2018 4* CB Jalyn Armour-Davis (Bama)

ellitor

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SECCountry

Alabama’s No. 2 prospect seems like right fit

Fair or not, Greg Brown will be judged heavily on his first recruiting cycle as Auburn’s defensive backs coach. That’s the nature of today’s recruiting business.

Brown’s role during the 2017 cycle was limited. His mission was to secure the four commitments on board prior to his arrival. In 2018, it’ll be a brand new game. Brown didn’t take long to start his task. He was on the recruiting trail to visit 2018 prospects his first weekend on campus, which also included some face time for the committed official visitors that he, indeed, helped retain.

This new recruiting cycle is all his.

So where’s a great place to start? Jalyn Armour-Davis.

Armour-Davis is a 4-star cornerback from Mobile, Ala., who plays at St. Paul’s Episcopal, which — aside from the recent miss on Ryan Johnson — has been a loyal pipeline for Auburn. Armour-Davis is the No. 94 overall prospect in the nation and the No. 2 in the state of Alabama behind fellow Auburn target Justyn Ross.

Armour-Davis’ familiarity with the program runs deeper than Brown, so the prior relationship has helped the defensive back coach transition.

“Auburn’s always been one of my top schools. They were the first school to offer me. That played a huge role,” Armour-Davis said. “Every time I come here, it just feels like home. They preach family around here, and that’s something that stands out. That’s something they advertise. That’s important. I feel comfortable whenever I come here.”

Brown and Armour-Davis had their first extended encounter at Auburn’s junior day event at the end of January.

He was asked then — as all defensive back prospects have been the past two months — what he thought of Brown. Armour-Davis smirked, then laughed, then glanced over his shoulder at a grinning Brown who was encouraging him to tell everyone how great the new defensive backs coach was.

Brown turned away. Armour-Davis offered a genuine response, without supervision.

Auburn CB target Jalyn Armour-Davis (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)
Auburn CB target Jalyn Armour-Davis (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

“He’s intelligent. He has a really good background history,” Armour-Davis said. “It’s just a lot of technique, small things, that I wouldn’t even pay attention to. He has a lot of things to teach me.”

When Armour-Davis said “background history,” he specifically meant Brown’s track record with Thorpe Award winners and NFL draft picks, specifically mentioning HaHa Clinton-Dix.

That connection with and trust in Brown reassured Armour-Davis that Auburn was one of his top schools, as he attempts to narrow down to a top 5 — that Auburn will definitely be included in — as summer approaches.

“It means he can really push me to my limits and take me to the next level. He’s done it with those guys,” Armour-Davis said. “You see how they’ve come out to be NFL stars. I look forward to see how far he could push me and what would be my limits.”

Here are Auburn’s top competitors who have offered so far: Florida, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Kentucky and Memphis.

Notice Alabama isn’t on that list. The Crimson Tide are picky at defensive back, but it’s rare that a top-100 player within their own state borders goes unoffered and unpursued. After not signing any in 2017, Nick Saban contacted Armour-Davis immediately after National Signing Day to begin work there in 2018. A Crimson Tide offer seems inevitable ultimately.

Auburn appears to be the in the driver’s seat for Armour-Davis. All three Crystal Ball predictions go to Auburn, but it’s early. He said he’d like to narrow in on a top 5 soon. I’d suspect that potential Alabama offer will be a good catalyst to that list actually taking shape.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Please zap this post if too OT, but since Greg Brown was prominently mentioned in the article... do we have a feel yet for how he's doing?

If you mean as a recruiter he's getting a lot of play from some quality rated DBs but time will tell by where they sign if it's him or if it's piggy backing at the moment off the work Crime Dog had done before leaving.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

If you mean as a recruiter he's getting a lot of play from some quality rated DBs but time will tell by where they sign if it's him or if it's piggy backing at the moment off the work Crime Dog had done before leaving.

Thanks!

Jalyn looks like a stud. 

Ryan Johnson was a tough loss for me really wanted the kid to be at Auburn but if I had to choose between him or JAD out of the ST Pauls kids give me JAD!!! We need some stud corners and he def fits the bill!!! We have a short supply of them.

From the above tweet...

A longtime Scout four-star prospect and one who has played a major role with Yellowhammer State power Mobile (Ala.) St. Paul's Episcopal over the last three-plus seasons, Jalyn Armour-Davis has been a known commodity by prep fans and college football coaches for some time. 

The four-star cornerback, currently tabbed as the top defensive prospect in Alabama, has collected well over a dozen scholarship offers from the Atlantic to the Pacific in the process, but he has been working towards cutting down the growing list for some time. 

Armour-Davis went public with the move on Tuesday, revealing AuburnFlorida StateLSUGeorgiaFlorida and USC as his top six schools under consideration. 

The lone in-state program on the list, Auburn, has hosted Armour-Davis more than any other program and he tells Scout he will be back on the Plains for another unofficial visit Tuesday. His latest trips include Auburn and Florida State and several others in the top grouping could host him before a verbal commitment is to be made. 

As for a timetable on the potential pledge, the rising-senior says he may come to a decision "pretty soon" although there is no scheduled date to go public with the announcement. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Have to get kids like this committed now. Top 100 player helping with recruiting is huge.  Pretty sure Jalyen wasat the AU practice yesterday. 

He was 

SECCountry update includes some not so good news...

Top in-state cornerback names top 6

Jalyn Armour-Davis is the best cornerback in the state of Alabama. That’s what his recruiting ranking says. That’s what he’s shown throughout his high school career. On top of that, Armour-Davis is the No. 2-ranked overall prospect in the state, so he’s one of the best athletes in Alabama.

Auburn hopes to land the 4-star cornerback from St. Paul’s Episcopal in Mobile, Ala.

The Tigers found their way into Armour-Davis’ top 6 along with Florida State, USC, Georgia, LSU and Florida. No Alabama on that list, which is surprising considering Nick Saban personally reached out to the No. 95 prospect in the country on National Signing Day to express his priority in the Crimson Tide’s 2018 recruiting class.

Auburn is in good shape, but based on a conversation with someone close to Armour-Davis, it’s likely Florida State is the team to beat right now. Armour-Davis attended Florida State’s junior day earlier this month and was blown away by his experience in Tallahassee.

That visit helped him decide it was time to pick a top list of schools. His decision won’t be too far off either.

Armour-Davis told SEC Country that he will make his choice “hopefully as it comes closer to summer.”

Based on this, Ryan Johnson, things @WarDamnEagleWDE said, & other rumblings it sounds like Kodi (who was the Mobile recruiter til 2 weeks ago for AU) has done some botch-work down there. Hopefully the new Mobile AU recruiter, T-Will, can turn this one around.

There are no must get players ever but this one is about as close to one as it gets.  Amour-Davis and Ross are 2 in state guys that will define this class.  I expect another top 10 class regardless but perception is reality sometimes and the perception is bama gets the instste kids they want then go national.  We need to get the instate kids we want and cherry pick Georgia and Florida.  Sell that bama wants Texas, California, and Florida kids over home grown talent.  

Another SECCountry Update

Four-star 2018 cornerback target Jalyn Armour-Davis is perhaps the top commodity on Auburn’s defensive recruiting board. Armour-Davis watched the defense practice during the 15-minute media viewing period. The No. 2 prospect in the state of Alabama wasn’t just in Auburn for practice, however. He’ll be on campus until Thursday.

A long-term visit in the middle of the week always is a good indication about how a prospect feels about a program. Armour-Davis released his top 6 on Tuesday morning. It included his two perceived favorites, Auburn and Florida State. Alabama was excluded, which came as a slight surprise. As noted Tuesday, the Seminoles blew away Armour-Davis for his junior day visit, which is why the person close to Armour-Davis told SEC Country that Florida State has a slight edge. The timing and length of Armour-Davis’ visit to Auburn can’t be ignored. You can’t downplay the importance of the visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Armour-Davis reconsiders Crimson Tide

Don’t count out Auburn’s biggest rival for Jalyn Armour-Davis, one of the top players in the state.

The No. 1 defensive prospect in Alabama released a top-six list recently sans the Crimson Tide, which came as a surprise to many given the priority Nick Saban showed to Armour-Davis on National Signing Day.

There appears to be a slight amendment to that list.

SEC Country Alabama writer Chris Kirschner spoke with Armour-Davis, who cleared up some confusion about the Alabama-less list.

“Bama is still in the mix,” Armour-Davis told Kirschner. “I just realize my opportunity.”

The Crimson Tide rarely miss on the top in-state prospects, so for the top defensive player to not include Alabama in his top six was startling, to say the least. Armour-Davis will be one of many prospects in the state this season — Justyn Ross, Andres Fox, Seth Williams, Coynis Miller and others — who will be courted by both sides of the Iron Bowl rivalry.

Auburn made the list, and the Tigers will be in the race until the end, which likely will end sooner than later. Armour-Davis received his first offer from Auburn, which he’s mentioned repeatedly as an important factor in his final decision.

The addition of Alabama to the mix, while unexpected, adds some intrigue and complicates Auburn’s chances.

Bama's in the mix. You knew they wouldn't spend the whole time on the outside looking in regarding this young man. I just hope Auburn doesn't let up in their pursuit of.him.

On 3/1/2017 at 10:47 AM, ellitor said:

SECCountry update includes some not so good news...

Based on this, Ryan Johnson, things @WarDamnEagleWDE said, & other rumblings it sounds like Kodi (who was the Mobile recruiter til 2 weeks ago for AU) has done some botch-work down there. Hopefully the new Mobile AU recruiter, T-Will, can turn this one around.

I'd say that statement is pretty accurate. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'd say that statement is pretty accurate. 

"botch-work"  what are some examples of ways that recruiters can botch up a situation?

From what I read Kodi didn't botch up Ryan Johnson we got beat by Stanford because of the educational advantages that school has. It is a tough sell to go against a school like Stanford when you have a kid who is smart enough to qualify to go there. As for messing up on this kid it is possible I don't know.

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

From what I read Kodi didn't botch up Ryan Johnson we got beat by Stanford because of the educational advantages that school has. It is a tough sell to go against a school like Stanford when you have a kid who is smart enough to qualify to go there. As for messing up on this kid it is possible I don't know.

Sometimes what really happens doesn't go public. Kodi opened the door for Stanford to get RJ by not taking care of things down there.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

"botch-work"  what are some examples of ways that recruiters can botch up a situation?

Not communicating well with local coaches & administration and thus having that school or schools prohibit the coach from visiting that school or schools. I've seen that happen to a number of recruiting coaches over the years.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not communicating well with local coaches & administration and thus having that school or school prohibit the coach from visiting that school or schools. I've seen that happen to a number of recruiting coaches over the years.

Wait a minute, aren't high school coaches supposed to get fired for trying to prohibit coaches from visiting? 

5 minutes ago, PotPot said:

Wait a minute, aren't high school coaches supposed to get fired for trying to prohibit coaches from visiting? 

I didn't say in my post the HS coaches would be doing the prohibitting. I said the school or schools.

Archived