Porter's inexperience with TE's

aubiefifty

Why Gus Malzahn is not concerned about Larry Porter's inexperience coaching tight ends/H-backs

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

All but two seasons of Larry Porter's 19-year college coaching career have been spent coaching running backs. The other two were spent as a brief stint as head coach at Memphis.

So, when Porter was named Auburn's tight ends and H-backs coach on Feb. 11, the longtime assistant was taking on a new venture. Despite Porter's lack of experience coaching the positions, however, Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn had no hesitation in bringing Porter on board.

"Larry Porter, he's a football coach," Malzahn said Tuesday prior to Auburn's first day of spring practice. "He can coach any position. He's going to do a great job with that group."

Porter replaces Scott Fountain, who spent the past four seasons coaching tight ends and H-backs for Auburn. Fountain is currently searching for another on-field coaching opportunity at another program but could return to Auburn as an analyst if that doesn't pan out.

Porter inherits a position room that has hardly been a focal point of Auburn's offense during Malzahn's tenure on the Plains.

Who is Larry Porter? 10 things to know about Auburn's new H-backs/tight ends coach

Who is Larry Porter? 10 things to know about Auburn's new H-backs/tight ends coach

Auburn hired former UNC running backs coach and special teams coordinator Larry Porter as an assistant coach on Saturday.

In Malzahn's four years, H-backs and tight ends have recorded a combined 42 receptions for 520 yards and 10 touchdowns. No Auburn tight end recorded a catch in 2015, while Kamryn Pettway -- then playing H-back -- had one 12-yard reception and Chandler Cox had three receptions for 25 yards. Last season, Cox had four receptions for 41 yards as an H-back, while tight end Jalen Harris recorded two catches for 16 yards and two touchdowns.

At the same time, H-backs have recorded just eight rushing attempts during the last four seasons, with seven of them coming last season courtesy of Cox.

Auburn is expected to get the H-backs and tight ends more involved in the offense this season under first-year offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey, who has a track record of utilizing the positions more effectively in the passing game.

Lindsey's familiarity with the positions and how to implement them into the offense is a big reason why Malzahn isn't concerned about Porter's lack of experience coaching the positions.

Spring could indicate how Auburn will use tight ends in 2017

Spring could indicate how Auburn will use tight ends in 2017

Auburn has two tight ends and spring will be a first glimpse into exactly how much offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey will look to incorporate them in the passing game.

"Chip has a lot of experience emphasizing that position, throwing to tight ends," Malzahn said. "I'm really looking forward to watching that position develop in the spring. We've got a good plan to get those guys more involved."

Cox admitted he was surprised when he found out Fountain, who is under contract at Auburn through June, was relieved of his duties as position coach, but added that he was excited to learn Porter would be joining the staff to take over the position.

"He's a super good guy and he knows what he's doing, and he's just super motivated," Cox said. "I talked to Coach Porter and told him I want him to push me to a level where I haven't been. Just push me and don't be afraid to yell at me, because I love being yelled at. I know that's kind of weird, but that just makes me a better football player and makes me a better person."

I'm gona pick out a positive.  Maybe he is our best offensive  coach and they are putting him where we need him the most.

Because, at this point  in their careers, our tight ends don't hsve a frigging clue what to do if a pass might by chance be thrown there way.

And If coach Lindsey is actually going to emphasize  the position, we'll we have a lot of ground to make up.

12 hours ago, 1913-14 said:

As little as we have used them...does it really matter?

It does if we are going to use them more than in the past. Lindsey's history shows he does use them more, so it is important they become better at running routes and catching the ball in traffic, and using better TE techniques.

So yep...(and Lindsey will help more with that, as others have noted)...

12 hours ago, amsterjam said:

I could see him coaching running backs next year. No inside info, just reading the tea leaves.

What it appears to me is that Chip is building a collaborative coaching staff on O, where each coach is capable of having input into multiple areas. I don't see us removing one of the most successful running back coaches in the NCAA unless he leaves for an OC gig or something. What I do see is Porter helping him, since his time is now split with the Special Teams (which I expect to see serious improvement from, with our top backs coach working with the returners).

On March 3, 2017 at 10:18 AM, lionheartkc said:

What it appears to me is that Chip is building a collaborative coaching staff on O, where each coach is capable of having input into multiple areas. I don't see us removing one of the most successful running back coaches in the NCAA unless he leaves for an OC gig or something. What I do see is Porter helping him, since his time is now split with the Special Teams (which I expect to see serious improvement from, with our top backs coach working with the returners).

Well of course we're not going to run him off but he has flirted with leaving the last couple of off seasons.

Somebody who has been in college coaching as long as Porter knows how to coach all positions. Just because he has only coached RB's doesn't mean he hasn't been around TE's and other coaches who taught TE's. I am sure with all the years he has been in coaching he has learned a lot about all positions. I am not worried about that and I am excited by what people say about his recruiting skills.

Archived