2018 3* OG Ed Montilus

ellitor

SECCountry

Something about offensive linemen from Apopka

Another day, another notebook about an offensive lineman from Apopka (Fla.) High School.

On Tuesday, William Barnes — the No. 8 OT in the nation — was featured. He’s one of Auburn’s top priorities on the offensive line. It’s not guaranteed to be a package deal, but 3-star offensive lineman Ed Montilus attends the same high school and the two are close. Montilus and Barnes attended the Under Armour regional camp together.

When it comes to top schools of interest, there are many similarities between the two. Montilus doesn’t have as many offers as Barnes (yet). The 6-foot-3, 290-pound guard holds offers from Georgia Tech, Auburn, Florida Atlantic, Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee and South Florida.

But when Montilus was asked to name leaders, he didn’t hesitate.

“Auburn and Miami,” he told SEC Country.

Montilus has visited Auburn twice. The most recent time was for the Alabama A&M game in the fall.

Auburn Tigers-Auburn football-Herb Hand
Auburn OL coach Herb Hand (Kenny Moss/Special to SEC Country)

His other visit was for a summer camp (the day he was offered), which gave him a chance to receive teaching from offensive line coach Herb Hand. Montilus mentioned that experience — and what he learned about Hand on the trip — that has Auburn in such good shape during a recruitment that doesn’t have a timeline or future visits plan yet.

“Coach Hand is the main coach I talk to,” Montilus said. “He’s a great coach. I went up there for a camp. I like the way he coaches. I like the way he is.”

The No. 22 offensive guard in the nation wants to play left guard at the next level, and so far, that’s all college coaches have been recruiting him to do. Montilus doesn’t have an offer from Florida, which will likely become a favorite to land him if the Gators extend one.

For now, Auburn’s mystique captured the attention of Montilus.

“When you’re up there, it’s like family. It’s different than other schools,” Montilus said.

Barnes and Montilus both originally planned to attend Auburn’s junior day this weekend. Instead, they’ll make a separate trip later in the summer.

Archived