Spring Notes/News

Maverick.AU

Maybe my memory is hazy, but in the past, haven't there been individual daily threads with information about the practices with info from people who were there or close to the program?  Or is that just in the fall?  I was looking forward to that :P

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Right now we're sitting at eight lost to attrition since August 1st. That's through Boston and the two sniors announced today. I'm not counting S. Davis jr. because nobody is real sure that he was ever put on scholarship. Normally there are a few more that quit after spring practice when they see they aren't moving up the depth chart.

If anybody out there can play DB and has some eligibility left, now is the time to step up! :) We are getting mighty thin back there. I don't like all the DB's injured right now. It's not very often that someone has to sit out the spring and then turns into a big contributor when the season starts.

Getting thin is a pretty literal statement in more ways than one. By my count we have one safety over 200 pounds. In a league with a lot of 225 pound running backs, that's not good. I like that we are recruiting taller DBs, now we need more thumper types. 

Anyone who knows anything about throwing motion willing to comment on Stidham's? As someone who doesn't have any experience in that area, to my eye, it looks like a long motion based on how far he brings the ball back. Am I wrong?

11 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Anyone who knows anything about throwing motion willing to comment on Stidham's? As someone who doesn't have any experience in that area, to my eye, it looks like a long motion based on how far he brings the ball back. Am I wrong?

Stidham's throwing motion is about what you would teach.  Maybe just a tiny hair longer but right in line with what is considered an ideal motion.  It's nothing like the baseball outfielder throwing motion Tebow had or (to pick on another UF QB) the shot put motion of Wuerffel.  

I don't have both side by side but I would say his motion is similar to Cam's and shorter then Jason Campbell's.  

From the video indoors today looks like he might have more zip then he showed at Baylor however his arm should be very live right now being the first day of practice.

15 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm nervous about moving our returning OLinemen to other positions on the line, especially Braden who was so dang effective at RG. I know we have a new OC and that is literally my only hope that we get the best and the right combination at the right spots out there.

But if I was Braden Smith I'd be happy. The earning potential for tackles is much higher than guards.

I wouldn't read too much into anything right now concerning the OL. I'm told there is going to be a lot of changes and combos this spring.  

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I wouldn't read too much into anything right now concerning the OL. I'm told there is going to be a lot of changes and combos this spring.  

I agree WDE.  Our OL is a bunch of big athletic guys.  Find the best 7-8 in the spring and work their technique in the summer.  If we can't find a solid 7 in this group then that's on coach Hand.  

In my opinion things of concern is finding a dependable pass rusher that doesn't give up much on run stopping.  

Also, backups at Safety, nickel, and starting and back up punter.  

This team is loaded and all depends on how we play at the line of scrimmage on both sides and how fast QB1 gets into a groove.  

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Also, backups at Safety, nickel, and starting and back up punter.  

Mathews is the starter at one safety, but, to me, the other safety is wide open. I'm worried about the other starter.

How do you feel about Atkinson at nickle?

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Mathews is the starter at one safety, but, to me, the other safety is wide open. I'm worried about the other starter.

How do you feel about Atkinson at nickle?

I'm hoping Ruffin locks down the other safety spot and Roberts can play NB.  But... and it's a big but... who's the backups at those spots.  

Atkinson/McBride I think would be ok in situations where the opposing offense uses a TE set or 2 back set. Where they are covering a TE/HB/FB.  But 4 wide sets they would be liabilities in my opinion.  

Can Character play safety?  Mentally CB is easier for younger players so I would look possibly at one of the older CB's to move and at least cross train at Safety but I don't know which one that might be.  Definitely not C. Davis.

14 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That's a really great idea for a charity service, actually.  Providing services for ailing family members to see their kids play in college.  As long as the service was open to every team, the NCAA couldn't do jack about it.  I'm sure there would be a way to leverage Uber/Lyft and some other existing services, to make it easy to spread it nationally.

Great idea and I agree as long as you did it across the board there should be no problem with it.

I also meant to add it was a big loss recruiting with coach Crimedog but Gus probably made the right call in getting coach brown as the DB coach for these young guys.  Looks like Coach Steele was working with the DBs in one of the videos as well so it appears they realize the need for growth there.  

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm hoping Ruffin locks down the other safety spot and Roberts can play NB.  But... and it's a big but... who's the backups at those spots.  

Atkinson/McBride I think would be ok in situations where the opposing offense uses a TE set or 2 back set. Where they are covering a TE/HB/FB.  But 4 wide sets they would be liabilities in my opinion.  

Can Character play safety?  Mentally CB is easier for younger players so I would look possibly at one of the older CB's to move and at least cross train at Safety but I don't know which one that might be.  Definitely not C. Davis.

Just about my thoughts on it.  Character will have to play Safety, IMO. We might be able to use Dinson's length there, but who knows. Its a tough pull for Brown.

What about Daniel Thomas?  I know he made a couple big plays in the Iron Bowl but one of those was pure luck and he was way out of position.  

9 minutes ago, corchjay said:

What about Daniel Thomas?  I know he made a couple big plays in the Iron Bowl but one of those was pure luck and he was way out of position.  

He is an option, but he was so lost last year. I'm glad we have a technician back there now coaching

But as mentioned earlier my biggest concern outside of QB is interior and outside pass rush.  I think Brown can replace Mon but not sure where the edge rush comes from.  

Thats not a knock on Davidson because in my opinion as a freshman he's the best looking DL we have had since T. Rocker.  Marlon plays down the line much like Rocker did and Marlon never quits... never ever.  Kudos to that kid.  They are rare 

7 hours ago, FistyMcBeefpunch said:

Maybe my memory is hazy, but in the past, haven't there been individual daily threads with information about the practices with info from people who were there or close to the program?  Or is that just in the fall?  I was looking forward to that :P

There will be, however Spring schedule is Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.  So look for a lot of board chatter on those evenings and media articles the day after.

8 hours ago, FistyMcBeefpunch said:

RIR used to have threads for each day of Spring practice but he seems to be busy with other things right now. Not a negative statement. Just an observation.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Good to know. Thanks for that tidbit.

13 hours ago, DAG said:

Nobody had any idea what cam would be like when he got here, as he hardly played any significance at UF. Completely different scenarios . Stop it.

Seriously?  I distinctly remember every Auburn fan I know being extremely excited about Cam from the moment he committed. Who cares what he did at UF, he practically single handedly won the JuCo championship, including playing with an injured shoulder in the championship game. It's not like he hadn't played a significant down before coming to Auburn. 

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

But as mentioned earlier my biggest concern outside of QB is interior and outside pass rush.  I think Brown can replace Mon but not sure where the edge rush comes from.  

Thats not a knock on Davidson because in my opinion as a freshman he's the best looking DL we have had since T. Rocker.  Marlon plays down the line much like Rocker did and Marlon never quits... never ever.  Kudos to that kid.  They are rare 

From everything I've read, the expectation is that Coe is going to be a household name before the season is over. I haven't read a single report from people who have seen him in practices, or from his teammates, that wasn't glowing.

No one is ever going to be Cam. I accepted that a long time ago. We can't write Stidham's story for him, either. As far as I'm concerned, he may end up having a greater legacy than Cam. He also might not be the starting quarterback in October. Who knows?

One story I do like about Cam came from a friend of mine who played basketball with him in the spring of 2010. Just a pick up game, and he told me afterward that Cam was going to win the Heisman. Obviously, he didn't actually know that, but he said Cam had the quickest first step he'd ever seen for a guy his size, and we all saw what that was like on the field. 

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Seriously?  I distinctly remember every Auburn fan I know being extremely excited about Cam from the moment he committed. Who cares what he did at UF, he practically single handedly won the JuCo championship, including playing with an injured shoulder in the championship game. It's not like he hadn't played a significant down before coming to Auburn. 

I also remember much worry about JuCo TD/Intercept ratio.

6 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

I also remember much worry about JuCo TD/Intercept ratio.

You're thinking of Marshall.  Cam had a 22/5 passing TD to INT ration in JuCo.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You're thinking of Marshall.  Cam had a 22/5 passing TD to INT ration in JuCo.

yep

slipped a cog

Archived