It hasn’t taken former Navarre High lineman Nick Brahms long to find his place at Auburn, broken fibula and all.

Between microeconomics, business law and music appreciation, Brahms — an early enrollee with the Tigers’ Top 10 2017 recruiting class — has had to find other avenues in his new home while recovering from an injury he suffered during a Navarre practice last August.

But while those traditional freshman courses are their own experience, the 6-foot-4, 285-pound Brahms is carving out his own space in the cockpits of Auburn’s aviation program.

“The first airplane lesson was a little walkthrough in the airport to show me how it all worked,” Brahms said at the All Sports Association Banquet on Feb. 10 in Destin. “Literally the next lesson I’m in the plane flying. It was crazy.”

The son of a professional pilot, Brahms has understandably always had an interest in following in the footsteps of his father, Keith.

But while ground school represents his first steps toward a pilot’s license, Brahms is currently rounding into the final stages of his recovery as the Tigers’ spring practice begins Tuesday.

Rehab has been the cornerstone of Brahms’ first months at Auburn. His classes, team meetings and social activities are scheduled around daily rehab sessions at 6 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Much of his early recovery was completed at the renowned Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze last fall, but Brahms said there hasn’t been a dropoff in quality at Auburn.

“I honestly think it’s better. They don’t have more resources than Andrews (Institute). I mean they’re ridiculous,” Brahms said. “But they definitely get the job done.”

Though Brahms’ recovery has been slow and steady, the situation around Brahms has changed immensely.

Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee split for the same position at UCONN in early January, an abrupt departure for someone who had been with Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn since his high school playing days.

Then, in early February, special teams and tight ends coach Scott Fountain was relieved of duties. Fountain also served as one of the Tigers’ top recruiters.

The changes have been unexpected — Brahms said he learned of Lashlee’s departure the way most others did: a cell phone alert — but they haven’t dampened Brahms’ optimism.

New offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey made a good impression in early meetings and Brahms’ relationship with offensive line coach Herb Hand — who cooked over 250 pounds of barbecue and brisket for Brahms and his fellow linemen during the Tigers’ O-Line BBQ weekend — remains strong.

And with talented transfer Jarrett Stidham the leading quarterback candidate on a talented roster, Brahms said the Tigers could be the real deal in 2017.

“I don’t know how that quarterback battle is going to go with Woody (Barrett),” Brahms said. “His redshirt is up and he seems like a stud too so I don’t know.”

As for Brahms’ future, the answers are a bit less clear.

The priority remains getting healthy. Once cleared, there will be plenty of traffic between Brahms and playing time.

Montgomery Advertiser Auburn beat reporter Matthew Stevens said his clearest route will be at guard, a position more natural to Brahms and one that won’t require him to compete with five-star recruit Calvin Ashley and more veteran players like Darius James and Prince Tega Wanogho.

“I just don't see a lot of room at tackle. Now at guard ... (Braden) Smith is gone after this year,” Stevens said. “Mike Horton and Marquel Harrell are third-year sophomores and (Austin) Golson a center is gone after this year.”

At 6-foot-5, 300 pounds, Golson is built similarly to Brahms and the Navarre native said they’ve become friends in his first months at Auburn. Golson’s roundabout college career has featured time at center, guard and tackle as well as a full season with the Ole Miss Rebels in 2013.

Whether that’s the path for Brahms is yet to be seen. Either way, Brahms said he’s confident in what lies ahead.

“With everybody I’ve met there, there’s no big egos,” Brahms said. “They’re all good dudes. They’re all really humble.”

Tuesday: First spring practice 

March 2-9: Four practices

March 10-20: Spring Break, no practices

March 21-April 6: Eight practices

April 8: Annual A-Day Spring Game at Jordan-Hare Stadium at 1 p.m.

April 11: Wrap-up practice