Jacobs 1 of Under Armour's ADs of the year (Updated)

GwillMac6

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised.  He does all of the stuff that most people here don't care about REALLY well. He's solid when it comes to money, graduation rates, community service, game day experience, etc. He's just lacking when it comes to his relationship with the board and the big money, and he kind of sucks at contracts.

You also have to keep in mind that the organizations that give these awards don't usually have a view of the inside.  I worked for a company where my CFO was given CFO of the Year by the local business journal.  The sad thing was, he was an awful CFO.  He was completely short sighted and anyone with half a clue and who had access to the inner workings could see that he was digging a hole that they would have to find a way out of 5 years down the road. We were both gone from the company a few months later and now, years later, a bunch of friends who worked there are scrambling as his ineptitude has caused them to have to slash entire divisions.

Just now, ellitor said:

From this point forward insert your best gif reactions to this news. Here's 2 from me.

6e44c8e69bc7ca3a34777a1788113990b2a6b00a

giphy.gif

ANY DBry gif gets a instant upvote from me!

Well guess that's going to make it hard for the JJ haters to get him fired now...would look kind of foolish though that has never stopped some of  them.

One of four FBS:

http://www.nacda.com/sports/nacda/spec-rel/030217aaa.html?platform=hootsuite

2016-17 Under Armour Athletics Directors of the Year Announced
March 2, 2017

UAwebsite.jpgCLEVELAND -- The National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) announced the 28 winners of the Under Armour AD of the Year Award (ADOY) today. The award spans seven divisions (NCAA FBS, FCS, Division I-AAA, II, III, NAIA/Other Four-Year Institutions and Junior College/Community Colleges). Winners will be recognized during the James J. Corbett Awards Luncheon on Tuesday, June 13 at NACDA's 52nd Annual Convention at the World Center Marriott Resort in Orlando, Florida.

NACDA Executive Director Bob Vecchione explains the Under Armour ADOY Award is essential because it highlights the efforts of athletics directors at all levels for their commitment and positive contributions to student-athletes, campuses and their surrounding communities.

"Once again, we are proud to honor the 28 directors of athletics, from all levels of NACDA’s membership, as the Under Armour Athletics Director of the Year Class of 2016-17,” said Vecchione. “This award was created by the leadership of NACDA in 1998 to honor those athletics directors who have done an outstanding job in the eyes of their peers. In the 19-year history of the program, we have honored in excess of 425 of the top athletics directors in the industry.” 

Winners of the 2016-17 Under Armour AD of the Year Awards are: 

Winner Institution
  Football Bowl Subdivision
Sandy Barbour Penn State University
Boo Corrigan Army West Point
Jay Jacobs Auburn University
Blake James University of Miami
  Football Championship Subdivision
Jeff Bourne James Madison University
Brian Faison University of North Dakota
Lee Reed Georgetown University
Vaughn Williams Kennesaw State University
  Division I-AAA
Patrick Elliott Binghamton University
Jeff Konya Oakland University
Ed McLaughlin VCU
Patrick Nero George Washington University
  Division II
Earl Edwards UC San Diego
Ivan Marquez Concordia College (NY)
Pennie Parker Rollins College
Lisa Sweany Armstrong State University
  Division III
Bridget Belgiovine Wellesley College
Sue Lauder Fitchburg State University
John Neese Hardin-Simmons University
Don Tencher Rhode Island College
  NAIA
Arabie Conner Ottawa University
Willis Pooler Lindsey Wilson College
Bill Popp Reinhardt University
Drew Watson Southeastern University
  Junior/Community Colleges
Dudley "Skip" Bailey Monroe Community College
Rob Chaney Tallahassee Community College
Albert Gasparian Golden West College
Troy Tucker Northampton Community College

Under Armour is now in its ninth year of sponsoring the award and over 200 different ADs have been honored with the award during that time.

“The Athletics Director of the Year Award honors those men and women who are visionary leaders in college athletics,” said Nick Carparelli, Under Armour senior director of college sports. “Under Armour is proud to partner with NACDA to facilitate this recognition for the top athletics directors across all divisions.”

All NACDA-member directors of athletics in the United States, Canada and Mexico who met the criteria were eligible for the award. Among the criteria were service as an AD for a minimum of five academic years; demonstration of commitment to higher education and student-athletes; continuous teamwork, loyalty and excellence; and the ability to inspire individuals or groups to high levels of accomplishments. Additionally, each AD's institution must have passed a compliance check through its appropriate governing body (i.e., NCAA, NAIA, etc.), in which the institution could not have been on probation or cited for a lack of institutional control during the tenure of the current athletics director.

Nominators were NACDA-member directors of athletics, institutional presidents and conference commissioners, as well as other respected intercollegiate athletics administrators. Special Divisional Selection Committees composed of current and former directors of athletics, current and former commissioners and other key athletics administrators voted on nominees for the award. A complete listing of Selection Committee members can be found on NACDA's Web site at www.nacda.com.

About Under Armour (NYSE: UA): Under Armour is a leading developer, marketer, and distributor of branded performance apparel, footwear, and accessories. The brand's moisture-wicking synthetic fabrications are engineered in many different designs and styles for wear in nearly every climate to provide a performance alternative to traditional natural fiber products. The Company's products are sold worldwide and worn by athletes at all levels, from youth to professional, on playing fields around the globe. The Under Armour global headquarters is in Baltimore, Maryland, with European headquarters in Amsterdam's Olympic Stadium, and additional offices in Denver, Hong Kong, Toronto, and Guangzhou, China. For further information, please visit the Company's Web site at www.underarmour.com.

About NACDA: NACDA, now in its 52nd year, is the professional and educational Association for more than 15,700 college athletics administrators at more than 1,700 institutions throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico. More than 6,500 athletics administrators annually attend NACDA & Affiliates Convention Week. Additionally, NACDA manages 17 professional associations and three foundations. For more information on NACDA, visit www.nacda.com.

"...honor those athletics directors who have done an outstanding job in the eyes of their peers..."

Wouldn't you want JJ to keep his job if you were one of his peers?

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm not surprised.  He does all of the stuff that most people here don't care about REALLY well. He's solid when it comes to money, graduation rates, community service, game day experience, etc. He's just lacking when it comes to his relationship with the board and the big money, and he kind of sucks at contracts.

lionheartkc you had a typo in there.  please correct to "he sucks at contracts!"

3 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

lionheartkc you had a typo in there.  please correct to "he sucks at contracts!"

I hear you... I just can't be definitive since I haven't seen all of the contracts he's been involved in. Maybe he got some of them right.

Rob Chaney at Tallahassee Community College is an Auburn man. Saw him Saturday headed to a ball game at TCC wearing his Auburn gear

War Eagle Rob!

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

I'm sure this is in reference to the buyouts he incorporates into his contracts. Almost every major program does that. Jimbo Fisher's buyout is $20 million for instance.

2 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I'm sure this is in reference to the buyouts he incorporates into his contracts. Almost every major program does that. Jimbo Fisher's buyout is $20 million for instance.

Jimbo Fishers worst four years at FSU vs Malzahns four years at Auburn

Jimbo: 10-4, 9-4, 10-3, 10-3

Gus: 12-2, 8-5, 7-6, 8-5

Also, Jimbob has only lost two bowl games in as FSU's HC while Gus has only won one......

Just sayin, someone earned their buyout.

8 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Partially... also related to ill timed extensions and probably a couple of other notable gaffs that I can't think of right now.

Oh... and Fisher has proven himself... we give pretty hefty buy-outs to first year coaches.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Partially... also related to ill timed extensions and probably a couple of other notable gaffs that I can't think of right now.

Oh... and Fisher has proven himself... we give pretty hefty buy-outs to first year coaches.

PREACH!

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

In Jacobs' defense, football has also had an unprecedented level of success with his two coaching hires.  Two BCS National Championship Game appearances, one BCS National Championship.  Heading into 2015, most people thought a defensive coordinator was all that was needed and then back to Playoff contention.  Since 2009, Auburn has been the biggest rollercoaster of highest pinnacle and deep gorge.  That has to wreak havoc on contract negotiations.

JJ does some really good things for Auburn's athletic program. We all get aggravated with things that he does time to time. I would guess that this is not made up and is factual information. I hope that going into the 2017-2018 season. I hope he makes us proud.

55 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

In Jacobs' defense, football has also had an unprecedented level of success with his two coaching hires.  Two BCS National Championship Game appearances, one BCS National Championship.  Heading into 2015, most people thought a defensive coordinator was all that was needed and then back to Playoff contention.  Since 2009, Auburn has been the biggest rollercoaster of highest pinnacle and deep gorge.  That has to wreak havoc on contract negotiations.

As long as people keep defending JJ, I feel I need to point out the obvious.  Since he has been AD, the cumulative rank of men's football, basketball, and baseball is DEAD LAST in the SEC.  But yeah, we're great at some of the tiddly wink sports and we did get that BCS championship.  But Cam Newton had a lot more to do with that than JJ hiring Chizik did.

Archived