Spring Notes/News

Maverick.AU

On 2/28/2017 at 11:49 AM, GwillMac6 said:

Malzahn: Paul James III cleared for spring, Jaunta'vius Johnson out for spring

Johnson arrived injured and seems to have stayed that way. I was really hoping he would develop into a good run stopper. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I thought it was a torn meniscus but it was so long ago in pre season practice I do not remember. I think why Ohio St cut him loose is because he was not medically cleared by their doctors but ours gave him the OK.

He injured his OTHER knee at Auburn. I had hoped he would be at full speed. The coaches seemed pretty high on him. 

On the Safety/Nickel discussion, the only spot that really concerns me is Nickel. We have a lot of options but no clear answer. Tray is absolutely starting at one Safety spot. I'd be comfortable with either Ruffin or Roberts in the other spot. I've always been in favor of Roberts shifting down to Nickel because I think he's better in tight coverage than he is playing centerfield. If you put him at Nickel and Atkinson at ILB in Nickel, you'd have a pretty incredible coverage group on the field. 

If he's healthy, I expect to see Dean shift back to Safety. He has the size for it, and it's less demanding on questionable knees. His coverage skills would be a plus at the spot the same way Roberts and Rosegreen and guys like that have been over the years. I love oversized CBs at Safety. I also fully expect Thomas to play Nickel or lock down a spot in the Safety rotation. He's a football player. He was lost as a true freshman, but his ability to make plays demanded that we put him on the field. Overmatched but that changes quickly with reps and time. I'll be legitimately surprised if he's not pushing for a starting job.

The Paul James news is being undersold. I think he's going to start on that DL. Before he was injured, he looked like he was ahead of Holland mentally and physically. James can play.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Seriously?  I distinctly remember every Auburn fan I know being extremely excited about Cam from the moment he committed. Who cares what he did at UF, he practically single handedly won the JuCo championship, including playing with an injured shoulder in the championship game. It's not like he hadn't played a significant down before coming to Auburn. 

keyword every AUBURN fan. JS is hyped up by the nation. The JUCO championship? Are you comparing what a 5-star 6'6 240 quality QB does at the JUCO level vs the D-1 level? He did NOT play a significant down, unlike JS who started games at the D-1 level and played at a high level as a TRUE FRESHMAN. Show me a significant down Cam Newton played at UF? There is the difference.  If Cam Newton would've came in and won games for UF as a true freshman, he would've had all the national hype too. Cam had a lot of potential, but you could not point to one stat prior to him coming here that proved he could be very good at the D-1 level. Besides Kirk Herbstreit who picked us as a sleeper, I don't remember anybody on the national scale who picked us to compete for a NC game. The same can't be said for JS. Now, whether he lives up to that or not is different.

Why did you even bring up Cam anyway? That is silly.  Even if JS were to win a Heisman lead us to a NC and break AU passing records, he could never be Cam. I don't even know where you were going with that.

5 hours ago, jared52 said:

Anyone who knows anything about throwing motion willing to comment on Stidham's? As someone who doesn't have any experience in that area, to my eye, it looks like a long motion based on how far he brings the ball back. Am I wrong?

He has the same thing most kids do now days, the baseball loop carryover from throwing a baseball.  Drives me nuts, but his isn't as bad as some.  No one teaches fundamental QB throwing anymore.  You're not going to see the Joe Namath, Dan Marino with the ball cocked by the ear and the quick, efficient, dart-like delivery much anymore.

Just now, DAG said:

keyword every AUBURN fan. JS is hyped up by the nation. The JUCO championship? Are you comparing what a 5-star 6'6 240 quality QB does at the JUCO level vs the D-1 level? Are you that dumb? He did NOT play a significant down, unlike JS who started games at the D-1 level and played at a high level as a TRUE FRESHMAN. Show me a significant down Cam Newton played at UF? There is the difference.

There's also a difference between playing 3 games as a freshman and carrying a team through a whole season to win a championship, while putting up crazy good numbers, whether it's JuCo or D-1. Stidham has shown that he has huge promise, but that is all that he has shown.  He put up gaudy numbers in one game, against Kansas State (who went 6-7 that year), and otherwise was fairly average. 

The point is that the hype for him is ridiculous at this point. It's fine to be excited about him, but the media has turned this into the second coming and that is stupid.

30 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

There's also a difference between playing 3 games as a freshman and carrying a team through a whole season to win a championship, while putting up crazy good numbers, whether it's JuCo or D-1. Stidham has shown that he has huge promise, but that is all that he has shown.  He put up gaudy numbers in one game, against Kansas State (who went 6-7 that year), and otherwise was fairly average. 

The point is that the hype for him is ridiculous at this point. It's fine to be excited about him, but the media has turned this into the second coming and that is stupid.

You cannot COMPARE juco to d-1 football. Bo Wallace put up insane numbers in JUCO. He threw for over 4,000 passing yards and over 50 tds. He set the national JUCO record for total yards, passing yards, and TDs in a season. He was also the JUCO MVP and led his team to an NC. I consider that carrying a team. BO WALLACE. Bo Wallace was a three-star QB out of high school from Arkansas State.

JS had 2 tds/ 2 ints over 257 yards passing yards and a 59% completion rating against a playoff bound OU team in 2015 as a true freshman. I would've loved to have that average play last year, but hey that is me.

I am not disagreeing with you about the hype. I am disagreeing with you about your comparison to Cam Newton, which is an unfair comparison.

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

You cannot COMPARE juco to d-1 football. Bo Wallace put up insane numbers in JUCO. He threw for over 4,000 passing yards and over 50 tds. He set the national JUCO record for total yards, passing yards, and TDs in a season. He was also the JUCO MVP and led his team to an NC. I consider that carrying a team. BO WALLACE.

He had 2 tds/ 2 ints over 257 yards passing yards and a 59% completion rating against a playoff bound OU team in 2015 as a true freshman. I would've loved to have that average play last year, but hey that is me.

You mean Bo Wallace who averaged a 63% completion ratio and 3000 yards per year at Ole Miss, facing SEC defenses... that Bo Wallace? I'd take that. Just imagine how good he could have been had he had an actual team to play for. Freeze could have won a championship with him, had he started cheating in recruiting earlier.

2015 Oklahoma gave up 427 yards in the air to Tulsa, 253 to Texas Tech, 260 to Iowa State, 229 to TCU and 325 to Oklahoma State... In comparison, Sean had 234 yards against one of the toughest defenses in the SEC... I stand by "average".

Why do I get the feeling you're arguing just to argue on this? Do you think the world should be hyping Stidham as the next great QB before he takes a snap at Auburn?

Bo Wallace threw for 3,000 yards three consecutive seasons in the SEC and led Ole Miss (OLE MISS!?!) to a New Year's Six bowl. I'd find someone else to use as an example that JUCO stats don't translate.

I get what @DAG is saying. I personally feel like 3 games as starter in the Big 12 is a better indicator of potential future success than 12 games at JUCO. This is not meant to completely diminish somebody's production in JUCO and while leading a team throughout a championship season is definitely something to consider I think I'd rather my guy have started 3 games in the Big 12 than 12 games at a place like Last Chance U.

40 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You mean Bo Wallace who averaged a 63% completion ratio and 3000 yards per year at Ole Miss, facing SEC defenses... that Bo Wallace? I'd take that. Just imagine how good he could have been had he had an actual team to play for. Freeze could have won a championship with him, had he started cheating in recruiting earlier.

2015 Oklahoma gave up 427 yards in the air to Tulsa, 253 to Texas Tech, 260 to Iowa State, 229 to TCU and 325 to Oklahoma State... In comparison, Sean had 234 yards against one of the toughest defenses in the SEC... I stand by "average".

Why do I get the feeling you're arguing just to argue on this? Do you think the world should be hyping Stidham as the next great QB before he takes a snap at Auburn?

39 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Bo Wallace threw for 3,000 yards three consecutive seasons in the SEC and led Ole Miss (OLE MISS!?!) to a New Year's Six bowl. I'd find someone else to use as an example that JUCO stats don't translate.

When did I say being successful at the JUCO ranking would not translate to success at the D-1 level? I said you cannot compare the two. A three-star QB like Bo Wallace could dominate at the JUCO level, so should we be surprised that a 5 star QB dominated at that level? There is not enough talent or variability there to put that at the same level as someone who played and started games at the D-1 level. Bo Wallace is a quality QB, but he never played up to the same level that he did at the JUCO ranks. He never was an all-American quality player at the D1 level. Would you have guessed that based on his JUCO stats? Where is Bo Wallace now? He threw for over 3,000 yards consecutively, right? Let me tell you something. There hasn't been a QB yet under Hugh Freeze who has thrown under  2900 yards since he has been an HC with the exception of Chad Kelly (Who also dominated at the JUCO level) and that is because he got hurt. Now, Did Bo Wallace make Ole miss or did Hugh Freeze scheme make ole miss? Last time I checked, Chad Kelly, a legit 4 star QB threw for 4000 yards at Ole miss EASY in his first year in the offense with a much better TD to Int ratio.  Bo Wallace threw for over 50 TDs at the JUCO level and never threw for more than 25 at the D-1 level in a high passing offense. What does that say about Bo Wallace?

And you are right, Bo Wallace led OLE MISS?!?!?! to a new year's six bowl game. Let's see his stats: 10/29, 109 yards and 3 interceptions. Yes, let's have that at AU.

Ohhhhhh so now you want to compare a true freshman statistics to SW? 

Bo was just hired as an assistant coach at East Mississippi (his old school... Last Chance U). Since you asked where he is now.

Just now, mcgufcm said:

Bo was just hired as an assistant coach at East Mississippi (his old school... Last Chance U). Since you asked where he is now.

The same school where he had INSANE numbers? How ironic.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ohhhhhh so now you want to compare a true freshman statistics to SW? 

Sure... I'll compare a true freshman's statistics against Oklahoma's soft Big 12 D of 2015 to Sean's stats against the #2/3 D in the SEC last year, because the difference in competition does a pretty solid job of making up for the difference in experience.

And no... I'm not going to let you turn this into a is Sean better than Jarrett discussion. I've gone on record plenty of times that Jarrett brings more to the table, but I go back to the whole point I was trying to make, once again, that you keep avoiding, which is that people need to back off on the Stidham hype until he's back on the field proving himself.

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sure... I'll compare a true freshman's statistics against Oklahoma's soft Big 12 D of 2015 to Sean's stats against the #2/3 D in the SEC last year, because the difference in competition does a pretty solid job of making up for the difference in experience.

And no... I'm not going to let you turn this into a is Sean better than Jarrett discussion. I've gone on record plenty of times that Jarrett brings more to the table, but I go back to the whole point I was trying to make, once again, that you keep avoiding, which is that people need to back off on the Stidham hype until he's back on the field proving himself.

LOL I didn't bring up Cam Newton or SW. You did haha. I am just trying to figure out why do you feel the need to go out your way to compare them to him? You know SW did play against OU last year, right? And OU defense was much worst in 16 then in 15 right?  Specifically there pass defense. In fact, they were the #1 total defense in the big 12 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

LOL I didn't bring up Cam Newton or SW. You did haha. I am just trying to figure out why do you feel the need to go out your way to compare them to him? You know SW did play against OU last year, right? And OU defense was much worst in 16 then in 15 right? Specifically there pass defense.

I didn't compare them other than to say that there wasn't this much hype for Cam and Cam was far more of a wow prospect.

Sean played against OU for a drive before he broke his arm.  In that drive he fairly easily took the team down the field and scored. And yes, OU's pass D was worse last year.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I didn't compare them other than to say that there wasn't this much hype for Cam and Cam was far more of a wow prospect.

Sean played against OU for a drive before he broke his arm.  In that drive he fairly easily took the team down the field and scored. And yes, OU's pass D was worse last year.

Our running game did that but I digress . Wait a minute , the soft OU defense caused SW to break his arm?!  The same SW who went against the #2 and #3 big bad SEC defense ?! Whoooaaa

and you definitely said "in comparison look at what SW did ." That is a clear cut comparison. No clue why you have to do that .

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

and you definitely said "in comparison look at what SW did ." That is a clear cut comparison. No clue why you have to do that .

I had to do that because you said "I would've loved to have that average play last year, but hey that is me", which was an indirect swipe at Sean.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Our running game did that but I digress . Wait a minute , the soft OU defense caused SW to break his arm?!  The same SW who went against the #2 and #3 big bad SEC defen

Really?  Now you're getting ludicrous. How hard or soft the OU D is has nothing to do with what happens when you take a helmet to the arm at the wrong angle. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Yeah, I'm afraid the onus is on you, buster...

Since the other option is would involve a tiger, his stripes, and a dressing room... yea, you're probably right.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, I'm afraid the onus is on you, buster...

Yeah it's funny how people see things.  One man's wall is another man's logic.

30 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Yeah it's funny how people see things.  One man's wall is another man's logic.

Well said, and true much of the time, but I'm not sure it's applicable here. 

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I had to do that because you said "I would've loved to have that average play last year, but hey that is me", which was an indirect swipe at Sean.

Really?  Now you're getting ludicrous. How hard or soft the OU D is has nothing to do with what happens when you take a helmet to the arm at the wrong angle. 

That's the problem . You are on SW groin region so much you don't understand when I am taking a direct swipe at you calling him fairly average. Has nothing to do with SW. Dude went 12/2 , hitting over 65 percent of his passes and you are going to call him fairly average . Now that is ludicrous 

Archived