2018 4* CB Jalyn Armour-Davis (Bama)

ellitor

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I didn't say in my post the HS coaches would be doing the prohibitting. I said the school or schools.

Understood. And, yes, I was being a little sarcastic referring to the coach in La. being fired for attempting to ban uat. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, PotPot said:

Understood. And, yes, I was being a little sarcastic referring to the coach in La. being fired for attempting to ban uat. 

Ahh. Didn't know about that. I don't pay attention to Bama unless it pertains to AU.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Ahh. Didn't know about that. I don't pay attention to Bama unless it pertains to AU.

There is a thread on it in the football rivals section. Only way I know about it.

7 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

From what I read Kodi didn't botch up Ryan Johnson we got beat by Stanford because of the educational advantages that school has. It is a tough sell to go against a school like Stanford when you have a kid who is smart enough to qualify to go there. As for messing up on this kid it is possible I don't know.

Kodi made some big mistakes in Mobile especially with Ryan. That's why he is no longer there and TWill is. TWill has some ground to make up.

7 hours ago, AUDevil said:

"botch-work"  what are some examples of ways that recruiters can botch up a situation?

Opening his mouth and inserting his foot when speaking to coaches or recruits. Another way is to be a terrible communicator. Kodi has a long ways to go hopefully he can get it together

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Kodi made some big mistakes in Mobile especially with Ryan. That's why he is no longer there and TWill is. TWill has some ground to make up.

T-Will is a great choice to mend fences. He is proving to be a outstanding recruiter and an above average coach that players like to play for. We need to keep T-Will around for many years. Can't wait to see how our LBers perform this year. 

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Opening his mouth and inserting his foot when speaking to coaches or recruits. Another way is to be a terrible communicator. Kodi has a long ways to go hopefully he can get it together

If Kodi is that big of a liability why is he still employed at AU?

22 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

If Kodi is that big of a liability why is he still employed at AU?

As stated numerous times he is Chip's boy & is Gucci for now.

There were some problems in Mobile. Gus listened and solved the problem. Pretty much the story. Kodi's personality doesn't jive with some folks and Kodi needs to learn that he has to follow through when asked. 

Ryan Johnson was a avalanche of things that worked against AU. Some was self inflicted but not all. 

53 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

There were some problems in Mobile. Gus listened and solved the problem. Pretty much the story. Kodi's personality doesn't jive with some folks and Kodi needs to learn that he has to follow through when asked. 

Ryan Johnson was a avalanche of things that worked against AU. Some was self inflicted but not all. 

This is disappointing and encouraging all at the same time. Hate that it (might) have cost us a solid prospect that seemed like a good kid.

I think it's silly to hire very young coaches and then consider every youthful mistake a fireable offense. Kodi has a lot to learn. I find it impossible to believe that we didn't already know that when we hired him. If that's the mindset when you make the hire, you teach the guy as you go. I assume we made the hire based on confidence that he could coach the position on-field and grow into bigger and more prominent roles over time. That's what we do at my firm. You hire talent, and you groom that talent over time. You ask them to do one thing well, then another, then two more, etc. You don't expect a finished product straight out of law school. If that's the expectation, you're always disappointed.

Now, we can have the debate about whether "Auburn is a place you learn on the job" or not, but we made the hire. Our head coach and administration actively decided that, yes, for the right guy, Auburn is a place where we let you learn on the job. For Gus (and apparently Chip), Kodi is the kind of talent that you groom over time and deal with his deficiencies in the short-term.

As much as anything else Kodi has shown he is willing to always put Auburn, and winning as a team, ahead of his personal goals. He did it as a player, and I think he will do it as a coach/recruiter for Auburn. I love it when we give "Auburn men" a chance to better themselves, whether it is in playing or coaching! (See T'Will too) I believe he will continue to be more of a plus than a liability if given some time to develop as a coach/recruiter!

All of that it's subjective, how big the mistake depends on consequences....there are some things that are too important to chalk it up as oh well....I was hoping there weren't any game changing recruits in this area for the next few years because I figured stuff like this was a possibility. Need a CDC right now....

Best recruiters for that area right now may be Tre Williams and Deshaun Davis

4 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

With things like this, he shouldnt be though. 

Well your OP said "liability". I think that word choice is a bit off. Yes he doesn't communicate well at times on the trail. Part of that is he is a no BS recruiter. Him not playing the recruiting game does hurt him with a good number of coaches & recruits. There are some that like it, as in Jacob Copeland, but whether they like it enough to land those targets remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Well your OP said "liability". I think that word choice is a bit off. Yes he doesn't communicate well at times on the trail. Part of that is he is a no BS recruiter. Him not playing the recruiting game does hurt him with a good number of coaches & recruits. There are some that like it, as in Jacob Copeland, but whether they like it enough to land those targets remains to be seen.

just as important to copeland it seems like that resonates with ross as well.

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Losing recruits due to bad communication or lack of communication is to me a liabilty so much so that he was removed from the area. Idk, I hope Kodi gets it together but it isn't sounding good from what golf and WDEwde have said. 

11 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Losing recruits due to bad communication or lack of communication is to me a liabilty so much so that he was removed from the area. Idk, I hope Kodi gets it together but it isn't sounding good from what golf and WDEwde have said. 

to me it just means Kodi NEEDS to play the game more.

10 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I have heard the same. I caught a lot of flack for criticizing the hire.. relationships are everything when it comes to recruiting 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

to me it just means Kodi NEEDS to play the game more.

My thinking as well.

18 hours ago, toddc said:

As much as anything else Kodi has shown he is willing to always put Auburn, and winning as a team, ahead of his personal goals. He did it as a player, and I think he will do it as a coach/recruiter for Auburn. I love it when we give "Auburn men" a chance to better themselves, whether it is in playing or coaching! (See T'Will too) I believe he will continue to be more of a plus than a liability if given some time to develop as a coach/recruiter!

Really? Care to share some examples? 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Play the game? 

as much as I would love to just tag @ellitor and have him post of gif of triple H I meant the recruiting game. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

as much as I would love to just tag @ellitor and have him post of gif of triple H I meant the recruiting game. 

I know what you meant. That is the problem with Kodi. He just isn't ever going to be a good recruiter. 

On 3/15/2017 at 10:34 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not being an insider, I have no idea what did or didn't happen in Mobile. But if a rookie SEC coach was assigned as our lead recruiter in an area as important as Mobile, I have to question the wisdom of our head coach in that decision.

Archived