Attorney General casually perjures himself

homersapien

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/01/politics/jeff-sessions-russian-ambassador-meetings/

"In his confirmation hearing to become attorney general, Sessions was asked about Russia and he responded at the time that he "did not have communications with the Russians."

All he had to do is issue a correction after his hearing admitting he had these conversations.  He couldn't possibly have forgotten he had them after what happened to Flynn for the same thing.

He needs to go.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Flynn, it would have been wise for the Trump administration to get ahead of the issue of Russian contacts with prompt disclosures.

7 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

After Flynn, it would have been wise for the Trump administration to get ahead of the issue of Russian contacts with prompt disclosures.

Absolutely.  That's pretty much always the case.

Why don't you tell the class what the Senator was ACTUALLY asked, and not just what the FAKE NEWS media are reporting , hmmm ? 

42 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Why don't you tell the class what the Senator was ACTUALLY asked, and not just what the FAKE NEWS media are reporting , hmmm ? 

Unless you have the actual questions or anything that disputes the account, then you are simply flapping your lips whenever you bring up Fake News. If you have evidence that this story is manufactured, then present it.

44 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Jan 10, 2017. A hearing on Sessions’s nomination to serve as attorney general is held by the Senate Judiciary Committee. Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) asks about a CNN report on Russian ties to the Trump campaign that came out that day.

FRANKEN: CNN just published a story alleging that the intelligence community provided documents to the president-elect last week, that included information that “Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump.” These documents also allegedly say “there was a continuing exchange of information during the campaign between Trump surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government.” Again, I’m telling you this as it’s coming out, so, you know.

But if it’s true, it’s obviously extremely serious, and if there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign, what will you do?

SESSIONS: Senator Franken, I’m not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians, and I’m unable to comment on it.

FRANKEN: Very well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/03/02/what-jeff-sessions-said-about-russia-and-when/?utm_term=.5ac67bee0ff3

Sorry homie, there's not THERE there. At all

Sessions was asked by Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., how he would respond "if there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign."

“I’m not aware of any of those activities,” answered Sessions, one of Trump’s earliest and most prominent supporters during the campaign. “I have been called a surrogate a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians, and I’m unable to comment on it.”

The Justice Department said Wednesday that "there was absolutely nothing misleading about [Sessions'] answer [to Franken]. He was asked during the hearing about communications between Russia and the Trump campaign--not about meetings he took as a senator and a member of the Armed Services Committee."

Sessions had meetings last year with more than 25 foreign ambassadors, the Department said.

Sessions did not say he hadn't had ANY contact with the Russians. That would be pretty dumb since the Russian ambassador as well as other ambassadors openly visited Sessions office in the Senate in broad daylight.  What he said was he had not discussed the presidential campaigns with Russians. As a member of the Armed Forces Committee it was commonplace for him to talk to officials of other countries. Was he supposed to quit doing his job as a Senator before he was confirmed as AG? He was my Senator and I say no. Nothing here, just another Dim desperate attempt to avoid the reality of losing the election.

I presented the actual transcript from the hearing.

You are presenting the Justice Department's spin on it, as if that somehow disproves the actual transcript.

Sorry, but it doesn't.  

Does this really need explaining?

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Sessions di not say he hadn't had ANY contact with the Russians. That would be pretty dumb since the Russian ambassador as well as other ambassadors visited Sessions office in the Senate. What he said was he had not discussed the presidential campaigns with Russians. As a member of the Armed Forces Committee it was commonplace for him to talk to officials of other countries. Was he supposed to quit doing his job as a Senator before he was confirmed as AG? He was my Senator and I say no. Nothing here, just another Dim desperate attempt to avoid the reality of losing the election.

Not true.  From the transcript of Sessions' confirmation hearing:

(January 10, 2017)

SEN. AL FRANKEN: "If there was any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this (2016) campaign, what would you do?," the Minnesota Democrat asked.

SESSIONS: "I'm not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians." 

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Sessions did not say he hadn't had ANY contact with the Russians. That would be pretty dumb since the Russian ambassador as well as other ambassadors visited Sessions office in the Senate. What he said was he had not discussed the presidential campaigns with Russians. As a member of the Armed Forces Committee it was commonplace for him to talk to officials of other countries. Was he supposed to quit doing his job as a Senator before he was confirmed as AG? He was my Senator and I say no. Nothing here, just another Dim desperate attempt to avoid the reality of losing the election.

You folks are fascinating.   

He said:

"I did not have communications with the Russians."

He had 6 weeks to set the record straight and did nothing. Maybe he's just too stupid to be AG.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Not true.  From the transcript of Sessions' confirmation hearing:

And he clarified that he has clarified that he didn't have discussions about the CAMPAIGN. If this some wrong doing on Session's part why is it jus now being brought up?

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

And he clarified that he has clarified that he didn't have discussions about the CAMPAIGN.

That wasn't the question he was asked and it wasn't the response he gave.  

You are right but he later clarified, as I said, that he didn't discuss the campaign. So what's the problem here other than Dims looking for something to be critical about?

You are right but he later clarified, as I said, that he didn't discuss the campaign. So what's the problem here other than Dims looking for something to be critical about?

You can't be serious that this shouldn't raise at least some questions about it.  You can't have the Russian government hacking into one of the two major political party's network, leaking emails and such to possibly influence the election, then not have communication between the Trump campaign and Russian officials not raise eyebrows.

Sessions stupidly added the "surrogate " tag to himself when it was completely unnecessary. That only confused the issue, but the fact remains he was never a member of the Clinton campaign team. 

1 minute ago, AURaptor said:

Sessions stupidly added the "surrogate " tag to himself when it was completely unnecessary. That only confused the issue, but the fact remains he was never a member of the Clinton campaign team. 

Red herring. 

And I think you meant to say Trump campaign.  He certainly campaigned for Trump.  Wouldn't that make him part of the "campaign team"?

Ok so let's appoint a special prosecutor that will cover the whole string of intertwined issues from Hillary's e-mail scandal to the current accusations.

Ok so let's appoint a special prosecutor that will cover the whole string of intertwined issues from Hillary's e-mail scandal to the current accusations.

Try again.  Whatever happened or didn't happen with Hillary's emails has no bearing on whether the Russia stuff should be looked at.  That's just deflection.  And typical.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Try again.  Whatever happened or didn't happen with Hillary's emails has no bearing on whether the Russia stuff should be looked at.  That's just deflection.  And typical.

How do you know? Can you say for a fact the Russians didn't hack her e-mails? Not intended as a deflection but it draws yout typical MO of being unable to be civil for long. What would be wrong with expanding the current FBI of Hillary's e-mails to include all contact with the Russians and see if there is in fact any connections?

8 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

So, he admitted that he actually lied during the hearing, and that's what you call a "clarification"?    

Sounds to me more like one of those "alternative facts".   ;D

How do you know? Can you say for a fact the Russians didn't hack her e-mails? Not intended as a deflection but it draws yout typical MO of being unable to be civil for long.

I'm not being uncivil.  I'm just over this tactic of anytime things get a little uncomfortable for the "good guys" there has to be some sort of diversion into "bbbbbbut Obama/Hillary/Holder/<insert Dem here>!!!"

We've investigated the Russian hacking.  We've investigated Hillary's emails servers six ways from Saturday.  There's nothing more to be found.  The pertinent issue at the moment is the Trump campaign and their communication with the Russians even as the Russians were apparently leaking hacked emails and such to damage Hillary.

25 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

And he clarified that he has clarified that he didn't have discussions about the CAMPAIGN. If this some wrong doing on Session's part why is it jus now being brought up?

Seems like a whole lot of "clarification" going on all of a sudden now the facts come out.

The transcript seems clear enough to me.

11 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

That works for me. 

Special prosecutors can pursue whatever trails they like, remember?

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm not being uncivil.  I'm just over this tactic of anytime things get a little uncomfortable for the "good guys" there has to be some sort of diversion into "bbbbbbut Obama/Hillary/Holder/<insert Dem here>!!!"

We've investigated the Russian hacking.  We've investigated Hillary's emails servers six ways from Saturday.  There's nothing more to be found.  The pertinent issue at the moment is the Trump campaign and their communication with the Russians even as the Russians were apparently leaking hacked emails and such to damage Hillary.

Unless I'm wrong there is still an ongoing FBI inverstgation involving Hillary's e-mail issues. Why not expand that to cover the whole broad issue of Russian hacking, official's contact with Russians, and any discussions about the election/campaign?

Archived