Possible position change for JFIII

aubiefifty

ledger-enquirer.com

Gus Malzahn hints at possible position change for John Franklin III

By Michael Niziolekmniziolek@ledger-enquirer.com

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn isn’t committed to keeping John Franklin III at quarterback for the duration of spring practice.

Malzahn previously shot the scenario down, but that’s not what happened when he was asked about it again Tuesday.

“He’s going to start out at quarterback, and he’ll get reps today and tomorrow at quarterback along with the other four guys,” Malzahn said.

Malzahn stressed the importance of quickly narrowing the field in Auburn’s quarterback competition to consolidate the reps to a “handful of guys.”

What happens if Franklin isn’t part of that group?

“John is open to helping the team with whatever, but we just felt strong that he should start out and try to win the job at quarterback, and so that’s what we’ll do,” Malzahn said.

Franklin worked as a gunner on special teams Tuesday during the portion of practice open to the media, but Malzahn didn’t discuss what Franklin’s role might be if he falls out of the quarterback race.

The former junior college transfer was 27 of 47 for 312 yards last year with a touchdown and two interceptions. He was more effective running the ball with 46 carries for 430 yards with two touchdowns.

Franklin only made one start, but played in all 13 games, seeing the field mostly as a wildcat quarterback and helping close out blowout wins.

When Franklin’s number was called in the Sugar Bowl, he had high hopes of leading Auburn to victory, but cramping in his throwing arm cut the opportunity short.

“I was real angry,” Franklin said after the game. “I was mad because my opportunity was here and I couldn’t do anything with it. I was feeling real good coming in here at halftime, ready to go (back) in and that made me real frustrated.”

Franklin has publicly committed to staying at Auburn for his final year of eligibility twice, but he’s qualified those comments in each case adding his plans “as of now” and “for now” playing his last season on the Plains.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Cramping in his throwing arm is all I got out of this article 

I can imagine the Monday morning meetings at all of the publications surrounding Auburn.

Editor - We need stories on Auburn's Spring Practice. I want at least one a day

Reporters (thinking to themselves in a mild panic) - But I only follow bama. Crap! I gotta find some old articles that I can rip stuff off from, fast.

I think Franklin is a track guy who is trying to play football.  He might be able to become a receiver or a DB, but that's about it. Thanks for trying, John. 

maybe YOU guys need to post some articles you find adequate for us to read? at least i am trying.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

maybe YOU guys need to post some articles you find adequate for us to read? at least i am trying.

What are you talking about ?

my point is instead of thanking me for the work i put in on these articles many want to bash content or where they came from. a lot of work goes into me trying to provide new articles to read and it is frustrating. as an example if an article does not have the book icon to click on it takes a while to delete all the other mess when i cut and paste so that no one has to dig through all that mess to read the article. and yes my puter skillz suck but i still make the attempt. and the lets make something up reflects on me as well for posting the article right? it might not be what you meant but it can be seen both ways. i am not angry. i just think thirty minutes to an hour digging up new articles to help the board would be better received. and yes for the record i have been bashed and others have seen it so i apologize if i jumped the gun.

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

my point is instead of thanking me for the work i put in on these articles many want to bash content or where they came from. a lot of work goes into me trying to provide new articles to read and it is frustrating. as an example if an article does not have the book icon to click on it takes a while to delete all the other mess when i cut and paste so that no one has to dig through all that mess to read the article. and yes my puter skillz suck but i still make the attempt. and the lets make something up reflects on me as well for posting the article right? it might not be what you meant but it can be seen both ways. i am not angry. i just think thirty minutes to an hour digging up new articles to help the board would be better received. and yes for the record i have been bashed and others have seen it so i apologize if i jumped the gun.

I appreciate you posting these articles 50! Easier than trying to look elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I think Franklin is a track guy who is trying to play football.  He might be able to become a receiver or a DB, but that's about it. Thanks for trying, John. 

If I remember correctly there was an article that talked about before he went to FSU that talked about those closest to him wanted him to switch to DB in college bc it seemed like a better fit. I can't remember the article right off the top of my head tho.

22 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Huh, I am confused . I am not a very indirect guy . If I thought the article was stupid , I would call it As such . Actually I probably wouldn't even had commented on it . I was picking fun at John for being so angry at those arm cramps .

Franklin's best option is to switch positions. I do not think he can beat out any of the other QB's, not even Willis. Maybe he can return punts and kickoffs? I mean I am not sure what position he could be moved to. I guess it depends on his hands. If he can catch then maybe receiver? If not, maybe DB with his speed? What position would be most ideal to his stature? 

I'd like to see him on a jet sweep or in the KJ spot in the wildcat.  I feel like we waste wildcat plays by not trying to throw out of them some of the time.  DB would help from a depth standpoint.

I wasn't for JF3 moving to another position this past season due to the fact we had no back up QB. New season...new changes. We should be good with SW, Woody and Willis as backups. Let JF3 play a little slot and change of pace RB plays. Basically a "slash" role to get him 4-5 touches a game.

I certainly don't want to see him going in regarding changing out QBs. It would be more effective to leave in JS with JF3 lining up at WR or RB or in motion if we want to add a different wrinkle to get JF3 a couple touches or executing trick plays. If we can use him in that manner than i'd be for that. 

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Easy fifty. No one is saying anything against you and everyone appreciates you bringing us new reading material every day. Even if the writer did a crap job, it lets us know what's out there and saves everyone from having to look around. You have to stop taking negative comments about what someone else wrote as personal attacks on you for posting the article.  They aren't.

You also have to admit that a lot of our beat writers are phoning it in this Spring.

If fall rolls around with Franklin still on the depth chart at QB, I will become convinced that someone in the decision-making process is clinically stupid.  He is clearly not an SEC QB, and letting him sit on the bench pretending to be one is wasting his obvious talent.  They should focus his coaching on ball skills and find ways to get the ball to him in space.  The threat of his speed alone can have a spread effect on the defense.  That said, I would prefer he not be used as a wildcat QB.  I would also prefer that no one be used as a wildcat QB.

58 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Easy fifty. No one is saying anything against you and everyone appreciates you bringing us new reading material every day. Even if the writer did a crap job, it lets us know what's out there and saves everyone from having to look around. You have to stop taking negative comments about what someone else wrote as personal attacks on you for posting the article.  They aren't.

You also have to admit that a lot of our beat writers are phoning it in this Spring.

yes heart i can be paranoid. partly cus i have been banged on here a couple of times and even called creepy. this is why i said if i was wrong then apologies. for the record i enjoy reading what you and dag both have to say. i love the board and most of the peeps for what it is worth and i just took it maybe i was posting bull. but once again apologies. i might be paranoid but i will stand up and be a man and apologize when i am wrong. so thanks for understanding.

17 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

If fall rolls around with Franklin still on the depth chart at QB, I will become convinced that someone in the decision-making process is clinically stupid.  He is clearly not an SEC QB, and letting him sit on the bench pretending to be one is wasting his obvious talent.  They should focus his coaching on ball skills and find ways to get the ball to him in space.  The threat of his speed alone can have a spread effect on the defense.  That said, I would prefer he not be used as a wildcat QB.  I would also prefer that no one be used as a wildcat QB.

KJ is actually pretty effective in the wildcat. He had 11 rushing TDs last year- 4 more than the next guy- and most of them came off direct snaps in the RZ. 

Completely agree on all the rest, though. If Franklin can catch *at all* then we should have him running go routes a few times a game. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Cramping in his throwing arm is all I got out of this article 

All I got out of it is the Ledger hires dudes whose name wouldn't fit on the back of a jersey.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

KJ is actually pretty effective in the wildcat. He had 11 rushing TDs last year- 4 more than the next guy- and most of them came off direct snaps in the RZ. 

Completely agree on all the rest, though. If Franklin can catch *at all* then we should have him running go routes a few times a game. 

I like tempo, so I hate the substitutions for the wildcat.

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Burn the wildcat 

38 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

This. I am utterly sick of the wildcat . Way too gimmicky and was only used because the previous OC inability to maximize SW talent in the RZ.

Just now, Strychnine said:

Gotcha. The substitutions are very purpose defeating. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Burn the wildcat 

I could live with its very infrequent use as a trick play when you happen to have the right situation.  It should not be a staple of an offense.

53 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

yes heart i can be paranoid. partly cus i have been banged on here a couple of times and even called creepy. this is why i said if i was wrong then apologies. for the record i enjoy reading what you and dag both have to say. i love the board and most of the peeps for what it is worth and i just took it maybe i was posting bull. but once again apologies. i might be paranoid but i will stand up and be a man and apologize when i am wrong. so thanks for understanding.

No worries, brother.  You're doing an excellent job of keeping this place extra lively during the off season. :cheers:

Archived