Still, he wouldn’t say definitively what will happen when he signs his college paperwork Wednesday during a 2:30 p.m. ET ceremony at his high school.

“I guess we’ll just have to find out, huh,” Hill said. “There is mystery in the air. There is something in the air. … I haven’t really kept it to the media, so I wasn’t really going to release it to the media yet. Just keeping it low-key.”

That commentary won’t ease many nerves. Let’s see if this helps: Hill was asked two follow-up questions after his shaky response to his Wednesday plans.

The first: Have you already made up your mind?

“I have,” he said.

The second: Do you feel good about your commitment?

“I do,” he said.

Here’s how I read all of this.

Hill has never been a big talker to reporters. He’s been gracious enough to allow interviews at times, including Saturday following his trip to Auburn, but he’s not a big fan of media members revealing the specifics of his recruitment. When he spoke Saturday, Hill didn’t want to ruin any last-minute excitement surrounding his recruitment, and he didn’t want an article to be the way one of the staffs recruiting him — most likely Clemson — learned of his final choice.

It would come as a major surprise for Hill, a prospect I always felt would stick with Auburn, to flip his commitment on National Signing Day after taking such a casual, unplanned visit to The Plains so close to signing.

I fear Dabo is “planting” him, if you get what I’m saying. Really hate it when recruits do this. You still feeling good E?

42 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I fear Dabo is “planting” him, if you get what I’m saying. Really hate it when recruits do this. You still feeling good E?

Yes. He's just playing the suspence game.

And that is why it is SO CRUCIAL for guys to go public with their commitments. I truly believe if he had not been a public AU commit he would of gone to clemson. Big time save and hold for kodi.

• Like 1

Hopefully, Hill can contribute on special teams and give us some options as a return guy. Auburn definitely needs somebody to return punts.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Why not keep Hill at receiver and move Jackson to safety. Jackson is built and is on campus now.

With Fuqua on board there is no need to move either.  Plus Hill is much more fluid then Jackson is.  Jackson has high skills but has also been very well coached at the high school level.  

I would be willing to bet that we will have the best class of receivers in the SEC for 2018 and in the top 5 nationally. I love the speed of this class and the play makers we have brought on board. This class is going to go down as the fastest class Gus has signed the past 6 seasons.

4 hours ago, AidiAU said:

HEY @GwillMac6 he finally posted on Twitter. ? 

GREAT! I cannot wait for it to pay off and him to recruit for us in the THIRD national signing day of this cycle!!! when is that again?! haha

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2018 at 7:45 AM, aufan57 said:

Hopefully, Hill can contribute on special teams and give us some options as a return guy. Auburn definitely needs somebody to return punts.

Bet Shaun will be there for punts and kickoffs.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Bet Shaun will be there for punts and kickoffs.

Hard not to put our 100 meter God like sprinter as return man. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

Hard not to put our 100 meter God like sprinter as return man. 

That would make too much sense.  I bet he will not be used as a returner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

That would make too much sense.  I bet he will not be used as a returner.

Yeah, right. That's why track-man Igbinoghene wasn't used as a returner this past season! Oh, wait.........he was. :thumbsdown:

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Yeah, right. That's why track-man Igbinoghene wasn't used as a returner this past season! Oh, wait.........he was. :thumbsdown:

Iggy would have an open path for more yards and would seek out contact and be brought down every time. Why though? He baffled me on some of his returns...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I watched Truitt run at state in the 100 and the dude was extremely fast and built like a beast for his size but Gus never stuck him back there.  Tell me all of our fastest players that Gus has stuck back there.  Better yet if you take the teams fastest players in Gus' tenure I'll give you ten dollars for every one that returned kicks and punts and you give me 10 for those that did not. Tre Mason, and KJ were not our fastest players.  Nor was Roberts.  J. Davis, Stove, Slayton and a slew of others were.  Iggy is the first speed guy we have had back there since Tim Carter and like Zeek said, Iggy would find a defender or a pile and run to it as fast as possible.  I'm not saying I blame him.  Kick returns are not for the faint of heart.  Many teams use a punt returner or kick returner as a weapon.  Opposing teams fear them.  Gus has trust issues at the position and fears a turnover more than he values field position or a threat.  It's just one of the biggest reasons we need a ST coach not named Gus.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Corey Grant was used on kick-off returns.

He definitely was a speed guy. 

Yes he was.  He even took one to the house against UT.  I think he ranks around tenth in kick return yardage for Auburn.  Why did we go from 2014 to this year without a speed guy back there.

Edited by NorthGATiger