2018 4* OT/OG William Barnes

ellitor

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have a better chance than UNC for him? I hope he commits to us along with the other 4 star OL on our radar. Tackle. This would be big and would push us up the rankings no doubt. Getting at least 2 more quality 4 star OLs would be so sweet indeed and bolster our OL for the future!

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Do we have a better chance than UNC for him?

Right this second probably not. His mom is a UNC grad. In the long run I like AU's chances for any football recruit against. In this case, especially if mom comes on the OV too.

Top-50 prospect William Barnes sets official visit, talks renewed Auburn interest

Auburn offensive line target William Barnes will officially visit.
Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country

SAN ANTONIO — For most of the 2017 calendar year, it didn’t look like Auburn had much of a shot with William Barnes.

The 4-star offensive tackle from Apopka, Fla., looked like a clear Florida lean. And despite saying in the spring he’d visit Auburn during the year, that visit never materialized. Barnes didn’t make that trip for a few reasons. He had his eyes more set on other programs at the time, and Auburn was in more regular communication with other offensive tackles.

After Auburn fell in the SEC Championship Game, offensive line coach Herb Hand restored his relationship with Barnes.

“I wasn’t always in contact with coach Hand. Either I wouldn’t be texting him or he wouldn’t be texting me. It was an on-and-off kind of thing. It picked back up after the SEC Championship Game,” Barnes told SEC Country at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. “I’m hearing from coach Hand a lot now. He’s staying in contact with me, and so am I.”

To date, Barnes has only ever visited Auburn once.

IMG_2561_chz1gt.jpg
Auburn offensive tackle William Barnes will take an official visit on Feb. 3. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

The 6-foot-4, 320-pound offensive tackle took a trip to the Plains as a junior when he attended a late November game against Alabama A&M. That was his only experience at Auburn, but it was enough to draw his interest. His initial visit played a key role in why Barnes set up an official visit with the Tigers.

Barnes will use his last official visit to Auburn on Feb. 3. He’s looking forward to his return.

“I didn’t have a chance to go down there [this year]. This will really only be my second time going up there,” Barnes said. “The first time I went up there for a visit and a game, it’s just a wonderful atmosphere. The people around there are just great. It’s just a great place to be at. And then definitely, there’s a dog that Auburn players have in them. They all have it. It’s great seeing how much they want it.”

Florida has been the perceived team to beat since the beginning. The Gators are still in this, but Barnes cited that coaching change as the main reason he wanted to wait until National Signing Day rather than use the early signing period. The Florida State coaching change has had an effect, as well, but he’s heard much more from the new Gators staff than the new Seminoles staff.

Auburn and North Carolina are the other main programs to watch, and for now, those are the only two that have official visit dates specifically set. Barnes will go to North Carolina on Jan. 12 and Auburn on Feb. 3.

The message from the Auburn staff is clear.

“It’s definitely that they want me to be a part of their family. They want me immediately,” Barnes said. “Coach Hand just tells me it’s a great place and there’s no place I’d rather be than up there. He’s going to develop me the best way he can.

I hope our OL performance in the Peach Bowl doesn't affect his decision in the other direction. Our line absolutely sucked yesterday!

29 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I hope our OL performance in the Peach Bowl doesn't affect his decision in the other direction. Our line absolutely sucked yesterday!

if anything you would think that he would go where he was needed. 

5 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

if anything you would think that he would go where he was needed. 

Hope you're right. Hope he doesn't look at it like man, that's a poorly coached o line.

14 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Hope you're right. Hope he doesn't look at it like man, that's a poorly coached o line.

I think recruits are smart enough to look at more than one game. Our line was pretty solid all year.

20 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I think recruits are smart enough to look at more than one game. Our line was pretty solid all year.

You are right to a point, but we also gotta remember they are 17-18 year old kids who are very influential and don't always make their choices based on the right criteria. Also their parents make their decisions for them sometimes (remember Cyrus Kwanjo) I know I spelled his name wrong, but that's another story.

57 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

You are right to a point, but we also gotta remember they are 17-18 year old kids who are very influential and don't always make their choices based on the right criteria. Also their parents make their decisions for them sometimes (remember Cyrus Kwanjo) I know I spelled his name wrong, but that's another story.

If that's the case then everyone will decommit from Clemson after yesterday.

Kids today are not worried about 1 game.  They are worried about getting to the next level.  AU has proven that we can get OL to the next level.  We will do it again this year with BS & AG.

Barnes should be able to see the potential for early playing time and I think we have a couple of kids from his high school that should help recruit him. I know Cox but I think we have someone else but can't remember who. We need O'linemen like we need CB's. Maybe not quite as bad but they are the ones that make our Off. go. We have a lot of good skill players but we graduate almost the whole line.

7 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Not like UNC can say much better.

19 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

I don't understand thus Twitter jargon.

It's not jargon. Just click on the link to see an impressive highlight from Barnes.

3 minutes ago, im4au said:

Do we have room for both Barnes and Montilus? 

Not right now. Will have to miss on a good # of OL for Montilus to be a take.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not right now. Will have to miss on a good # of OL for Montilus to be a take.

That's what I thought.  Good news on Gouraige could give Barnes and his parents a decision to make.  I'd sure like to see him in our class.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

KN predicted Barnes to UNC; Goss, foggy.

Yep. Gotta get Barnes here that last weekend before NSD.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:46 AM, ellitor said:

Yep. Gotta get Barnes here that last weekend before NSD.

Any progress on that? It should be hard for us to lose to NC if he really sees what we have to offer.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Any progress on that? It should be hard for us to lose to NC if he really sees what we have to offer.

This one is pretty much over. Might as well move this thread to the Rivals forum. 

Archived