Plans for wide receivers

aubiefifty

What Auburn plans to do with top 2 wide receivers out until after spring break

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Auburn's two most productive returning wide receivers will miss the start of spring practice but are expected to return after spring break.

Darius Slayton, who started 11 of 13 games and whose 292 yards lead returning receivers, had hernia surgery and Kyle Davis, the only returning wide out with two touchdowns along with 248 yards, is addressing "personal business," according to coach Gus Malzahn.

"(Slayton) will be back after spring break for spring practice," Malzahn said. "Kyle Davis is taking care of some personal business. We expect him back by spring break with the team."

Auburn will hold five practices before spring break and 10, including A-Day, after.

Eli Stove, Nate Craig-Myers and Jason Smith worked with the first-team offense and Ryan Davis, Marquis McClain and Griffin King were with the second-team during Tuesday's opening practice.

Malzahn said tight ends Jalen Harris, whose two catches last season were both touchdowns, and junior college transfer Sal Cannella will also be used in the passing game.

"The good thing is we've got quite a bit of depth," Malzahn said. "You look at last year at this time, we didn't have a whole lot of wide receiver bodies because most of the guys that played were true freshmen coming in. We do have more depth and we also have the ability to use our tight ends a little bit split out. I know Chip is planning on doing that.

"We feel real good about our receiver depth I think we've got plenty of them to develop in the spring."

Crepa needs to do his research... or stop looking for ways to start controversy.

Our top 3 returning receivers are Stove, Ryan Davis, and Will Hastings when it comes to reliability and Ryan Davis, Stove and Slayton when it comes number of targets. Kam Martin leads in yards per catch. Slayton and K. Davis only lead in total yards and but that's just because they caught some of our few completed long balls. Stove and NCM should easily be able to fill those holes until everyone is healthy/available.

I will say, I'm surprised to see Griffin King on the 2 deep, but it is just Spring.

Archived