OC or Bust for Craig

lionheartkc

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

If you believe SB Nation, Craig has decided that he's only interested in an OC position, so he isn't going to the Ducks after all.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/2/16/14544948/dameyune-craig-oregon-coach-willie-taggart

Guess I can see that....needs to take that step up now or likely it's a number of years away.   BUT....can't see how he will end up with an OC job for the coming season unless there is an unexpected vacancy somewhere this late.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Guess I can see that....needs to take that step up now or likely it's a number of years away.   BUT....can't see how he will end up with an OC job for the coming season unless there is an unexpected vacancy somewhere this late.

Good thing for him football coaches are paid way to much. He can sit out for a few years and not even feel it in his wallet.

Well I guess Craig is gonna have to bust. I wouldn't think any OC jobs would be open this late. This is already March 2nd.

I have never made money like coaches, but from my experience you typically spend what you make.  Some guys make big bank and put some away, but I can't see him floating on for more than a year if no OC job is available.  I would say he is going to have to prove himself at an FCS before someone is going to give him that opportunity.  

But knowing some of the FANs around here I am sure they will be calling for Gus's replacement at the end of the year to be DC.  No matter # of W\L.

51 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

But knowing some of the FANs around here I am sure they will be calling for Gus's replacement at the end of the year to be DC.  No matter # of W\L.

Nah... A4E wants Tracy Rocker as our next HC.  He'll probably lobby for Craig as AD.

50 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Nah... A4E wants Tracy Rocker as our next HC.  He'll probably lobby for Craig as AD.

The truth in that post, it makes me cringe in terror.

I have to wonder if Craig's coaching career suffers from the perception of highly successful recruiting, but not much in the realm of truly notable results from his actual coaching.  You can basically waste a position coach or co-OC slot on an ace recruiter yet mediocre coach, but not the offensive coordinator itself.

37 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I have to wonder if Craig's coaching career suffers from the perception of highly successful recruiting, but not much in the realm of truly notable results from his actual coaching.  You can basically waste a position coach or co-OC slot on an ace recruiter yet mediocre coach, but not the offensive coordinator itself.

I think it might be a combination of that and very high aspirations on his part.  He thinks he's ready to be an OC, but he hasn't done much to prove to anyone he's ready, so he's dissatisfied as a position coach, probably doesn't hide it well, and as we saw at Auburn, has a tendency to overstep.

It's a little surprising, considering the generation he comes from, but I see it all the time in younger employees.  They come to me with expectations, if not demands, to move up the ladder, but when I ask them what they have done to deserve such a move, all they can point out is that they have done the minimum required of the job. Craig excels as a recruiter, but when it comes to coaching receivers, he's done the minimum required of the job... if that. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not putting the reigns of my offense in the hands of someone who's claim to fame recruiting.

42 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think it might be a combination of that and very high aspirations on his part.  He thinks he's ready to be an OC, but he hasn't done much to prove to anyone he's ready, so he's dissatisfied as a position coach, probably doesn't hide it well, and as we saw at Auburn, has a tendency to overstep.

It's a little surprising, considering the generation he comes from, but I see it all the time in younger employees.  They come to me with expectations, if not demands, to move up the ladder, but when I ask them what they have done to deserve such a move, all they can point out is that they have done the minimum required of the job. Craig excels as a recruiter, but when it comes to coaching receivers, he's done the minimum required of the job... if that. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not putting the reigns of my offense in the hands of someone who's claim to fame recruiting.

Same thoughts. I see a lot of "well in my mind I think I deserve it so give it to me." 

Speaking of recruiting, I thought I read where the new coach, Porter was also named recruiting coordinator. I thought CRG was recruiting coordinator.

6 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Speaking of recruiting, I thought I read where the new coach, Porter was also named recruiting coordinator. I thought CRG was recruiting coordinator.

Garner and Horton are both recruiting coordinators.  We now have 3. 

15 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That is exactly what I meant.  A head coach can afford to waste a position coach slot on an ace recruiter yet mediocre coach.  However, the offensive coordinator position has to be manned by someone that knows what he is doing.  In terms of his resume, I think Craig has paid dues sufficiently to warrant moving up.  Our previous offensive coordinator had less meaningful experience than Craig was when they were both hired.  That said, when you look into Craig's resume, the only notable player on it is Jameis Winston.  I suspect coaches give Jimbo Fisher the lion's share of credit for his QB's.

It would be in Craig's best interest to find an offensive coordinator position at a minor FBS or FCS program.  I think the only chance he has of becoming the offensive coordinator for a major FBS program right now is if Jimbo Fisher wanted him back at FSU, and is willing to teach him.

12 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

That is exactly what I meant.  A head coach can afford to waste a position coach slot on an ace recruiter yet mediocre coach.  However, the offensive coordinator position has to be manned by someone that knows what he is doing.  In terms of his resume, I think Craig has paid dues sufficiently to warrant moving up.  Our previous offensive coordinator had less meaningful experience than Craig was when they were both hired.  That said, when you look into Craig's resume, the only notable player on it is Jameis Winston.  I suspect coaches give Jimbo Fisher the lion's share of credit for his QB's.

It would be in Craig's best interest to find an offensive coordinator position at a minor FBS or FCS program.  I think the only chance he has of becoming the offensive coordinator for a major FBS program right now is if Jimbo Fisher wanted him back at FSU, and is willing to teach him.

Seems that Craig established himself as a recruiter in deep south....just wondering how it might go in other parts of the nation.    Looks like he has defined himself by his previous jobs and hard to see anyone out of the region taking a chance on him as an OC.  If he is patient or realistic, he should be able to land an OC job....just might not be at some Power 5 school in the southeast.  He's young enough that his first OC job does not have to be his last one....just needs to get in the "role" and do well.

Well... that's not going to make him look like he can stand as his own man, returning to the Fisher fold as a low level staffer.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Well... that's not going to make him look like he can stand as his own man, returning to the Fisher fold as a low level staffer.

I think he is expecting to be the 10th coach, or hoping for one of those co-OC slots.

Just now, Strychnine said:

I think he is expecting to be the 10th coach, or hoping for one of those co-OC slots.

Maybe... From what I've heard, Fisher didn't try very hard to keep him when Gus came calling.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Maybe... From what I've heard, Fisher didn't try very hard to keep him when Gus came calling.

If that is true, it makes little sense to bring him back.  FSU's recruiting has certainly not suffered.  That said, it would likely be wise for him to stay there and work his way up.

9 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

If that is true, it makes little sense to bring him back.  FSU's recruiting has certainly not suffered.  That said, it would likely be wise for him to stay there and work his way up.

It's not like he can legally recruit as a Quality Control Assistant.  My guess is he was without a home, burned his bridges with Gus, so he went back to the one place where he had a shot at getting something.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

It's not like he can legally recruit as a Quality Control Assistant.  My guess is he was without a home, burned his bridges with Gus, so he went back to the one place where he had a shot at getting something.

Burning bridges is an unwise practice in general, especially when it can be avoided.  It may take him a while to reach that position at FSU, and that assumes Fisher is willing to even consider it.  I still think he would have been better off pursuing an actual OC position at a lower level.

8 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Burning bridges is an unwise practice in general, especially when it can be avoided.  It may take him a while to reach that position at FSU, and that assumes Fisher is willing to even consider it.  I still think he would have been better off pursuing an actual OC position at a lower level.

I agree 100%.  I think he still thinks he's ready to be an SEC OC right now.

Archived