2018 4* CB Jalyn Armour-Davis (Bama)

ellitor

On 5/31/2017 at 7:13 AM, bigbird said:

Me too...But I loved how he called games as an OC. Which makes it even more frustrating to me

As OC all he had to worry about was the offense and in 2010 he had a once in a lifetime QB under center. Now he has far more to be concerned with.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On May 31, 2017 at 8:13 AM, bigbird said:

Me too...But I loved how he called games as an OC. Which makes it even more frustrating to me

That's how I felt about Chizik.

• 2 weeks later...

I played against Todd in high school. He and his Davidson teammates ripped us a new one at Lawson field. 

I was ecstatic when he committed to Auburn. Unfortunately, we all know how that scenario ended. >:(

I wouldn't say this is over, but Bama has a big lead.  It is amazing how Bama just comes in and gets these kids that have been heavy AU leans with FSU also high with JAD. Saban is able to completely ignore a kid until he misses out on people higher on his board while JAD was #1 on our board and get them.  It is impressive I have to admit.  I believe after our season this year which I expect along with people very close to program a very big year this will start to change.  Saban won't be able to ignore and then swoop in and land the kid after we spend 3 years recruiting him.  Like I said its not over yet, but it does not look good ATM.

44 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I wouldn't say this is over, but Bama has a big lead.  It is amazing how Bama just comes in and gets these kids that have been heavy AU leans with FSU also high with JAD. Saban is able to completely ignore a kid until he misses out on people higher on his board while JAD was #1 on our board and get them.  It is impressive I have to admit.  I believe after our season this year which I expect along with people very close to program a very big year this will start to change.  Saban won't be able to ignore and then swoop in and land the kid after we spend 3 years recruiting him.  Like I said its not over yet, but it does not look good ATM.

We just need to figure out a way to shut down a few Tuscaloosa area car dealers and it will get harder for bama to swoop in on players.

Outside of that, I bet it will take 2 or 3 years to make real waves in recruiting, since bama's #1 selling point is the NFL, and we're a young team, so our current crop of talent won't get drafted for another year or two.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

We just need to figure out a way to shut down a few Tuscaloosa area car dealers and it will get harder for bama to swoop in on players.

Outside of that, I bet it will take 2 or 3 years to make real waves in recruiting, since bama's #1 selling point is the NFL, and we're a young team, so our current crop of talent won't get drafted for another year or two.

I believe after this year Saban won be able to swoop in and get our top recruit at a position after missing on theirs. To out in perspective we have recruited JAD very hard for 3 years now while Saban basically used him as his backup plan. Yet unless something drastic changed he will end up at bama. We should have the best secondary in SEC this year which could help with JAD but he is all about bama now. We had to do everything we could to get him to hold off on committing to them. He loves our coaches is more st home here than anywhere else but Saban can come in and get him after we spent all this effort building the relationship. I believe this changes after this year as long as the season goes as I expect it too.

29 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I believe after this year Saban won be able to swoop in and get our top recruit at a position after missing on theirs. To out in perspective we have recruited JAD very hard for 3 years now while Saban basically used him as his backup plan. Yet unless something drastic changed he will end up at bama. We should have the best secondary in SEC this year which could help with JAD but he is all about bama now. We had to do everything we could to get him to hold off on committing to them. He loves our coaches is more st home here than anywhere else but Saban can come in and get him after we spent all this effort building the relationship. I believe this changes after this year as long as the season goes as I expect it too.

What's even more amazing is that this kid cannot see that. He's been virtually ignored by Saban for all this time, now all of a sudden he's a big-time Bama lean. 

16 hours ago, AURandy56 said:

What's even more amazing is that this kid cannot see that. He's been virtually ignored by Saban for all this time, now all of a sudden he's a big-time Bama lean. 

Sadly, I've seen some of bama's recruiting materials and we make it pretty easy for them.  All they really need to do is list the DBs they've put in the league, lately, and their draft positions... then list ours. Our D has been down for so long that they don't even have to work. One year of resurgence is good, but even with that, our first player didn't go until the 95th pick, and our DBs were in the 6th and 7th round. They, on the other hand, has a DB go as the 16th pick and another in the 4th round.  We haven't had a DB go first round since Carlos Rogers over a decade ago.  They have placed 9 DBs in the league in the past 5 years. We've placed 3... none higher than the 6th round. 

So, basically, all Saban has to do is walk through the door, show them the list, and say "you keep playing at a 4-star level and we will make sure you're playing on Sundays". 

The good news is that all of the pieces seem to be falling into place for us to have some darn good draft classes coming up very soon.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

CGB will make a big difference. 

I hope so.  He's certainly got the cred... I'm waiting to see how Davis plays this year. If he's back in All SEC form, then I'll be sold on Brown.

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Are you sure? Dude looks like a goober.....

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

I knew my man GWill would be on that post, lol.

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

I knew my man GWill would be on that post, lol.

it is the reference that WILL NEVER DIE! haha

12 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I hope so.  He's certainly got the cred... I'm waiting to see how Davis plays this year. If he's back in All SEC form, then I'll be sold on Brown.

Both Davis's 

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Both Davis's 

While I definitely want to see JD make a name for himself, the real measuring stick for Brown, to me, is if he can take Carlton and return him to the level at which we know he can produce.  I mean, it's not like he fell off the map last year, but he didn't live up to the promise of his freshman outing.

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I definitely want to see JD make a name for himself, the real measuring stick for Brown, to me, is if he can take Carlton and return him to the level at which we know he can produce.  I mean, it's not like he fell off the map last year, but he didn't live up to the promise of his freshman outing.

He spent a lot more time covering the other teams WR1- a lot of them NFL receivers- and we didn't necessarily have an amazing pass rush. Not saying he didn't regress at all, but I think his role changed from year one to year two. 

I'm hoping for a big year from Tray Matthews. Contract year for a wildly gifted guy who is unusually experienced even for a senior. He's going to have to stay healthy and he'll need more help from the rest of his team. I agree with @bigbird's point that Tray has often looked bad because he was put in a spot he never should have been in. But if he gets that help, then it means CGB has coached up the entire secondary and we are all happy. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm hoping for a big year from Tray Matthews. Contract year for a wildly gifted guy who is unusually experienced even for a senior. He's going to have to stay healthy and he'll need more help from the rest of his team. I agree with @bigbird's point that Tray has often looked bad because he was put in a spot he never should have been in. But if he gets that help, then it means CGB has coached up the entire secondary and we are all happy. 

Based on the interview I saw with him a couple of days ago, he's expecting big things from himself, too. The thing I didn't realize from the interview is that he played much of 2015 with not one, but both shoulders injured.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Based on the interview I saw with him a couple of days ago, he's expecting big things from himself, too. The thing I didn't realize from the interview is that he played much of 2015 with not one, but both shoulders injured.

And got crucified on the boards. 

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The Fournette play aside, lol, he's gotten a bum rap from the AU fans. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

The fournette play was due to his bad shoulders

Just now, McLoofus said:

He actually explained that play in the interview.  With both shoulders hurt, one in a brace and the other supposed to be in a brace, but he didn't wear it, he didn't think he could take a hit from him going low, so he went high and timed it just wrong.

Archived