UGA Postgame

jared52

Wanted to be OK with the effort and I was. That last shout was absolutely, positively stupid. Inexcusably stupid. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can live with missing a wide open 3 at the end. Got a great look, good call to get an open look at the end IMO. We could've gone for 2 though. But that might be me having the benefit of hindsight. We were drilling open 3s all game. I wonder what Bruce will say about it.

I, however, have a very bitter taste in my mouth regarding the missed easy alley-oop dunk by Wiley off the pass from Purifoy with ~2 mins left.

augolf1716, you can call me a smart ass all you want to, but this team keeps right on losing. I'll be very surprised if Auburn goes to the NIT. BTW, Georgia isn't that good. They were only 17-12 coming into this game.

Just now, Tiger said:

I can live with missing a wide open 3 at the end. Got a great look, good call to get an open look at the end IMO.

I, however, have a very bitter taste in my mouth regarding the missed easy alley-oop dunk by Wiley off the pass from Purifoy with ~2 mins left.

An open 3, yeah maybe. Not a 25' shot over 3 people by someone who hasn't shot well the last 2 months. Like it's been said, drive the ball. I hope against all hope that isn't what Bruce or some other coach drew up and Harper just made a terrible freshman decision. 

Just now, auburn4ever said:

augolf1716, you can call me a smart ass all you want to, but this teams team losing. I'll be very surprised if Auburn goes to the NIT.

NIT was out a couple of games ago. 

Know they had been hitting the 3s at a good rate tonight but that was deep and no chance for a rebound and put back.....But not untypical of play most of the year.

But I do wonder what BP told them to do when he sent them back out there after the TO....and I'd bet the rent money the call was not for Harper to take that shot. At least going to the hoop...Heron perhaps ....had the possibility of a foul shot ....

I must admit I was expecting a Heron drive out of the timeout but it looked like we set up a 2 man action with Lang and Harper 

9 minutes ago, jared52 said:

No, but I think we qualify for the Big BM, or the IBD.  I can't remember the tourney name. The EDS?

Anyway aTm went last year and now they're all that. It'll be good for us.

War Eagle!

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I must admit I was expecting a Heron drive out of the timeout but it looked like we set up a 2 man action with Lang and Harper 

It did look that way...but still wonder if that was the call. 

The play had no Plan B.....once Lang was stopped, the ball ended up 25+ feet from the basket and any shot that was missed from there was going to bounce far enough away to prevent a RP or a follow up shot.  Oh well....that's how the season has looked for  the most part.  

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Up by 16 and the classic AU meltdown in the 2nd half. It's what we do...and we are good at it. :)

AU absolulty did not meltdown in the second half. They stayed in it until the very end. The last shot was inexcusable, but they fought through Frazier shooting out of his mind to put themselves in position to win. 

AU lost on the road by one to a tournament team fighting for their lives. Not a bad loss at all for this team. 

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Wanted to be OK with the effort and I was. That last shout was absolutely, positively stupid. Inexcusably stupid. 

To actually call that play by design was even worse.

Wrong! Got work to do as I outlined in the postseason thread but still in the hunt.

I hope against all hope that isn't what Bruce or some other coach drew up and Harper just made a terrible freshman decision. 

You can tell it was designed despite what anyone says. TD should not have been the out of bounds guy. It should have been an iso play for him.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

You can tell it was designed despite what anyone says. TD should not have been the out of bounds guy. It should have been an iso play for him.

Sure hope you are wrong...paying too much money to coaches to have them calling up plays like that with the game on the line. 

Best looking loss of the year for me. (I know, I know). Seriously though, UGA is a tourney team and to hang with them when things looked rough at the end was impressive. Got a look to win it 

2 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Best looking loss of the year for me. (I know, I know). Seriously though, UGA is a tourney team and to hang with them when things looked rough at the end was impressive. Got a look to win it 

The irony is that AU would be a tourney team if we would quit giving up first half leads to UGA. Pearl has been a big winner everywhere he's been and now at AU he is 15-38 in the SEC. We are overdue to move from hanging tough and coming close, to winning games. It is sad and frustrating to see our basketball and baseball programs be perennial bottom tier SEC teams. 

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Wrong! Got work to do as I outlined in the postseason thread but still in the hunt.

Dude, your optimism is astounding, but AU has fizzled in the end. That doesn't usually mean post season bids. I'm sure there are mathematical possibilities, but there are human elements to the selection and I don't see AU passing the eye test with the last few performances. 

15 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The irony is that AU would be a tourney team if we would quit giving up first half leads to UGA. Pearl has been a big winner everywhere he's been and now at AU he is 15-38 in the SEC. We are overdue to move from hanging tough and coming close, to winning games. It is sad and frustrating to see our basketball and baseball programs be perennial bottom tier SEC teams. 

I'm sure I will get plenty of flashback on this.....but no matter what BP did elsewhere...he was out of coaching a few years and a good number of our losses can legitimately be hung on the coaching.....including tonight's game.     Sure the team is young...but there are bigger issues that just youth and inexperience...especially after about 30 games.

BP needs to take a serious look at his staff.  We need his recruiting and marketing...but he needs some bench coaching help...JMO.

God I feel sick for these kids. Yes, there's been times where they haven't played with maximum effort, but as the season has progressed they have played hard. They and we deserve better in game coaching. BP needs to look at his staff. Keep Chuck for shooting, he's seemed to help us out tremendously there. But we need defensive help and more. Not calling anyone on the staff out but damn... the last play call (if it was designed) shows something. Man, I miss Tony Jones. He was really good. We need him back now. If we can increase our coaching we can be really tough next year and beyond. Heck, we've won 17 games and we're still disappointed. I'm excited but sad at the same time 

did u guys listen to the postgame? BP said the play was for  whoever got the inbounds to look to drive to the basket if lane open, if not give it back to Harper.

Watching the replay, Harper had a wide open shot. Lang had screen 2 guys after dishing it. So to say The shot was over 3 guys was not true.

The only problem I had, was that Lang is not a guy that is good handling the ball to drive it. Ofc, I felt he was going to try to give it up, as he did.

But sometimes with only one shot it is hard to get it into your best ball players...

So we play Missouri on Saturday and then will probably face them next week in the tournament. LSU won tonight so they move ahead of Mizzou. Man that's weird. I don't want to play them twice like that. Beating them back to back will be hard as hell

Archived