2018 4* WR Matthew Hill commits to AU!!!!

ellitor

18 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

SCAR making things really interesting. 

I wouldn't say that yet. He was expected to be committed to us before the summer was out and I still expect that. Even if he waits he will dign with AU.  Had he made the cookout today he would have committed imo. USC East and bama have him thinking but kid is a lifelong Auburn fan. South Carolina has him thinking with the play early aspect and he has family that likes South Carolina I believe.  

18 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I wouldn't say that yet. He was expected to be committed to us before the summer was out and I still expect that. Even if he waits he will dign with AU.  Had he made the cookout today he would have committed imo. USC East and bama have him thinking but kid is a lifelong Auburn fan. South Carolina has him thinking with the play early aspect and he has family that likes South Carolina I believe.  

Was at SCAR yesterday and then couldn't make the cookout today. Still think he lands in our class, but something to watch nonetheless.

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Was at SCAR yesterday and then couldn't make the cookout today. Still think he lands in our class, but something to watch nonetheless.

I know that's why I said had he made the cookout today he would have committed. A drive from USC East to Auburn is not a fun or easy drive. USC East has def put up a fight. He would have committed today if he would have come imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, austudnt23 said:

I know that's why I said had he made the cookout today he would have committed. A drive from USC East to Auburn is not a fun or easy drive. USC East has def put up a fight. He would have committed today if he would have come imo. 

Agree 

• 3 weeks later...

4-star WR target Matthew Hill sets decision time frame, top 3 schools

Welcome to SEC Country’s daily Auburn Tigers football recruiting notebook with Auburn recruiting beat writer Benjamin Wolk. It’s Wednesday, and we look at the upcoming decisions for Matthew HillAzeez Ojulari and Kearis Jackson.

Auburn WR target sets announcement time frame

SNELLVILLE, Ga. — It has been relatively quiet for Matthew Hill since he released his top 5 of Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU and South Carolina.

The 4-star wide receiver from Brookwood High (Ga.) did that in May. His last three months haven’t been loaded with visits to schools, trying to find his best fit and destination. Instead, Hill has spent most of his time communicating with college coaches in an attempt to remove a few of his top schools to make the process easier.

He’s managed to whittle it down to three: Alabama, Auburn and South Carolina.

DSC_0938_d6pojo.jpg
4-star WR Matthew Hill has narrowed his options to three schools. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

“I only got official offers from those three, so those are my top 3 after my top 5,” Hill told SEC Country. “So those are the only three schools I’m really considering right now.”

Those are the three schools I’ve been writing about most over the last couple weeks as Hill’s recruitment has dragged out longer than anticipated, but he confirmed it.

Hill went to Alabama for a few days over spring break. He went to Auburn for Big Cat Weekend. He was at South Carolina most recently with his head coach in high school who happens to be a Gamecocks alumnus.

He’s closing in on a final decision.

“Within the next two or three weeks, maybe even before then,” Hill said.

Auburn, the school Hill grew up supporting, has seemed like the favorite to land Hill (100 percent of Crystal Ball picks). But the wait has left people scratching their heads. Alabama and South Carolina have stayed in the picture, which — based on responses from my articles and podcast appearances — has Auburn fans fretting a bit.

Why the wait? Due diligence, Hill says.

“I’m basically just making sure I’m not making the wrong decision,” Hill said. “It’s me sitting down with my family and talking to them about it. I want to make sure this is the right choice because it’s a life thing. You’re going to get a degree from the school, so you need to take your time with it. Yes, football is involved, but I wanted to make sure [about] the coaches, academics, the atmosphere.”

Here is what Hill has to say about the other two programs competing with Auburn.

• Alabama: “Just the coaching staff. It’s Nick Saban. He’s only the greatest coach in history. Other than that, it’s really all the coaches. I know I’m going to get developed. Hopefully I make it to the next level in the NFL, and I’d already be developed and trained to get in as a rookie and play. The facilities are really nice. What they were telling me is they spend more money on their players facilities-wise than every other program in the country. They know how to, of course, keep their players healthy and entertained.”
  • South Carolina: “I like the coaching staff and atmosphere. I went there most recently with my coach who went to South Carolina. I just have a strong connection with a lot of the staff and like the environment around the school.”

He draws many similarities between his final three choices.

“At all three schools, there’s nothing individually that stands out about any of the three schools because they’re all similar in their own different ways. But when I make this decision, it’s basically going to be off the heart and mind from really thinking about it,” Hill said. “Out of my top three schools, I know for a fact that I can’t go wrong.”

Auburn wide receiver target Matthew Hill expects to announce ‘sometime this week’

ATLANTA — Matthew Hill’s recruiting process has dragged on longer than expected. He’s about to put an end to that.

Hill’s high school season begins Saturday, and he wants to have his college publicly announced before then. The next time the 4-star wide receiver steps onto a football field, there’s a chance he’ll have the title of Auburn football commit.

“Probably sometime this week. I’m just going to post a statement on Twitter,” Hill said at the Corky Kell Luncheon in Atlanta. “Definitely before the Corky Kell game (on Saturday). I’ve told my coaches where I’m going. It’s a lot of stress off me.”

RELATED: Matthew Hill breaks down the three schools he’s considering

Hill has been viewed as an Auburn lean for a while, but Alabama and South Carolina have both done their parts to make him do his due diligence. In fact, his last recruiting visit was more than a month ago to Columbia, S.C., with his Brookwood High School (Ga.) head coach who is a South Carolina graduate.

DSC_0938_d6pojo.jpg
4-star WR Matthew Hill has narrowed his options to three schools. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Despite saying he was close at Big Cat Weekend in June, Hill has played it patient. But his patience is running out.

“I’ve just been waiting on it. The decision was basically made off of my heart because I can’t go wrong with any of the three schools,” Hill said. “My heart finally just said, ‘OK, I want to go to this school.’ I’m going to give the school a call sometime this week and post it out there.”

It has been two months since Hill stepped foot on the Plains. That might worry the diehard Auburn fans prone to recruiting meltdowns. The interest from Alabama and South Carolina has forced Auburn to stay diligent in its pursuit of Hill.

One thing Hill said Wednesday that should keep the Auburn side relaxed, however: This decision isn’t a new one.

Hill said he’s had this feeling for a while now.

“It was probably about a month and a half or two months ago. Somewhere around that time,” Hill said. “Wherever I go, I want it to feel like home. And of course, playing time played a factor.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

“It was probably about a month and a half or two months ago. Somewhere around that time,” Hill said. “Wherever I go, I want it to feel like home. And of course, playing time played a factor.”

I am a little curious about this.  If I am not mistaking we only had 1 SR WR this year and he is now transfered.  So how much playing time will there really be next year at the WR position?  Don't get me wrong.  I really like this kid and he seems like a great WR.  I just don't understand where "playing time" can be expected in our WR rotation right now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I am a little curious about this.  If I am not mistaking we only had 1 SR WR this year and he is now transfered.  So how much playing time will there really be next year at the WR position?  Don't get me wrong.  I really like this kid and he seems like a great WR.  I just don't understand where "playing time" can be expected in our WR rotation right now.

Maybe the fact that AU has shown to be  willing to play frosh wideouts:dunno:

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

Next year? Virtually nil.

There will be room for him in the rotation the year after, though, and then he and the other guys in this class will own the rotation. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There will be room for him in the rotation the year after, though, and then he and the other guys in this class will own the rotation. 

Yeah, I was thinking next year would be pretty limited playing time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is probably true, but receiver is one of those unique positions that allows for kids to come in and play early. He'll have an uphill battle in learning the offense and the small things that he'll be asked to do. But talent is talent. I guess that's why you said virtually nil. 

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This is probably true, but receiver is one of those unique positions that allows for kids to come in and play early. He'll have an uphill battle in learning the offense and the small things that he'll be asked to do. But talent is talent. I guess that's why you said virtually nil. 

Gus is also one of the most unique coaches who values seniority over young talent like no other. If I had to see Tony Stevens and Marcus Davis drop 1 more pass in a important sequence in the game 1 more time................. ughhhhhh

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Definitely heavy emphasis on the word "virtually".

I just really think what Hill sees is a brief log jam that opens up big time after next year. Whitlow has moved to RB, I think. McClain is a big-bodied guy that Hill probably wouldn't be competing with for the same spot. Stove and Iggy are probably in that speedy KR/gadget guy silo. We're not keeping both KD and NCM past next year, and we might not keep either. Heck, we might not hang onto Slayton. Hill probably doesn't feel like he's going to have to be fighting Shed Jackson off for a spot. "Normal attrition"- grades, transfer, conduct, etc.- is going to claim somebody. 

There's going to be room for him in the rotation in 2019. In 2020, this class will own it. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Definitely heavy emphasis on the word "virtually".

I just really think what Hill sees is a brief log jam that opens up big time after next year. Whitlow has moved to RB, I think. McClain is a big-bodied guy that Hill probably wouldn't be competing with for the same spot. Stove and Iggy are probably in that speedy KR/gadget guy silo. We're not keeping both KD and NCM past next year, and we might not keep either. Heck, we might not hang onto Slayton. Hill probably doesn't feel like he's going to have to be fighting Shed Jackson off for a spot. "Normal attrition"- grades, transfer, conduct, etc.- is going to claim somebody. 

There's going to be room for him in the rotation in 2019. In 2020, this class will own it. 

You right. You right. 

Wonder about who will leave and who will stay. KD seems the most likely out of all of them to leave should he have a monster season. Some stud receivers in this draft class. I'm thinking we will see Stidham spread the love, though. 

I'd give all three of those guys returning the same odds as any one of them leaving. 

Edited by Barnacle

19 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

You right. You right. 

Wonder about who will leave and who will stay. KD seems the most likely out of all of them to leave should he have a monster season. Some stud receivers in this draft class. I'm thinking we will see Stidham spread the love, though. 

I'd give all three of those guys returning the same odds as any one of them leaving. 

I often fail to consider the entire landscape when talking about players leaving early. Excellent point. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I often fail to consider the entire landscape when talking about players leaving early. Excellent point. 

That isn't to say that our players don't have the same amount of talent...maybe just not the track record? Either way, I don't care. Whatever I need to do to talk myself into believing that everyone is coming back, I'm going to do it. 

• Haha 1

We need a little momentum in recruiting during month before season starts! I would love to get a couple this month. Receiver position is something we need to fill for 2018!