2018 4* CB Jalyn Armour-Davis (Bama)

ellitor

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'd say the difference is that Ross is a 5* instate kid who grew up a AU fan and has been around the program for a long long time. And AU was a big leader for his signature. Would be a epic fail not just for Kodi but the whole offensive coaching staff. Have to win these battles. No excuses on this one. 

If the staff has completely turned the recruiting of the top player in this area to their most inexperienced recruiter, then I might have to see if you have room on your "I hate Gus bus" for one more passenger. However, that's not happening. We've all seen this before: When UAT pulls out all the stops and all the Dodge Chargers, they usually get their prospect. That's not Kodi's fault, any more than it's the fault of generations of AU recruiters that have been out-bid by the REC.

Edited to write "inexperienced"

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If the staff has completely turned the recruiting of the top player in this area to their most experienced recruiter, then I might have to see if you have room on your "I hate Gus bus" for one more passenger. However, that's not happening. We've all seen this before: When UAT pulls out all the stops and all the Dodge Chargers, they usually get their prospect. That's not Kodi's fault, any more than it's the fault of generations of AU recruiters that have been out-bid by the REC.

uat isn't cheating on this one. I can assure you on that one. We have people on our side here. And this won't be all on Kodi. Would be on the whole AU offensive staff as I said in my post. And AU is pulling all the stops with Ross, just like uat. Would be a fail for the whole AU offensive staff. I'd say Gus more than Kodi. Kodi just needs to close on some of the other kids. The kid from Georgia is one of them. Damn good player who likes Kodi. Those are the kids Kodi needs to get. The 4* kids. All hands on deck for kids like Ross. 

And I don't hate Gus. I just hate how he manages a program and calls games. Maybe Gus and Kodi will catch on and make history at AU? Hope that happens. Hiring a guy like Lindsey, letting him have 95% control, is a step in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The kid from Georgia is one of them. Damn good player who likes Kodi.

Matthew Hill?

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

And I don't hate Gus. I just hate how he manages a program and calls games.

Me too...But I loved how he called games as an OC. Which makes it even more frustrating to me

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And that's a problem. We had a huge lead for Benron til he and his family took a surprise visit to Bama. From that point on his family took over his recruitment & it was over. The HC at PC was very disappointed how the Benton family handled things after that & he's not even an AU fan.

True. Why do you think this happened? What's to prevent it from happening with Ross? This is probably before your time, but QB Richard Todd was committed to Auburn and a life-long fan. Then suddenly his mom, a nurse in a Mobile doctor's office, was hired as a department head in UAT's School of Nursing and Todd signed with bammer. Similar stories are repeated so often that people hardly notice anymore. Who  noticed the fishy Benton situation? It can and will happen again. Hopefully not with Ross but there's no reason to think it won't.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

True. Why do you think this happened? What's to prevent it from happening with Ross? This is probably before your time, but QB Richard Todd was committed to Auburn and a life-long fan. Then suddenly his mom, a nurse in a Mobile doctor's office, was hired as a department head in UAT's School of Nursing and Todd signed with bammer. Similar stories are repeated so often that people hardly notice anymore. Who  noticed the fishy Benton situation? It can and will happen again. Hopefully not with Ross but there's no reason to think it won't.

WDE corrected me saying it would be a whole offensive staff failure so no need to continue this banter.

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And that's a problem. We had a huge lead for Benron til he and his family took a surprise visit to Bama. From that point on his family took over his recruitment & it was over. The HC at PC was very disappointed how the Benton family handled things after that & he's not even an AU fan.

We didn't want Benton. T-Will played uat on that one. Like a pro. Even mad uat get out the check book. Was a thing of beauty. Even the so called late push AU made. This I know to be 100% true. 

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

See my response to Benton. 

Bear hid Todd in a hotel room in Mobile till signing day. And yes his mom got paid. That was the old wild wild west of recruiting. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We didn't want Benton. T-Will played uat on that one. Like a pro. Even mad uat get out the check book. Was a thing of beauty. Even the so called late push AU made. This I know to be 100% true. 

Y'all should've seen his family at Central's graduation last Thursday. Absolutely decked out in Bama gear and "King Benton" T-Shirts to match. 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Y'all should've seen his family at Central's graduation last Thursday. Absolutely decked out in Bama gear and "King Benton" T-Shirts to match. 

Nice. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Nice. 

In terms of Justyn Ross tho, everything I've heard and talked to people about at Central is that it's been a clean recruitment SO FAR, and that Auburn and Bama are tight but we have the lead.  

What is really interesting to me (and this is a general observation, not about AU or Bama) is that a LOT of top kids are turning the shoulder on some of the impermissible benefits that were SOP in the past. One of the most effective tools the NCAA has implemented is a standard investigation into every top signing class. It hasn't stopped the practice of buying signatures (nothing will), but it has curtailed it. Primarily because some of these top signees see what a headache investigations can be. Manziel, Cam, etc. having to deal with ongoing investigations/questions while trying to play. The distractions do affect players, and that can impact draft status. If you're eyes are really on an early NFL payday, taking $1,000 now is just shortsighted.

This has literally nothing to do with Jalyn Armour-Davis.

5 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

In terms of Justyn Ross tho, everything I've heard and talked to people about at Central is that it's been a clean recruitment SO FAR, and that Auburn and Bama are tight but we have the lead.  

Hopefully his recruitment will drag on into the season and he'll get to see that we have an OC who likes to throw the ball and bama has an OC who's entire history has been a completely ground based offense.

5 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

What is really interesting to me (and this is a general observation, not about AU or Bama) is that a LOT of top kids are turning the shoulder on some of the impermissible benefits that were SOP in the past. One of the most effective tools the NCAA has implemented is a standard investigation into every top signing class. It hasn't stopped the practice of buying signatures (nothing will), but it has curtailed it. Primarily because some of these top signees see what a headache investigations can be. Manziel, Cam, etc. having to deal with ongoing investigations/questions while trying to play. The distractions do affect players, and that can impact draft status. If you're eyes are really on an early NFL payday, taking $1,000 now is just shortsighted.

Unless, of course, they are signing with bama, who NEVER gets investigated.

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hopefully his recruitment will drag on into the season and he'll get to see that we have an OC who likes to throw the ball and bama has an OC who's entire history has been a completely ground based offense.

And also hopefully a shiny new QB in his class who would be expected to get him the ball fairly easily. If we get Fields it could have a huge impact on Ross.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

And also hopefully a shiny new QB in his class who would be expected to get him the ball fairly easily. If we get Fields it could have a huge impact on Ross.

^^This^^

10 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

See my response to Benton. 

Bear hid Todd in a hotel room in Mobile till signing day. And yes his mom got paid. That was the old wild wild west of recruiting. 

They did that with Calloway as well.

4 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

They did that with Calloway as well.

I went to Richard Todds Alma Mater for high school and I saw him around in my 4 years at some of the football games and it was never hard to get him to say war eagle accompanied by a wink back. I always found that strange but now it makes sense if he grew up a lifelong Auburn fan till the REC bought his family.

35 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I went to Richard Todds Alma Mater for high school and I saw him around in my 4 years at some of the football games and it was never hard to get him to say war eagle accompanied by a wink back. I always found that strange but now it makes sense if he grew up a lifelong Auburn fan till the REC bought his family.

Todd was all Auburn until.....................................

32 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Todd was all Auburn until.....................................

:[ yeeeeeeeeeep.

Sooo this Jalyn Armour-Davis cat seems pretty good. It would be nice if we could land him.

Archived