"no timetable" naming stating QB

aubiefifty

How soon could Auburn name its starting quarterback?

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

If you're expecting a quick decision to Auburn's quarterback competition this spring, you'll likely be disappointed.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said there is "no timetable" for naming a starter for the 2017 season and "very seriously" doubts that decision will be made within six weeks.

With returning starter Sean White limited for at least part if not all of spring practice and Jarrett Stidham the presumptive favorite to win the job, a head-to-head battle between the two signal callers may not happen until fall camp; not to mention the other four quarterbacks on the roster.

"Obviously we want to make sure that all positions we put the best player out there, so there's no timetable as far as naming, really any position or quarterback," Malzahn said. "But we are sensitive to the fact that Sean is going to have a hard time going through spring. We'll cross that bridge when we get there."

So is it possible to make the call after 14 more practices? Don't count on it.

"I doubt that. I doubt that very seriously, but at the same time Chip will have a recommendation and we'll go from there."

When he's had a competition, Malzahn has named a starting quarterback at the end of spring practice just twice in his college coaching career, in 2010 with Cam Newton and 2015 with Jeremy Johnson. Over the past decade, both Malzahn's personal history as well as Auburn's has been for quarterback battles to carry into fall camp.

Still, a five-man field is not expected to last long into spring.

Stidham has fit in "just fine," according to his roommate Chandler Cox, who said the former Baylor quarterback is constantly in the film room.

Malzahn admitted it's not realistic and given Tyler Queen's lack of playing time and that Malik Willis is a true freshman, their candidacies are the most likely to be short-lived. Even returning backup John Franklin III is only being assured one more practice at quarterback, with a position change sounding increasingly likely.

Woody Barrett has an appealing physical skill set but also lacks experience and seems to be a long shot, at best, but should stay in the rotation as to be a viable third option as offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey installs his offense and evaluates Auburn's personnel.

"I would say it's probably a little more accelerated pace to evaluate the quarterbacks," Malzahn said. "The goal is after the first week that Chip will have a good idea of at least their talent and where they're at from an experience or mental standpoint so he can make some decisions to start repping just a handful of guys instead of five. That's by design.

"At the same time, he's coming into this thing new and he wants to give everybody a chance to compete, to win jobs. That's his approach."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love it if he would just grab the podium, look the reporter square in the eye and say, "We just started Spring practice. We have new players all over the field, a new OC and a new offensive scheme. We have a lot to figure out.  When we decide we've found the right guy to run our new offense, we might or might not let you know, but you can be sure I'm not going to put myself or my staff on some arbitrary deadline to make that decision."

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I would love it if he would just grab the podium, look the reporter square in the eye and say, "We just started Spring practice. We have new players all over the field, a new OC and a new offensive scheme. We have a lot to figure out.  When we decide we've found the right guy to run our new offense, we might or might not let you know, but you can be sure I'm not going to put myself or my staff on some arbitrary deadline to make that decision."

I like this. Maybe you could prep Malzhan for his press conferences. 

Just now, gr82be said:

I like this. Maybe you could prep Malzhan for his press conferences. 

He'd just look at me quizzically and walk away.

I don't see Malzahn naming a starter till game week and even then I could see Sean and Stidham sharing snaps to see who looks best.  Definitely a better situation than last season.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

I don't see Malzahn naming a starter till game week and even then I could see Sean and Stidham sharing snaps to see who looks best.  Definitely a better situation than last season.

Sharing snaps is a recipe for disaster. Pick a starter and trust him .

Is Queen finally healthy and full strength?  Dude is in his 3rd year coming up right?  Is he viable as a backup option or is he pretty much done as a realistic competitor at QB?  Asking because I'm not hearing or reading much about how he's doing in off season or now spring practice.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Sharing snaps is a recipe for disaster. Pick a starter and trust him .

Agreed, but I definitely expect to see both in game 1. Georgia Southern should be an empty the bench kind of game.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Agreed, but I definitely expect to see both in game 1. Georgia Southern should be an empty the bench kind of game.

Does that mean Pettway won't get 40 carries against them?

Just now, oracle79 said:

Is Queen finally healthy and full strength?  Dude is in his 3rd year coming up right?  Is he viable as a backup option or is he pretty much done as a realistic competitor at QB?  Asking because I'm not hearing or reading much about how he's doing in off season or now spring practice.

We may never know, since his issues are medical and they can't release details.  The fact that he rarely comes up when the coaches are talking about QB makes me think that they have determined that he just can't take it physically, or that one of his injuries did not heal well enough for him to be an effective QB.  I expect to see him get some mop-up work, on occasion, as a thank you for his efforts.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree with this . Should be a blow out . 

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Dear God I hope not! Look i get not building up astronomical hype for JS... BUT unless JS falls flat on his face in Spring there is no way he shouldn't be starting. I'm not one that thinks JS is the 2nd coming of Cam but kid is clearly above average. There should be no question going into game 1 who our starter should be. Heck...even coming out of camp.

I'm 100% fine if Gus doesn't name a starter until we run out on the field for game one but JS better be getting as many snaps as he can to be our starter. You don't go all in on a player like that to have him "compete" especially when your previous starter is not even going to participate in Spring and is injury prone. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

Dear God I hope not! Look i get not building up astronomical hype for JS... BUT unless JS falls flat on his face in Spring there is no way he shouldn't be starting. I'm not one that thinks JS is the 2nd coming of Cam but kid is clearly above average. There should be no question going into game 1 who our starter should be. Heck...even coming out of camp.

I'm 100% fine if Gus doesn't name a starter until we run out on the field for game one but JS better be getting as many snaps as he can to be our starter. You don't go all in on a player like that to have him "compete" especially when your previous starter is not even going to participate in Spring and is injury prone. 

They won't name a starter until week 1 , that is Gus's thing , but there is no way I am believing chip Lindsey won't have his guy picked by fall. Doubt he will do the musical chairs .

5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not much in regards to report but he posted on his IG page yesterday that he was glad to back on the field with his brothers. I don't think we'll find out what TQ can and can't do unless he goes live. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

They won't name a starter until week 1 , that is Gus's thing , but there is no way I am believing chip Lindsey won't have his guy picked by fall. Doubt he will do the musical chairs .

Oh i know it's his thing. That's why i said i honestly don't care if he names a starter before we step on the field for our first game. My concern is that JS should be getting  majority of the snaps. I know how Gus is and don't bother to listen to him much anymore. But regarding information we may get from insiders during spring...i don't want to hear the drawn out splitting snaps go on too long at QB. Get your guy and get moving. And it's clear who that guy is. 

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

He'd just look at me quizzically and walk away.

He might tell you, "Well we did have a good first day of practice"

Move Queen to TE to use his size.  Move Franklin to Wildcat and Kick Return to use his speed.  Redshirt Willis.  Continue to bring Woody along as the future.  Sean and Stidham become 1A and 1B at this point with the order to be decided two weeks before the first game.   Of course, an injury could change everything among the top 3.  

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

Move Queen to TE to use his size.  Move Franklin to Wildcat and Kick Return to use his speed.  Redshirt Willis.  Continue to bring Woody along as the future.  Sean and Stidham become 1A and 1B at this point with the order to be decided two weeks before the first game.   Of course, an injury could change everything among the top 3.  

Can franklin field a kick? There is an art to it. I do think that they need to get him use to splitting out and motioning. Use him for more than just a double pass. With his speed alone he would be a viable option even as a decoy.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That is kinda what he said.

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

Can franklin field a kick? There is an art to that . I do that they need to get him use to splitting out and motioning . Use him for more than just a double pass. With his speed alone he would be a viable option even as a decoy .

A news snippet that I saw the other day said he, along with KJ, was working with the punt return team, but went into no detail.

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

Can franklin field a kick? There is an art to that . I do that they need to get him use to splitting out and motioning . Use him for more than just a double pass. With his speed alone he would be a viable option even as a decoy .

Agree.

The thought of JF3 fielding punt returns would scare the heck out of me and excite me at the same time. Scare me in regards to ball security and excite me in the fact that he has the ability to take it for a TD each time he touches the football. I could handle him returning kickoffs though b/c he'd have more time to survey the field. 

7 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree.

The thought of JF3 fielding punt returns would scare the heck out of me and excite me at the same time. Scare me in regards to ball security and excite me in the fact that he has the ability to take it for a TD each time he touches the football. I could handle him returning kickoffs though b/c he'd have more time to survey the field. 

I'd argue that we probably have 5 guys with better hips- just throwing out names here, but Stove, R. Davis, K. Martin, J. Davis/C. Davis/J. Dean, maybe Alaric Williams?- vision and possibly ball security who may give up a tenth of a second or two in straight line speed but who are likely better suited to return kicks. That's why I'm pushing for him to move to WR. He can loosen up a defense. If he can actually catch a ball, it's six. Several NFL teams have kept a guy like him on the roster- Heyward Bey comes to mind- just for that. Low risk, high reward. 

Heyward-Bey, the guy who is second in Maryland school history in yards, third in receptions and third in touchdowns. Exactly like JF3.

Archived