The Gossom Play Oldtimers

SaltyTiger

Yep.  Pushed out by defender.

Another in a long line of screw jobs against Auburn.  But, it makes it that much better when we persevere and overcome.  Think about it.  Every bad loss Bama has experienced has been to us, and they have been HEARTBREAKING!  I'd always rather be beat 40 - 0 than 17 -16.  

I was in Legion Field that day and we were the better team all day long.  That play not only cost us the game but led to a change in the rule.  

I think they still miss this call multiple times a year.  Not on us but in general.  Very few WR would just run out just to come back in.  

I was at the game happened right in front of me and it was a god awful call. Yes that was the rule at the time but the ref's seldom if ever called it. Still makes me very ill to watch it again

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I was at the game happened right in front of me and it was a god awful call. Yes that was the rule at the time but the ref's seldom if ever called it. Still makes me very ill to watch it again

I was there as well. It certainly was nothing new for us to get screwed by the officiating at Legion Field. Ahem, Stabler's run in the mud, with our defensive end being held as he turned the corner!

Watched it on television and it was tough to accept. Gargis has always been one of my all time favorite QBs. I guess that's why I remember it so vividly. I wore number 11 because of him. 

In the third quarter of the 1989 Iron Bowl, Alexander Wright was forced out and came back in to make a long catch (which was legal by then).  All I heard people saying around me was "Thomas Gossum".  We don't forget.  We still had a chance to win that 1974 game, but fumbled on a reverse after a bama turnover late in the game.

Archived