New grad assistant

aubiefifty

Auburn adds former Southern Miss QB as grad assistant, changes support staff

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Auburn has added two graduate assistants and made changes to its support staff.

Former Southern Miss quarterback Cole Weeks, who played under offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey in 2014, has joined Auburn's staff as an offensive GA.

Weeks, who made two starts in five games and threw for 761 yards with two touchdowns for the Golden Eagles in 2014, replaces Austin Tucker, who left for a GA position at Memphis.

Charles Moore, who played defensive back at Tarleton State, was added as a defensive graduate assistant.

Among the analysts, former tight ends and special teams coach Scott Fountain will have such a role if he is unable to secure an on-the-field elsewhere, Malzahn said.

As previously reported, Malzahn confirmed former Opelika high school coach Brian Blackmon has joined the staff as an analyst, joining Eric Munoz and Devin Ducote.

"We do have one more analyst position open, but I don't know when I'm going to fill it," Malzahn said. "I don't know if I'm going to fill it. But we feel good about the guys we have."

Three analysts from last season have gone elsewhere.

Rob Coleman, Malzahn's best friend, returned to his native Arkansas to be the athletic director at Cabot High School. Johnny Brewer went to UConn to join former offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee. Jeff Norrid, another longtime friend of Malzahn's, is "trying to get into the NFL," according to Malzahn.

"All three of those guys were excellent workers, they're very smart football coaches and are very good people," Malzahn said. "We really appreciate their time with us."

I think this bodes well.  Getting a lot of GM's buddies out and bringing in fresh eyes.  It encourages me that maybe GM truly is giving CL control of the offense.

Archived