DeSean Murray. How good is he?

GwillMac6

I know next to nothing about him except he scored a lot of points for the blue hose. Do we expect him to be a big part of the team next year and a big contributor?

I know nothing about him but word around the board has been that he's a post player in a wing player's body...I don't particularly like that combination at all, considering our needs, but that is not to say he can't help us in some capacity. 

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I know next to nothing about him except he scored a lot of points for the blue hose. Do we expect him to be a big part of the team next year and a big contributor?

As a scorer I don't think so. As a hustler & undersized rebounder I think so.

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I know nothing about him but word around the board has been that he's a post player in a wing player's body...I don't particularly like that combination at all, considering our needs, but that is not to say he can't help us in some capacity. 

We need more slashers that is for sure. Only Heron and Dunans can get to the rim consistently with quality looks and dunans is gone after this season. Harper can get to the rim but he just does not know how to adjust yet to the sec size in the lane and finish. I really hope he is a good defender I mean it is not the biggest secret in the world we have next to no perimeter defenders on this team.

He needs to be our next Bowers who can rebound, hustle, lead, play D. We don't need him to score, we have enough guys who can do that

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

As a scorer I don't think so. As a hustler & undersized rebounder I think so.

I can dig it. I will take that!

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We need more slashers that is for sure. Only Heron and Dunans can get to the rim consistently with quality looks and dunans is gone after this season. Harper can get to the rim but he just does not know how to adjust yet to the sec size in the lane and finish. I really hope he is a good defender I mean it is not the biggest secret in the world we have next to no perimeter defenders on this team.

FWIW I think Davion will be the slasher for the team next year & do it consistently making the whole team better & more dynamic.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW I think Davion will be the slasher for the team next year & do it consistently making the whole team better & more dynamic.

his tape is incredible. his first step is ridiculous. I could def see this.

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You're right and I'd add Purifoy to the skilled drivers list if he actually attempted to do it consistently. He is so skilled but puts a limit on his game when he just sits out by the 3 point line and downgrades himself to spot-up shooter. Especially with him being a below average defender we need him to put more pressure on the defense to make up for the lack of D he brings to the table. IMO it's not a question of whether or not he can do it but if he simply does it or not.

Just now, Tiger said:

You're right and I'd add Purifoy to the skilled drivers list if he actually attempted to do it consistently. He is so skilled but puts a limit on his game when he just sits out by the 3 point line and downgrades himself to spot-up shooter. Especially with him being a below average defender we need him to put more pressure on the defense to make up for the lack of D he brings to the table. IMO it's not a question of whether or not he can do it but if he simply does it or not.

YES! THIS! THIS! THIS! he refuses to drive. it. is. infuriating!!!!!!!!!!!! He is a glorified shooter at this point. Yah he has a really good shot but he has so much more to offer this offense. Its not like bryce brown where all he can do is shoot. We were told purifoy is our best pro prospect on the team but I think it is def heron. He can get his shot whenever he wants off the bounce.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

YES! THIS! THIS! THIS! he refuses to drive. it. is. infuriating!!!!!!!!!!!! He is a glorified shooter at this point. Yah he has a really good shot but he has so much more to offer this offense. Its not like bryce brown where all he can do is shoot. We were told purifoy is our best pro prospect on the team but I think it is def heron. He can get his shot whenever he wants off the bounce.

Agree 100% on everything you said. When Purifoy is not attacking he's a slightly better version of TJ Lang out there. When he is attacking he looks like a guy that can play in the NBA. I wonder if his injury affected his confidence or what but he is not the same guy that was dropping 20+ earlier in the year.

And for the life of me I can't figure out why we don't get the ball to Heron or Purifoy against a zone right below the FT line.  Esp Heron. Both guys are skilled enough to have Marquis Daniels vs Syracuse in '03-type affect against a zone but for some reason nobody knows how to cut to that spot on the floor. Shoot, even Dunans has enough playmaking ability to make the defense help towards him and him finding the open man OK I'm starting to drift off topic now I'll stop.

24 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You're right and I'd add Purifoy to the skilled drivers list if he actually attempted to do it consistently. He is so skilled but puts a limit on his game when he just sits 

Ironically out of high school slashing was his game. He developed his 3 late in high school & RS year here. Would have loved to see any of UGA's 4s try to stop him on a drive at the end of the game. Good luck on that pups.

31 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Agree 100% on everything you said. When Purifoy is not attacking he's a slightly better version of TJ Lang out there. When he is attacking he looks like a guy that can play in the NBA. I wonder if his injury affected his confidence or what but he is not the same guy that was dropping 20+ earlier in the year.

And for the life of me I can't figure out why we don't get the ball to Heron or Purifoy against a zone right below the FT line.  Esp Heron. Both guys are skilled enough to have Marquis Daniels vs Syracuse in '03-type affect against a zone but for some reason nobody knows how to cut to that spot on the floor. Shoot, even Dunans has enough playmaking ability to make the defense help towards him and him finding the open man OK I'm starting to drift off topic now I'll stop.

haha no this is good. this is therapeutic.

i'm hoping this guy can teach everyone else a lesson in "want to". We need more guys that are willing to do the dirty work. I'm hoping this guy fits that mold. He wants to play defense and he wants to rebound the basketball. 

So Purifoys lack of driving/defensive effort was almost certainly related to playing very injured. Typical recovery from high ankle sprains are 4-6 weeks for athletes

Seems to fit nicely with the stats on Purifoy's inside offensive game

Average Purifoy 2FG Attempts Per Game 

Pre Inj - 4 Att/Game  
"6WK Recovery Period 8 Games"- 0.75 Att/Game  
Last 5 Games - 5 Att/Game

FT/game

First 7 games back  -0.7FT/gm

Last 6 games - 3.2FT/gm

Gene I believe you hit the nail on the head. As Purifoy's ankle has gotten better we are seeing a more complete player utilizing both outside shot and driving. Ideally if Spencer can really take over the 4 spot Purifoy can play his natural position at 3 with Herron at 2.  Purifoy has the talent to be a complete player at 3 scoring, rebounding, getting into passing lanes while some people complained about his D especially getting to the three (ankle had something to do with that plus helping out down low) look at how many passes he deflected in games this year. If our 4 and 5 can improve on D I think you will see outside D improve dramatically as they will not be sagging to help down low.  

Purifoy has the potential to make a huge difference next year with a years experience and being healthy.

Archived